St Mirren V Qots Scottish Cup Round 4 Replay

Lex

Biggest game of the season so far.

Exiting both cups at the first hurdle to lower league opposition is frankly unthinkable. Has it ever happened before? Let's hope it remains unthinkable.

Anything less than progression is a disgrace.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

The reality is this is another difficult game, away to a half decent side always has "shock" written all over it.

Not a "disgrace" if we lose but still a shock none the less as we're playing much better than the first game against them.

Still confident, as we should be. thumbup2.gif

PS Notice it's another "biggest game of the season so far" from our resident soothsayer ..............not sure I can keep count of these. lol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Exiting both cups at the first hurdle to lower league opposition is frankly unthinkable. Has it ever happened before? Let's hope it remains unthinkable.

The great oracle speaks...........more overblown pish.

Are you incapable of simply enjoying the game without the amateur dramatics?

It happened in 1987-88 season. Losing to St Johnstone (in the 2nd division at the time) in the League Cup and then going out to Clydebank in the Scottish Cup. Both games at Love Street.

It happened in 1987-88 season. Losing to St Johnstone (in the 2nd division at the time) in the League Cup and then going out to Clydebank in the Scottish Cup. Both games at Love Street.

Sounds horrible. We've already had our worst start to a league campaign for nearly a century this season, let's hope we don't have our worst performance in the cups for over a quarter of a century to go along with it.

I'd take a draw on Saturday, can't see us losing in Paisley against a team from the lower leagues...

Sounds horrible. We've already had our worst start to a league campaign for nearly a century this season, let's hope we don't have our worst performance in the cups for over a quarter of a century to go along with it.

I'd take a draw on Saturday, can't see us losing in Paisley against a team from the lower leagues...

Yet another "set up" post, you're some boy.

Spouting out as many negative "facts" as possible and prophesising possible doomsday scenarios if we lose.

Jeesus, lighten up Lex, life not all that bad. It's football, nothing more, nothing less.

It was. 1-0 against St Johnstone & 3-0 against Clydebank. Never even scored a goal. On the plus side, both games were at home unlike this season and we HAVE actually managed a goal. So not all bad, eh? smile.png

Any word on how many tickets we've sold?

I think a big away support could make all the difference here, and I'm really looking forward to it.

If we win this game, and keep up our recent solid form in the league, we could be contemplating an end to a highly memorable year for all involved in St Mirren.

Yet another "set up" post, you're some boy.

Spouting out as many negative "facts" as possible and prophesising possible doomsday scenarios if we lose.

Jeesus, lighten up Lex, life not all that bad. It's football, nothing more, nothing less.

Of course it's only football, i never lose any sleep over it win lose or draw. You can't play down the importance of this game though in a footballing context though. It's huge on and off the park. The revenue getting through to the next round alone could generate could be the difference between signing Kello or not.

Having only 2 cup games in a season is the kind of nightmare scenario football clubs accountants dread. We had 8 last year and 9 the year before IIRC. To go from that to only 2 in one season is a helluva lot of gate money/TV revenue to lose out on. Say each game generates an average 50k profit. Going out on Saturday will mean the club loses out on around 300k worth of revenue compared to recent seasons. That's a huge amount of money for a club like us, that's 6 senior players wages annual wages for goodness sake.

I'm sorry if these facts make you feel uncomfortable.

Not to mention the on park factor of having nothing but league games to think about for about 8 months, the cups a welcome and sometimes glorious distraction for fans and players alike.

It was. 1-0 against St Johnstone & 3-0 against Clydebank. Never even scored a goal. On the plus side, both games were at home unlike this season and we HAVE actually managed a goal. So not all bad, eh? smile.png

It's rather disconcerting to note that the last time it happened was also the season after we last won a major trophy...

Having said all that i'm backing us to win this tie. QOTS are in a bit of a mess and their fans are heavily on their managers back if you read PNB. Couple this with the form we are in and the fact that despite playing terribly and Harkins starting instead of Gowser in Dumfries a few months ago we were unlucky not to go through and i can't see us not getting through this time around.

Edited by Lex

I am very confident we will progress past Queens. It might take a replay back in Paisley but there is no way they will beat us 3 times within 6 months. Just my gut feeling that the side will be hurting after the league cup exit in August. It reminds me of the Ayr United cup tie in the league cup last season where we went out to make amends for our shortcomings the year before. This will be a great cup tie.

We'll spank them in this game, the players will be right up for it, no way are we going out both cups this early. Fancy us to score few goals here.

Got to agree with you here, the players will be out for revenge and we are a very different team from the one that lost there in the League Cup. I reckon we will win 3 or 4 nil.