Dannys Contract Renewal

The club are in a decent position in the sense there is absolutely no demand for Danny's managerial services from other clubs. Despite almost every big club job in Scotland being up for grabs at least once during his tenure here he's never been a serious candidate for any of them. There never has been demand and there never will be.

Therefore we can just let his contract run down and make a decision in May.

Personally, I think the club will release a statement in May thanking Danny for his hard work and for the success he brought to the club, but that the club will not be renewing his contract.

Nice and clean break assuming we finish above 11th.

Personally I think Danny should get another contract, and the opportunity to continue to grow this young side.

But that aside...

ICT, the team many people want us to emulate certainly in terms of league performance, decided that John Hughes was the best person for the job. John Hughes!

If that's the best that's out there for a top 6 side, then who is out there for us? I certainly wouldn't want to see Danny replaced with an unproven lower league manager. As IMO that just stalls the club and team back in its progression.

I'd also disagree about waiting until the end of the season to make a decision. Many contracts in Scotland expire at the end of May, and letting Danny's contract run down until then. Before appointing a replacement or renewing the contract, would mean we potentially miss out on a number of players who are out of contract and set us back for the following season.

The problem I have with Danny is his work in the transfer market. It was woeful this summer- 5 out of 7 signed in the summer not at the club in January?

I said last year I didn't feel he could rebuild in the summer and that was sadly correct. Whilst I accept every signing is a gamble can the club depend on him next season?

ICT, the team many people want us to emulate certainly in terms of league performance, decided that John Hughes was the best person for the job. John Hughes!

If that's the best that's out there for a top 6 side, then who is out there for us? I certainly wouldn't want to see Danny replaced with an unproven lower league manager. As IMO that just stalls the club and team back in its progression.

Inverness had two issues.

1. Most people considered that Terry Butcher had taken them as far as you can reasonably expect and there wasn't much else bar winning a cup, which is still possible this season, that you could do with ICT. Therefore the only way was down a bit.

2. Majority of managers are based in the central belt and don't want to relocate or travel such a distance.

Edited by flyingscot

The problem I have with Danny is his work in the transfer market. It was woeful this summer- 5 out of 7 signed in the summer not at the club in January?

I said last year I didn't feel he could rebuild in the summer and that was sadly correct. Whilst I accept every signing is a gamble can the club depend on him next season?

Agree 100%.

The goalkeeping situation was a shambles.

Panic signing of Grainger when we had a good young left back there. No need to bring in a wage of that level, a squad player would have done.

The Imrie carry on. Transfer fee then shown the door.

Gary Harkins.

The Lee Mair carry on.

Prior to all this, his man management skills have been very poor. Contracts promised and then withdrawn at the last minute.

Tactically he can do it, we've all seen it. He has set the team out and came up with results, big results. Other times his decisions are baffling.

I'm not sure where I stand tbh, I'm probably 60/40 in favour of a new contract.

I don't think Danny Lennon is without his merits as a manager. He has shown a commitment to bringing through young players, and McGinn, McLean, Naismith and Kelly in particular have justified that commitment.

My difficulty with Lennon is in relation to three factors -

1. Motivation - all too often, he sits in his dugout, isn't out encouraging, making tactical changes, etc. This might be his style, but I think it maybe transmits to players when they look over at the bench and see the manager sitting there and not out encouraging.

2. Signings - since coming to the club, his signings have been truly woeful. Out of his permanent signings, only McGowan, Teale (after his poor first season) and Thompson have been clear successes.

3. Tactics - I can't understand why, in some matches, i.e. Dundee United, he gets his tactics spot on, but in others, i.e. Motherwell and yesterday, he makes obvious mistakes, like playing McGowan in a deeper role where he is always less influential. I suppose Lennon's inconsistency is reflected in our own inconsistency as a team this season.

Without meaning to be disrespectful to him, I see his perfect job as working with young players in a coaching role, bringing them on and developing them, rather than being manager. He reminds me a wee bit of when Eddie May was promoted to the Falkirk manager's job having built a reputation as a youth coach, but was found seriously wanting in a managerial role.

I don't think Danny Lennon is without his merits as a manager. He has shown a commitment to bringing through young players, and McGinn, McLean, Naismith and Kelly in particular have justified that commitment.

