Dannys Contract Renewal

On a related note to Rick's above, I'd be genuinely interested in who those who want to sack Danny expect us to replace him with.

Who would we be expected to get within our price range?

What would happen would be the exact same as when any football club relieves a manager of their duties - the BoD would sift through the applications and interview those deemed suitable.

IF, and I genuinely mean if and not when, our BoD bag Danny, I would imagine we would receive a large and varied range of applicants. I would imagine that list would include the 'usual suspect' Scottish managers, perhaps new kids on the block like Paul Hartley and Ian Murray, unheard of Johnny Foreigners, out-of-work English managers who suddenly show an interest in football north of Hadrian's wall... and the recently sacked Yogi Hughes.

Stephen Thompson had earned his money and it was time to come home. Maybe a guy like Steve Clarke is in that position? Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway - absolutely no point plucking a name out of thin air at this moment. My personal view hasn't changed. I don't think Danny Lennon should get a new contract because I believe he is lacking tactically, motivationally, and acts poorly in substitutions, selections, and especially this close season, in the transfer market. None of this matters though. It's just one supporter's personal take on things. As always, I want Danny to oversee a victory at Easter Road, followed by another victory, followed by another one, followed by us winning the Scottish Cup and Danny being linked with the vacant Aston Villa post after Paul Lambert gets pumped.

As I've mentioned a number of times before, next season's manager at St. Mirren will be Steven Thompson.

At this moment I don't care who will be manager next season when we are only half way through this season. As things stand we have half a season left with Danny and Craig who hopfully can bring in someone that will make a diffrance. Still I'm too over worried with a full streanth squad we will pick up points along the way and finish in the bottom six in a safe position. Come on guy's it's this season that counts.

Any job that comes up there will be numerous managers quoted both with experience and also up and coming managers (some will be the usual suspects others a surprise). If you named everyone quoted it would be two or 3 different names each day that the papers insist are in the frame. All I pointed out was that some managers like say Butcher are able to get more out of players than others. At present I feel that pretty much anyone could come in and put us in a better place than we are now.

Butcher will get money for more players in the summer and the current squad will be playing for their jobs or joining the dole queue. saints players know that our money cant buy anyting that is better than they are. Butcher has a massive advantage in that respect

On a related note to Rick's above, I'd be genuinely interested in who those who want to sack Danny expect us to replace him with.

Who would we be expected to get within our price range?

Same question was asked when Gus was on the way out , and you , for one , seem satisfied with the low-cost replacement we found !

Can we afford a Butcher?

From a Hibs perspective then clearly no.

Its from the Inverness perspective that matters however.

He's been out of a job for 2 years after being sacked by Brentford. We could clearly have afforded him at that stage.

However, leaving that aside, RickMcD states that appointing an untried cheap manager would be depressing.

What would be more depressing is appointing an expensive and tried manager! If such a manager has both attributes then we should clearly be staying well clear!

Dunderheid masses. Well called RickMcD! :1eye

At this moment I don't care who will be manager next season when we are only half way through this season. As things stand we have half a season left with Danny and Craig who hopfully can bring in someone that will make a diffrance. Still I'm too over worried with a full streanth squad we will pick up points along the way and finish in the bottom six in a safe position. Come on guy's it's this season that counts.

Ian , I do care who'll be in charge next season because if we scrape another couple of victories, then win a dead rubber or two after the split, then Lennon might get a new contract when we all know already that he is completely clueless and needs to go. We need to get rid of him ASAP !

My firm belief is that St. Mirren will break even this year just as we have done every single year since the current board took over almost 15 years ago. I believe the BoD have given the manager as much money to spend as they possibly can, just like they have always done.

