St Mirren V Ross County Top League 17/11/13

shull

Never mind self indulgent.

We have our very own plague of self-pitying pish on this thread.

FFS we play them again and we beat them again. Just accept it and get on with it.

Can't believe it's Monday and people are still whining.

The highlights showed how bad the surface was. Correct decision to call it off.

I've just watched the match on the sideboard and I really wonder if it should even have started. I reckon it was 50/50 at 3pm. Conditions in the second half were terrible and the correct decision was made. I really doubt if an Old Firm game would have been treated differently. A few guys posted on here at half time that they thought the game was in doubt and they were correct.

You suggested that describing someone as "self indulgent" on the internet was a serious issue. I didn't agree.

I've not read the whole thread but you're obviously a bit upset about things. Apologies if I've upset you further but I think Collum's performance was farcical (you could even call it self indulgent!), showed a total lack of consideration for the paying fans and I don't think the pitch looked any worse when he abandoned it than it did at the end of the first half.

Hopefully, that's not me still whining or crying on Monday but, if it is, I'll live with that.

Edited to add:-

Sorry, I forgot to answer to your Old Firm scenario. If Celtic and Rangers were involved in a match with bad weather conditions and people from Celtic or Rangers agreed that one of their "stars" could potentially be injured then I reckon they would agree for the game to be abandoned. Would they be happy about the game being abandoned? Of course not but if it meant not risking their players bodies, especially if one or both had a European fixture coming up then I think they would be prepared to agree to abandon the match with the possibility of upsetting their supporters.

Maybe if it was 0-0.. doubt it very much both clubs would agree if one of them was 2-0 up.

Aye, I'll admit that I'm a cherry picker, that I don't feel inclined to read 19 pages of stuff on a football forum, that I was a touch upset about a wasted journey on Saturday, that I am a "grown up adult" and that I'm a hypocrite about football & St Mirren.

However, I think I've seen the light now due to your persuasive arguments. I'll be sure to be happy and reasonable at all times at the football from now on, and will be sure to applaud Mr Collum every time I see him in the future. I truly regret having exposed myself as such a shallow, hostile & pro St Mirren individual. Please accept my apologies Maximillion, your patience, understanding and all round incredibly reasonable stance has overwhelmed me.

Aye, I'll admit that I'm a cherry picker, that I don't feel inclined to read 19 pages of stuff on a football forum, that I was a touch upset about a wasted journey on Saturday, that I am a "grown up adult" and that I'm a hypocrite about football & St Mirren.

However, I think I've seen the light now due to your persuasive arguments. I'll be sure to be happy and reasonable at all times at the football from now on, and will be sure to applaud Mr Collum every time I see him in the future. I truly regret having exposed myself as such a shallow, hostile & pro St Mirren individual. Please accept my apologies Maximillion, your patience, understanding and all round incredibly reasonable stance has overwhelmed me.

Reported, sarcasm in the extreme. wink.png

What was the official attendance at the match.

Why was it not given out on Saturday and why is it not stated in any of the media since ?

As for Collum, he is a good ref and he made the correct decision on Saturday.

Remember, he gave us the opportunity to get the pitch playable.

Don't normally get too excited about this sort of situation but it seems to me that Collums only real error here was starting 2nd half - he could have looked at the pitch without any bouncing or passing. of the ball and maybe even got a forecast on when or if the rain might be easing soon. The reaction of some of the fans not so much at the match but on here, is,I think pretty shocking. Before anyone bangs on about costs of attending half a game, my son and I have a round trip of about 120 miles for a home match and will be there for the rearranged match even if it is played midweek

I was at this match http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1967&GameID=1123 and when it was abandoned people grumped a bit and went home (didn't even have the pub to go to at 4pm in those days to sit and moan about it!). The most it would be discussed after the Saturday would be at work on the Monday e.g. 'were you at the game' - 'aye it was pissing doon' - end of story. I wonder how many people wrote to the SFA or the referee to complain about that abandonment - let me think, possibly somewhere between none and zero.

Time to move on and hope we can be 2-0 up at half time on a nice dry day (or even night) when it is replayed.

COYS

Reported for not having maximillion on ignore.

Would all those greetin about the game being called off still have been greetin if we'd been losing 2-0?Naw?I didn't think so.

The Ref made the correct decision about the pitch.The only thing he did wrong was waiting half an hour to call it off.

Can anybuddie remember the last time we had a game abandoned?

I'm not really upset about it being called off. I'm upset about the way he actually went about it. As i stated in a previous post he should have brought the team captains out and let them try and pass it too each other take there pro opinion and then called it off instead of taking about 30 minutes bouncing and kicking the ball like a 4 year old. But correct decision in the end

Is it not about time we had another shout of "Willie Collum"? Where's Vambo when you need him?!

