The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dear oh Dear, Silly Dicko lol.gif

You don't realise that this is Westminster legislation lol.gif

Law is a devolved matter and in the 14 years of the Scottish Parliament s existance there have been three petitions asking them to amend the Act. On each occasion it was thrown out after "consultation" with the Catholic Church and the Church of Scotland.

Religion plays a very strong role in the Scottish Government just as it does at Westminster. To claim the Scottish Parliament- of all places - is free of religion interference is so absurd it's beyond laughable.

Huge oil deposits found in the South of England.

Several billions of barrels of oil ready for extraction have been discovered in the South of England. That's on top of 1,300 tillion cubic feet of gas in the North of England.

With North Sea Oil production in decline as the viability of extraction decreases isn't it an incredible stupid and bizarre time for Scots to be considering leaving the most successful political union ever?

Several billions of barrels of oil ready for extraction have been discovered in the South of England. That's on top of 1,300 tillion cubic feet of gas in the North of England.

With North Sea Oil production in decline as the viability of extraction decreases isn't it an incredible stupid and bizarre time for Scots to be considering leaving the most successful political union ever?

Proof indeed that there are plenty of resources left around this island - just that much hasn't yet been discovered.

So, if south Englandshire has loads, they will be happy then to see the Scots (who they subsidise apparently) go independent?

How is UK "the most successful political union ever?" - successful for whom exactly?

Proof indeed that there are plenty of resources left around this island - just that much hasn't yet been discovered.

So, if south Englandshire has loads, they will be happy then to see the Scots (who they subsidise apparently) go independent?

How is UK "the most successful political union ever?" - successful for whom exactly?

The rest of the UK has already agreed that the people of Scotland have referendum to decide for themselves democratically if we wish to continue to enjoy the bountiful wealth that the UK generates or if we wish to piss all that away because of the xenophobic ideology of some fannies who take The Corries too seriously. It's not for the English to decide anymore so I've no idea why you keep looking to England for permission.

I put the initial findings of the BGS up on P&B last year to wild derision.

There is plenty of easily gettable oil if they want it but as far as the gas goes they have announced only small areas so far. They estimate that there is over a thousand years worth of gas in England if they use it at present day levels. The Bowland shale find is way deeper than the Marcellus shale find in the US and that alone will see the UK totally self sufficient in energy for a couple of hundred years at least if it chooses to. That will be up to the politicians of course. But it certainly buys us time while they properly develop renewable energy that actually delivers unlike the utter rubbish they are wasting money on just now. The Bowland find is absolutely massive in world terms. We are actually fortunate to live on such a resource rich island. It gives us so many options.

Scotland also has opportunities with shale gas and coalbed methane, its there. The current clowns in control dont want to know.

There is plenty of easily gettable oil if they want it but as far as the gas goes they have announced only small areas so far. They estimate that there is over a thousand years worth of gas in England if they use it at present day levels. The Bowland shale find is way deeper than the Marcellus shale find in the US and that alone will see the UK totally self sufficient in energy for a couple of hundred years at least if it chooses to. That will be up to the politicians of course. But it certainly buys us time while they properly develop renewable energy that actually delivers unlike the utter rubbish they are wasting money on just now. The Bowland find is absolutely massive in world terms. We are actually fortunate to live on such a resource rich island. It gives us so many options.

Scotland also has opportunities with shale gas and coalbed methane, its there. The current clowns in control dont want to know.

Is your grass not getting a bit on the long side?

Although I suspect if there is an unlikely yes vote we will be fracking like f**k up here as we currently take a 70% share of the renewables subsidies from the UK and this will stop. Economic reality will eventually force us into a coherent energy policy in both the UK and in Scotland if the scheme goblins in tartan shell suits actually get a yes vote through.

The rest of the UK has already agreed that the people of Scotland have referendum to decide for themselves democratically if we wish to continue to enjoy the bountiful wealth that the UK generates or if we wish to piss all that away because of the xenophobic ideology of some fannies who take The Corries too seriously. It's not for the English to decide anymore so I've no idea why you keep looking to England for permission.

You disappoint me Dicko - your reel usually gets a bigger bite than that!

Surely one line contradicts the other?

Where is the "bountiful wealth" the UK generates? It sure isn't this part of the island!

There is plenty of easily gettable oil if they want it but as far as the gas goes they have announced only small areas so far.

Getting a bit carried away I think. The report states:-

These figures represent the total amount of oil in the rocks, only some of which can be accessed.

"It is not known what percentage of the oil present in the shale could be commercially extracted," the survey said.

Oh and there is no gas there at all.

Guest TPAFKATS

Law is a devolved matter and in the 14 years of the Scottish Parliament s existance there have been three petitions asking them to amend the Act. On each occasion it was thrown out after "consultation" with the Catholic Church and the Church of Scotland.

Religion plays a very strong role in the Scottish Government just as it does at Westminster. To claim the Scottish Parliament- of all places - is free of religion interference is so absurd it's beyond laughable.

You dont know what you are talking about.

Have a wee think about legislation passed since the inception of Holyrood Parliament. Different religions may try and influence policy and have a view on bills coming before parliament however to claim religions have a "very strong role" is just more of your usual pish.

You dont do facts only innuendo and "quotation"

Edited by TPAFKATS

Guest TPAFKATS

Although I suspect if there is an unlikely yes vote we will be fracking like f**k up here as we currently take a 70% share of the renewables subsidies from the UK and this will stop. Economic reality will eventually force us into a coherent energy policy in both the UK and in Scotland if the scheme goblins in tartan shell suits actually get a yes vote through.

