Free Entry At Firhill For Serving Armed Forces

partickman

OK.... I'm setting myself up to be shot down in flames here by daring to speak the thing we dare not speak of... but it really get's me and here goes... ...

before I start... irrespective of what follows... kudos Jags... a forward thinking club prepared to do something different and reach out to the community... ...

now for my gripe... ... ... ...

aye... It's remembrance Sunday and I will have my poppy on and be paying my respects... ...

but why is a service person more worthy of free entry than a nurse in Yorkhill facing dying kids day after day?

Help For Heroes... ... it is a charity that since set up has taken in millions... ...

but as far as I can see... our Government employs military personnel... it should damned well look after them should they come back needing support... that is NOT the job of a charity!

People don't choose to have cancer, dementia, and a myriad of other illnesses that charities try to support.

People willingly elect to serve their country... the very country that SHOULD support them to the fullest extent when they have finished active duty. But if a "charity" takes millions from the charity pool to support them them why the hell should the government bother fulfilling their duties?

I have an acquaintance who was in the military and has now retired... he fundraises for Help For Heroes... as a result, he gets numerous freebies... free concert tickets... discounts galore... ... ... he never once saw active service... he did the bloody payroll FFS!!!!!!

How the hell is it right that a payroll operator gets freebies that a nurse in a hospice or a kids hospital; that a care-worker on minimum wage wiping arses and lovingly doing whatever needs done simply cannot?

(aaaaaaaaaaaaand breathe!!!)

You make some good points BEK.  The problem is for some reason I've never seen this kind of topic get a thread of its own.  It has come up in other threads where it wasn't necessary like when Slash posted a thread about a concert raising money for Soldiers and some people on here who seem to have extreme views about British Soldiers ruined it to the point Slash had to close what was basically a thread advertising a Charity Concert where he was going to be playing with his band.  If it was started as a new thread it might be worth folk discussing but I personally am not 100% comfortable with it being discussed in other threads - that's just my thoughts maybe other people aren't so bothered.

As I said though, you made some good and interesting points though mate.

Fair point.. I really don't want to undermine or gatecrash the original point... so if a mod feels its appropriate then shoosh me or move me please.

OK.... I'm setting myself up to be shot down in flames here by daring to speak the thing we dare not speak of... but it really get's me and here goes... ...

before I start... irrespective of what follows... kudos Jags... a forward thinking club prepared to do something different and reach out to the community... ...

now for my gripe... ... ... ...

aye... It's remembrance Sunday and I will have my poppy on and be paying my respects... ...

but why is a service person more worthy of free entry than a nurse in Yorkhill facing dying kids day after day?

Help For Heroes... ... it is a charity that since set up has taken in millions... ...

but as far as I can see... our Government employs military personnel... it should damned well look after them should they come back needing support... that is NOT the job of a charity!

People don't choose to have cancer, dementia, and a myriad of other illnesses that charities try to support.

People willingly elect to serve their country... the very country that SHOULD support them to the fullest extent when they have finished active duty. But if a "charity" takes millions from the charity pool to support them them why the hell should the government bother fulfilling their duties?

I have an acquaintance who was in the military and has now retired... he fundraises for Help For Heroes... as a result, he gets numerous freebies... free concert tickets... discounts galore... ... ... he never once saw active service... he did the bloody payroll FFS!!!!!!

How the hell is it right that a payroll operator gets freebies that a nurse in a hospice or a kids hospital; that a care-worker on minimum wage wiping arses and lovingly doing whatever needs done simply cannot?

(aaaaaaaaaaaaand breathe!!!)

You've beaten me to it TBH.

We are indulging in Dianafication of our armed forces personnel.

A ridiculous over compensation which highlights our underlying guilt about what they've done.

As I've repeatedly said on here, engaging in this type of hero worshipping undermines any legitimate cause they may feel they have and just pisses people off.

It's the same thing with that Smeaton bloke.

As Scots we were almost all proud of him for about 20 seconds after his actions at the airport during the terrorist attack.

And then the Dianification of him started, he began appearing on chat shows and we saw him for what he truly was.

The armed forces are going the same way aided and abetted by serving and ex personnel who are frankly loving the attention right now and won't do a thing to stop it

In the meantime, legitimate and genuine charities are struggling to be heard.

I applaud in principle what PT are doing in regard letting some people in for free but like others would like to see this expanded to other groups possibly more worthy. I have a friend who is a paramedic and believe they are very worthy of free admission to games. Likewise nurses and firemen that I KNOW have saved lives. Or carers or counsellors or .....

I feel limitation to Armed Forces personnel makes the offer smack of politics and jingoism.

Hi St Mirren fans,

If there are any of you are serving in the armed forces then you can gain free entry to Firhill this saturday

Please see details here

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2013-2014/november_2013/free_admission_for_armed_services

Thanks

i once gave a wren a sausage,does that count as serving the armed forces,,,whistling.gif

Maybe we should let all doctors, nurses, firefighters etc in for free to next weeks home game to thank them for the work they do.

And I can hear our board saying "aye that'll be right" as I type this!

Your right about that tried too organise a game for the guys when we came back from afghan a few years ago and got knocked back from the club for a free game. Now some of the guys dont go anymore.