I'd imagine that this is all true, they may have given all they can, but that does not mean it was ever enough to match certain people's aspirations. Portraying it as such would be disingenuous.

another one of my firm beliefs is that the club is in a terminal decline, the current board are ageing and no longer have an appetite for the day-to-day running of the club. Any young blood that was there has left for one reason or another, coincidentally they all left during the period that a consortium of directors decided they would sell their shares as a job lot. The consortium purport this to be a tactic to ensure the club always stays in the "right hands", in actual fact 4 years of bugger all comeing to fruition shows that anything more than a token asking price is unattainable in the current financial climate. i dont doubt that they deserve something for the risk they took and the work they put in, but we don't always get what we deserve in this life and i'm afraid that timing has not been kind to them, i think the supermarket deal for love st took 2-3 years longer to close than they expected and they have lucked out in trying to get a significant return. At least they got their money back.

What we need is a decisive board that will give leadership and support to the managers at the club, giving all of them the benefit of their experience and the feeling thay are supported and valued, people respond rather well to that kind of vibe and you will see things change as a result. if the board cant re-commit to that then i'm afraid they need to lower the asking price or resign themselves to the fact that their shares are an asset that will diminish to the point of liaility in 3 or 4 years. They should also front up with the fans and stop unrealistic expectations from fans putting undue pressure on the people left to shoulder all the work (and take the blame if things dont work out)

Edited by beyond our ken

Same question was asked when Gus was on the way out , and you , for one , seem satisfied with the low-cost replacement we found !

What's your point? Of course I'm going to support the new manager of my team. Who the hell wouldn't?

Show me a post where I said "Sack Gus and bring in Danny".

Ian , I do care who'll be in charge next season because if we scrape another couple of victories, then win a dead rubber or two after the split, then Lennon might get a new contract when we all know already that he is completely clueless and needs to go. We need to get rid of him ASAP !

So in other words, you haven't a clue who we should hire.

You have no idea what it would cost.

You just want rid of Danny and that the consequences will apparently take care of themselves.

Back in the real world you are asking those in charge of actually making the decisions rather than living in cloud cuckoo land to replace our manager.

Asking is the wrong word - hassling would be better.

BUT you have no actual suggestions about how to do it or who to replace him with or how this miracle will be funded.

No wonder proper professionals in the game think fans are total spuds.

So in other words, you haven't a clue who we should hire.

You have no idea what it would cost.

You just want rid of Danny and that the consequences will apparently take care of themselves.

Back in the real world you are asking those in charge of actually making the decisions rather than living in cloud cuckoo land to replace our manager.

Asking is the wrong word - hassling would be better.

BUT you have no actual suggestions about how to do it or who to replace him with or how this miracle will be funded.

No wonder proper professionals in the game think fans are total spuds.

Say Tommy Docherty's pitch was crap and the club fired him. They'd advertise the position and would no doubt pick who they thought was the best groundsman/woman from the applicants. They'd look at their CV and see where they'd worked and what they had done.

No-one would be considering who might come in to replace Tommy until they knew the calibre of possible replacements. No-one on here is required to say Ian Murray, Paul Hartley, Jimmy Calderwood, Thompson & Teale, Wee Jimmy Krankie or Andre Villas Boas.

If we don't think the current incumbent is up to much, we are free to say so.

I would love Danny to do well for the club, But he doesn't inspire confidence, Some of his tactics are baffling as are team selections, And the less said about his signings the better, hes had over three years to get things right and he hasn't, Nobody can say we haven't given him time,

His budget dictates his signings and that's hee haw.

His budget dictates his signings and that's hee haw.

Budget is part of it, but if Dundee United can pick up a cracking lad from Queens Park, or someone gets Stevie May to attract interest from England, and if Terry Butcher could knit unknowns and johnny foreigners into a top 3 or 4 team, and if Ross C and Partick can sign goalscorers last week - then there's more to it than just pounds and pence.

What's your point? Of course I'm going to support the new manager of my team. Who the hell wouldn't?

Show me a post where I said "Sack Gus and bring in Danny".

My point is that , as always , you talk bollocks. Danny was a low cost , high risk appointment and he's passed his sell-by date , they'll be a queue a mile long of low-cost, high risk candidates for the job ! Life goes on , St Mirren will always be here , with or without Danny , and that's all that matters !