1. Motivation - all too often, he sits in his dugout, isn't out encouraging, making tactical changes, etc. This might be his style, but I think it maybe transmits to players when they look over at the bench and see the manager sitting there and not out encouraging.

2. Signings - since coming to the club, his signings have been truly woeful. Out of his permanent signings, only McGowan, Teale (after his poor first season) and Thompson have been clear successes.

3. Tactics - I can't understand why, in some matches, i.e. Dundee United, he gets his tactics spot on, but in others, i.e. Motherwell and yesterday, he makes obvious mistakes, like playing McGowan in a deeper role where he is always less influential. I suppose Lennon's inconsistency is reflected in our own inconsistency as a team this season.

Without meaning to be disrespectful to him, I see his perfect job as working with young players in a coaching role, bringing them on and developing them, rather than being manager. He reminds me a wee bit of when Eddie May was promoted to the Falkirk manager's job having built a reputation as a youth coach, but was found seriously wanting in a managerial role.

People have short memories and seem to fotget the players that Danny has brought to the club who have been great to watch and made great contributions to the team:

Permanent:

Samson

Kello

Dillo

Van Zanten (2nd spell at club)

Traevner

Tessalaar

McAusland (2nd spell at club)

McGregor

Goodwin

McGowan

Teale

Thompson

Hasselbaink

Loan:

Dummett

Newton

Campbell

Goncalves

Not to mention all the young, raw talent he has turned into very good first team players, all of whom he gave their debuts:

McLean

McGinn

Kelly

Naismith

I think Danny has done well to keep us in the top flight for 4 years, given us our highest top flight finish for almost 30 years, given us our first national trophy in 26 years, turned youth players into first team players and has us playing a decent standard of football to watch. IMHO he is definitely worth a new contract and I would be more than happy for his level of success at our club to continue.

Edited by ted

People have short memories and seem to fotget the players that Danny has brought to the club who have been great to watch and made great contributions to the team:

Permanent:

Samson

Kello

Dillo

Van Zanten (2nd spell at club)

Traevner

Tessalaar

McAusland (2nd spell at club)

McGregor

Goodwin

McGowan

Teale

Thompson

Hasselbaink

Loan:

Dummett

Newton

Campbell

Goncalves

Not to mention all the young, raw talent he has turned into very good first team players, all of whom he gave their debuts:

McLean

McGinn

Kelly

Naismith

I think Danny has done well to keep us in the top flight for 4 years, given us our highest top flight finish for almost 30 years, given us our first national trophy in 26 years, turned youth players into first team players and has us playing a decent standard of football to watch. IMHO he is definitely worth a new contract and I would be more than happy for his level of success at our club to continue.

I like the cut of your jib Ted. thumbup2.gif

PS Quite liked your film as well. whistling.gif

Edited by faraway saint

sorry, i missed Eddie May winning a national trophy or keeping a side in the SPL for 4 years. You'll have to remind me when that happened.

I would be absolutely astounded if Danny's contract was renewed.

Absolutely astounded.

I'd assume that decision will be made closer or at the end of the season?

A major part of that decision making process will be our final league place and, to a lesser extent, if we progress in the Scottish cup.

Not some dafties with a personal dislike of the manger. whistling.gif

PS Assumptions can sometimes be just that. wink.png

Edited by faraway saint

I'd assume that decision will be made closer or at the end of the season?

A major part of that decision making process will be our final league place and, to a lesser extent, if we progress in the Scottish cup.

Not some dafties with a personal dislike of the manger. whistling.gif

PS Assumptions can sometimes be just that. wink.png

Indeed. Yet another dreadful league finish will ensure his contract won't be renewed.

He won't be kept in a job cos some dafties, who seldom support the team, think the manager is bigger than the club. whistling.gif

Indeed. Yet another dreadful league finish will ensure his contract won't be renewed.

He won't be kept in a job cos some dafties, who seldom support the team, think the manager is bigger than the club. whistling.gif

Want a bet? whistling.gif

Still loving the fact that anyone, whatever the reason, doesn't/can't attend isn't a "supporter" yet if your a clown and attend you are great. 1eye.gif

Damn, you're on ignore. tongue.png

Edited by faraway saint

be careful what you wish for trumpet drawers...you might end up with McCoist

Given what a (excuse my language) rip roaring c**t of the squad he's made this season, there's surely no way the BoD can continue to back him.

I know the BoD read this forum, and I'm sure that as rational supporters of the football club that BoD realise that this is Danny's final season in charge.

