Save On Power Bills

faraway saint

Agreed although I don't think switching to a power card is the best way to do it. There are plenty of devices out on the market that will show you your energy consumption and the likes of British Gas have been offering smart meters for ages now. You are right though - it's all about awareness and once you realise how you are wasting money you can start to make decisions about changing the way you use electricity and gas.

One of the large retail companies we work with have initiated a bonus scheme for staff based around awarding them a percentage of any energy saved in their store. Perfectly sensible since reducing costs will increase profit margins just as much as raising prices would. Anyway I was talking to one of their staff last night and he told me that the change in attitude amongst staff is brilliant because now they are demanding heating be turned off and they double check that computers and lights are all turned off as well. He said he'd even stopped charging his mobile phone at work even though the company has always permitted this. They reckon since the incentive started the store is saving around £350 - £500 per day.

Ive looked into the smart meter thing Stu but Ive decided i,m making a saving so i,m happy to continue with what i,m doing. I agree with companies doing this and a saving of £350 - £500 per day is substantial over the course of a year for the store you mention. I like the reducing costs rather than increasing prices to maintain profit margin that this awareness brings as for me that is a long term planning and survival strategy. Nowadays customers demand value and a store that does not increase prices wil retain customers.

There is no such thing as "the cheapest deal" when it comes to gas and electricity.

No two suppliers have exactly comparable tarrifs and this is deliberately done to prevent comparison.

I'm all for shopping around but claiming you're saving £108 here and £35 there is unlikely to be accurate.

The fact is that with differing tarrifs it's only possible to know which deal was best AFTER you've used the energy.

That of course doesn't guarantee you'll use that amount of energy next year.

Unless you've become the master of predicting how much energy you'll use on kettles etc. in the coming year.

Beware of anyone who claims they can tell you the cheapest deal cos they are either getting a cut, thick as mince or fortune tellers.

Sorry to spread some gloom.

Oh dear, yes, us cretins understand that these figures are an estimate but what is known is the tarrif is less do, using a comparable amount of gas or electricity, you will save money, which is worthwhile.

Thanks for explaining this, I'm just away to cook some chips and thick mince.

:)

I'm with OVO Energy and I'm loving it. They pay 3% interest on credit balances - more than most banks. Imagine having an energy company where you are actually happy to pay more monthly than what the energy you use costs.

Oh and the best way to save money on your annual bills - don't use so much f**king energy! It's really simple. Turn off radiators in rooms that aren't occupied. Buy a large thermometer for your living room and turn off your central heating when the living room is at 18°C, and always ensure your heating is turned off at least one hour before the house is empty.

18c? Fcuk coming to your house, jumpers and gloves a necessity, I like a comfortable temperature to relax.

Nae wonder you go on holiday lots, get away from freezing house. ;)

Agree on the hour rule, our timer is set an hour before normal bedtime.

We moved over to a fixed tariff with First Utility last year. it is in place until March, so we'll get another winter out of it.

Not sure what deals they have just now, though.

I like fixed term agreements, gives a decent period of stability with no sudden surprises.

Just have to look around close to the end date.

18c? Fcuk coming to your house, jumpers and gloves a necessity, I like a comfortable temperature to relax.

It is a bit ironic, however, coming from a man who has boasted about having 148 TVs in his house.

Well it's your money to waste. We've found that if you turn the central heating off when it gets to 18c the temp will continue to increase for a while then hold comfortably for three to four hours even in the coldest part of the winter. Below 16c starts to feel cold for me if I'm sitting doing nothing. Going for a higher temperature will mean the rate of decline in temperature is more rapid and more noticeable.

Dave , all they are doing is putting you on a two tier system which , may save you money if , you don't use the house much and everything is switched off . Other than that. .

Thats exactly whats going on...

don't worry mate i worked for Scottish Power for 4 or 5 years, i know a leccy bill inside out.

Tell Oakey, he's in a real bad mood, he must have had a massive bill for his gas and electricity.

Nope. My energy bill keeps dropping because I don't have things switched on and on standby.

We hardly use heating at all and only really heat the room we're in with a halogen lamp.

The bedrooms are easily warmed up the same way.

My bills are really very small indeed.

Nope. My energy bill keeps dropping because I don't have things switched on and on standby.

We hardly use heating at all and only really heat the room we're in with a halogen lamp.

The bedrooms are easily warmed up the same way.

My bills are really very small indeed.

Wow, a halogen lamp, fun fun fun in your house right enough.

:) :) :)

Wow, a halogen lamp, fun fun fun in your house right enough.

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Hey don't slate it until you've tried it.

Dinner tonight is fish fingers cooked over a blazing log in the fireplace using tongs followed by parsley and raspberry ice cream (I'm serious about this - it's delicious). The ice cream is home made the traditional way using brute force. My son is in his room right now pounding away at it.

Admit it. You're salivating.

Dinner tonight is fish fingers cooked over a blazing log in the fireplace using tongs followed by parsley and raspberry ice cream (I'm serious about this - it's delicious). The ice cream is home made the traditional way using brute force. My son is in his room right now pounding away at it.

If salivating means pissing myself, you're right.

He'll go blind!whistling.gif