I recall that the energy scaremongering (or was it lovebombing from Ed Davey?) was dismantled a few pages ago on the thread.

Yet another quote taken out of context and put on a Natsi propaganda site. Poor show.

The BT websites tend not to print the quotes of their illustrious leader completely dismantling their campaign in embarrassing fashion. Also the supposedly completely neutral media miraculously seem to dodge this too. Weird!

You think this has been taken out of context but you are happy to support the media lynching of Alex Salmond where they basically quoted one word by reporting that he "admired" Putin. The quote by David Cameron is a full paragraph word for word completely in context with the debate on independence.

Scotland could, would and should be an independent, wealthy country. The yes voters know it and the Prime Minister openly admits it.

Rebutting everything with the same tired old insult of "natsi" doesn't do you any favours.

Voting yes doesn't make you a nationalist, it makes you a democrat. (Find out who said that. It's also taken in context).

What I find interesting is the prospect of what might happen to North Sea Oil if those in charge in Westminster do decide to go ahead with oil extraction in the South East of England. You would imagine that onshore drilling an exploration would be far cheaper and more efficient than drilling in the North Sea. You'd also have to look at where the skilled workers would go. We only have a finite number of people who have served their apprenticeships and who are qualified to work in the various trades in the oil industry. Will they opt to work out in the cold, harsh North Sea, or will they take the road paved with black gold down to the excessively rich South East of England where they'll be extremely well paid for their work, enjoy a much warmer climate, probably a much safer working environment too, and the opportunity to get back home to their familes for dinner every night?

I know which one of the two projects I'd rather be working on, and I can imagine that many of the guys I've known over the years who work as pipefitters, welders, scaffolders, mechanical fitters, and electricians would opt for the South East of England option every single time.

What might that do to a heavily dependent independent Scotland?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

What I find interesting is the prospect of what might happen to North Sea Oil if those in charge in Westminster do decide to go ahead with oil extraction in the South East of England. You would imagine that onshore drilling an exploration would be far cheaper and more efficient than drilling in the North Sea. You'd also have to look at where the skilled workers would go. We only have a finite number of people who have served their apprenticeships and who are qualified to work in the various trades in the oil industry. Will they opt to work out in the cold, harsh North Sea, or will they take the road paved with black gold down to the excessively rich South East of England where they'll be extremely well paid for their work, enjoy a much warmer climate, probably a much safer working environment too, and the opportunity to get back home to their familes for dinner every night?

I know which one of the two projects I'd rather be working on, and I can imagine that many of the guys I've known over the years who work as pipefitters, welders, scaffolders, mechanical fitters, and electricians would opt for the South East of England option every single time.

Do you ever wonder about how supply and demand works? I could happily go and do my job (the exact same job) in an absolute shithole and take home double or triple the money. This option is open to me and all I have to do is say the word. But I don't. I have a family and kids and it's not for me anymore. Some of my good (younger and single) friends however climb over each other at the chance to go and work for 4 weeks in a horrible place to take home what some would consider an annual salary every month and get every other month off. North Sea conditions are luxurious compared to others yet people choose to go to worse conditions, even potentially unsafe conditions. Maybe not you or me but plenty of people do and will continue to do so.

There are already wells being drilled onshore in England. Have been for years and years. Look at Wytch Farm. I can categorically say that you are just plain wrong if you think that the rigs in the North Sea will have even the slightest bit of an issue retaining or attracting workers of all levels for many years to come.

Oh, and Scotland isn't heavily dependent on oil. I could show you some more natsi propaganda to prove this if you like?

Guest TPAFKATS

Does anyone seriously think that the tory heartlands will become oilfields? remember its only a few weeks since Lord Howell, heid honcho in lords & Gideon Osborne's faither in law, stated that fracking should only take place oop north as they are already industrial wastelands and dont matter.

Stuart you really don't know what you are talking about. Shit I should not bite but here goes.

Norway has far more expense extracting oil than the North sea both logistically and salary per head. The Scottish part of the Northsea also pays a higher salary than the south part of the northsea. Give it up FFS,.

Do you ever wonder about how supply and demand works? I could happily go and do my job (the exact same job) in an absolute shithole and take home double or triple the money. This option is open to me and all I have to do is say the word. But I don't. I have a family and kids and it's not for me anymore. Some of my good (younger and single) friends however climb over each other at the chance to go and work for 4 weeks in a horrible place to take home what some would consider an annual salary every month and get every other month off. North Sea conditions are luxurious compared to others yet people choose to go to worse conditions, even potentially unsafe conditions. Maybe not you or me but plenty of people do and will continue to do so.

There are already wells being drilled onshore in England. Have been for years and years. Look at Wytch Farm. I can categorically say that you are just plain wrong if you think that the rigs in the North Sea will have even the slightest bit of an issue retaining or attracting workers of all levels for many years to come.

Oh, and Scotland isn't heavily dependent on oil. I could show you some more natsi propaganda to prove this if you like?

I don't need to wonder. It's part of my political idealogy. :rolleyes:

The massive onshore deposits down south will mean there's a huge shortage of qualified tradesmen, which is brilliant for you and me cause it drives up our earnings. I worked through the early 90s when companies found ways to offer workers more than the NJC rate to attract staff.