Given what a (excuse my language) rip roaring c**t of the squad he's made this season, there's surely no way the BoD can continue to back him.

I know the BoD read this forum, and I'm sure that as rational supporters of the football club that BoD realise that this is Danny's final season in charge.

The "ego" just keeps getting bigger and bigger. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

God help us if Lennon leaves.

Just to add an alternative point of view, if you can allow some people to speak for themselves, I would wait until the end of the season before making any rational decision. bye1.gif

Thanks for reading this BOD. thumbup2.gif

Panic is in the air. I think we have steadied a sinking ship. After the summer signing disaster and the horrendous start we made to this season I would have bit the hand off you to be in the position we're in come this January. We now have the chance to sort out the squad and we're in a better position than I thought we might be in. Danny's position is secure and he still has a good chance to be given a new contract come the end of the season. I really hope he turns things around

Panic is in the air. I think we have steadied a sinking ship. After the summer signing disaster and the horrendous start we made to this season I would have bit the hand off you to be in the position we're in come this January. We now have the chance to sort out the squad and we're in a better position than I thought we might be in. Danny's position is secure and he still has a good chance to be given a new contract come the end of the season. I really hope he turns things around

I hope he turns it round too, but there does come a point when you wonder if he knows what he is doing, and that point has occurred many times this season.

Even ignoring the shambolic dealings in the transfer market this season, his tactical decisions have at times been crazy. Everyone can see that we're a much more effective team with McGowan in an attacking midfield role, and our good run coincided with McGowan playing there, he then changes it, pushes McGowan back to a more defensive midfield role and suddenly we start losing again. Playing 4-4-2 with McGowan in a deep role, we have won 0, drawn 1 and lost 8 this season. With McGowan further forward, either in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, we have won 5, drawn 4 and lost 2. Its not rocket science, everyone can see how we need to play, why cant Lennon?

I hope he turns it round too, but there does come a point when you wonder if he knows what he is doing, and that point has occurred many times this season.

Even ignoring the shambolic dealings in the transfer market this season, his tactical decisions have at times been crazy. Everyone can see that we're a much more effective team with McGowan in an attacking midfield role, and our good run coincided with McGowan playing there, he then changes it, pushes McGowan back to a more defensive midfield role and suddenly we start losing again. Playing 4-4-2 with McGowan in a deep role, we have won 0, drawn 1 and lost 8 this season. With McGowan further forward, either in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, we have won 5, drawn 4 and lost 2. Its not rocket science, everyone can see how we need to play, why cant Lennon?

Deary me, these stats are pretty good.

Does that include today?

I can't really disagree with any of that. However playing McGowan in the role that you suggest would mean not playing Adam Campbell. When we signed Isma I thought McGowan fitted in well the midfield role. Also with all the injuries and suspensions we currently have if you played McGowan up in Adam's role who would you drop into midfield.

He got into a muddle in the summer clearing out the place and not replacing them. Hopefully he can rectify some of this. If not he will be out the door, I hope and think he might be able to pull it off. However he might fail spectacularly, the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned but things aren't as bad as some would have you believe they were.

I can't really disagree with any of that. However playing McGowan in the role that you suggest would mean not playing Adam Campbell. When we signed Isma I thought McGowan fitted in well the midfield role. Also with all the injuries and suspensions we currently have if you played McGowan up in Adam's role who would you drop into midfield.

He got into a muddle in the summer clearing out the place and not replacing them. Hopefully he can rectify some of this. If not he will be out the door, I hope and think he might be able to pull it off. However he might fail spectacularly, the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned but things aren't as bad as some would have you believe they were.

You could still accommodate Campbell by playing him wide in a 4-2-3-1 formation, so you would have Campbell, McGowan and one other in attacking midfield roles.

You could still accommodate Campbell by playing him wide in a 4-2-3-1 formation, so you would have Campbell, McGowan and one other in attacking midfield roles.

And who would the two holding midfielders be?

McGowan can be effective in the midfield role with Goodie holding but, to play your formation, either we lose the influence of McGinn as an attacking force or we are left with Goodie and DVZ behind the three. Neither of which would be my preference.

The fact of the matter is that Paul isn't putting the ball in the pokey so we need someone alongside Thommo to do this. Adam Campbell may or may not be the answer but something needed to address our drought. Thompson aside.