Partick Thistle V St Mirren Top League 9/11/13

shull

Murder McLeod.

he is without a doubt the most useless pundit / commentator in Scottish football. I refuse to listen to any games he's on as I just end up shouting at the wireless. And someone tell him it's not NEW St Mirren Park FFS. It's Love Street.

That's as poor as I've seen Paul McGowan play...his and Newton's first touch were woeful. Which was in sharp contrast to McGinn and McLean who were excellent. Steven Thompson is simply "God".

Saints were dire on the ball today, hardly surprising since 1/2 of our 4 attacking mid's were having shockers. 

Defensively though we were spot on. Naismith and Kelly, aided by Newton and McGinn in front of them nullified the Thistle full backs forward runs and cut out  the diagonal balls towards them. It was those diagonals which tore us apart in the reverse fixture. That then forced Thistle to play through the middle, through Goodwin and 2 centre halves. They just didn't have the creativity to unlock the defence. Their strength and quality is in the wider areas, and if that is nullified their attack looks very toothless. Well done to the manager and players for that.

Great to see Saints better defensively, and win ugly for a change. Just hope for as good a performance next week, as we had in the abandoned game.

for all gowser and Newton wernt great they made the second goal beautifully. Great day, great points, great goals, great bevy. COYS!

Steven Thompson remains far too good for us. As he's a fan, he's simply providing us a service. He could get a far better contract elsewhere.

What a guy, what a player.

He's really the difference between the 2 teams today.

We lost the midfield until they went down to 10 men.

But McLean was still the best midfield player on show today

Fantastic result today, the pressure was on cheesy to produce and he did, he had a great game, also thought

Mclean had another superb match, motm imo,,, there's no doubt the 3-0 scoreline flatters us but wgaf its about

time we pulled off a result like that,we've had our fair share of being on the receiving end in games like that.....

PS, did anyone see TC embrace Danny at the final whistle with big hugs and a pat on the back, it had the look of

you've been through a helluva lot lately but you got this one spot on boss, i'm chuffed to bits for you...and so am i.....

A fantastic result without playing well. That's the sign of a good team.

I'm glad for Cheesey as it would have been easy for him to lose faith in his ability.

McLean is certainly playing a lot better since he was moved inside.

Thompson is back to his best but he needs to reintroduce his goal celebration as my four year old grandkid has perfected the copy.

Downside is we lose Goodie for the RC game I think.

Cracking result for us today in a game that strangely we didn't actually play that well. Thommo won us that game today and the man is a legend - caused their back line problems all day and deserved his two goals. Felt that we sat very deep all afternoon but perhaps were concerned about Thistle's pace in behind so to be fair I can see the logic in how we set up. Cheesy and Darren were solid as were Naismith and Kelly. Hopefully we take a bit of confidence from this and push on up the league. punk.gif

BIG problem with pitch at Firhill, sooooooo many players losing their footing today. great result but performance not the best. How many times has it been the other way round......we will take it and move on. BTW the Saints support was the best, could not see many empty seats in our area.

he is without a doubt the most useless pundit / commentator in Scottish football. I refuse to listen to any games he's on as I just end up shouting at the wireless. And someone tell him it's not NEW St Mirren Park FFS. It's Love Street.

Aye, Turdo started that " New St Mirren Park " shite today.

Lazy ignorant fanny.

Would he mistakenly call a former Sellik diver , Peter Larsson instead of Henrik ?

Steven Thompson remains far too good for us. As he's a fan, he's simply providing us a service. He could get a far better contract elsewhere.

What a guy, what a player.

Strongly disagree here. He is not too good for us at all. In my opinion we are only a couple of solid defenders and an ideal strike partner (someone like stevie may at the fakes) who can score plenty and run all day from us being a first class side with plenty youngsters coming up now.

He will be greatful (especially since he is a fan) to be a part of this transformation at the club.

Who knows he may be our gaffer one day when we are up in euro spots and have enough money to buy the old land back off tesco and build a big stand, a wee stand, a half a stand and a north bank stand. :) ......... Away to dreamland now !

Lee Mair mentioned on Twitter that he has a tight groin, nothing major.

I for one won't complain about team selection. Danny got it spotsonville!

Has come out with sympathy pains for Teale,whistling.gif who has just had a Hernia operation.

Speedy recovery Gary.

A very strange game today we were outplayed for most of it but seemingly this was the plan. Well done today a great result

Thistle are a very fast counter attacking team with great width, sometimes it's best to let this sort of team have more of the ball ..

Peroni tasting especially good tonight :D

Edited by davidg