He's comin to the rescue... WULLIE COLLUM!!

I see you are still "cherry picking" eh?

Can I ask why? Is reading nineteen pages a bit beyond you?

I'm not upset about this whole thing. I was there on Saturday and I actually watched it all again on BBC Alba later on Saturday evening. I actually laughed watching it on Alba at how bizarre and unusual the whole thing was and when I came on here and seen people so upset and angry at Willie Collum that actually made me laugh even more. Here we are, Monday morning and people are still obsessed with Willie Collum and his "performance" and yet you say that I'm the one who's upset? lol.gif

If anything I'm slightly embarrassed that some of my so called "fellow supporters" seem to think that the events on Saturday are a small part of some bizarre "conspiracy theory" by Officials at the SFA against St. Mirren Football Club. Why so called "grown up adults" are obsessed by Mr Collum to the extent that they feel the need to call him names and post personal abuse about him is beyond me. At the expense of once more repeating myself because people like you don't seem to be able to read/be bothered to read/or understand, if you had read the whole thread you would have read a post by someone suggesting that Willie Collum had to leave by an alternative exit on Saturday because of people waiting for him outside the main entrance to the Stadium. Is this normal behaviour to you? Isn't that more "self-indulgent" (to borrow the phrase originally used by some guy on here and now used by yourself) behaviour than Willie Collum doing what he is supposed to do when the suitability of a pitch is in doubt? I have already posted this - but again because you seem incapable of reading a "whole thread", I'll post it again for you - I acknowledge that Willie Collum took far too long to abandon the football match. In my opinion he should have done it earlier than he did but none of us can change what happened. You and others banging on about how he "tested" the pitch with the ball and all the rest of it won't change what happened so why are you getting all hot and bothered under the collar about it?

It's only football at the end of the day Edin. If the match was played at Dingwall in the same weather and we were losing 2-0 and Collum made the same decision would St. Mirren fans be so angry? If they were annoyed and angry because they had travelled all the way up there then fair enough but people who hadn't travelled would probably think "ok, the game was abandoned, not the best of circumstances but we were losing so at least we get another chance at the game." This is what you call hypocrisy, Edin. Even if the game had still been at St. Mirren Park and Ross County were winning, I honestly suspect some St. Mirren fans would have welcomed abandoning the game.

I said before that Willie Collum was in a no win situation - damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He made his decision eventually. If you can't handle it then that probably says more about you and your unhealthy obsession with what happens on a football field.

whistling.gif

It would only have been around 5 pages if you take out your posts and replies to them!

Would all those greetin about the game being called off still have been greetin if we'd been losing 2-0?Naw?I didn't think so.

The Ref made the correct decision about the pitch.The only thing he did wrong was waiting half an hour to call it off.

Aye, we wouldn't have been greetin cos we would've been too busy laughing. That 'hypocrisy' is what being a football fan is all about.

I remember a game against Dundee in the early 80s called off at Love St. Cammy Fraser had scored a volley into the top corner. A torrential downpour saw the game abandoned before half time & we won the replayed match 2-1!

Was also down at Stranraer in the mid 90s when the game was abandoned at half time. 0-0 I think and we beat them the following Saturday after another long trip.

Guest somner9

I'm not really upset about it being called off. I'm upset about the way he actually went about it. As i stated in a previous post he should have brought the team captains out and let them try and pass it too each other take there pro opinion and then called it off instead of taking about 30 minutes bouncing and kicking the ball like a 4 year old. But correct decision in the end

Aye and Goody would have followed up his pass with a two-footed aerial launched slide tackle becoming the first club captain to get a straight red when testing a pitch for playability!

I remember a game against Dundee in the early 80s called off at Love St. Cammy Fraser had scored a volley into the top corner. A torrential downpour saw the game abandoned before half time & we won the replayed match 2-1!

The thing about that Dundee match is that it wasn't played in the depths of winter. I was the last home game of the season, in May. There can't have be too many other matches that have been abandoned in May.

I might be imagining it, but did a fog bound game get abandoned after Graham Fenton finally scored his first goal for us? Edited by Thorizaar

The thing about that Dundee match is that it wasn't played in the depths of winter. I was the last home game of the season, in May. There can't have be too many other matches that have been abandoned in May.

An Airdrie game on the last weekend of the season was postponed a couple of years ago. Also, I think a Raith Rovers pre season friendly was abandoned a couple of Julys ago because of flooding after a thunderstorm.

I might be imagining it, but did a fog bound game get abandoned after Graham Fenton finally scored his first goal for us?

The game was played to a finish.Killie fans shouting for game to be abandoned after we took the lead with Saints Fans wanting it called off after Killie equalised then took the lead.

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2000&GameID=2944