St Mirren V Butcher's Hibernian Top League Nov. 2013

shull

Maybe not very poor drew and definitely not as bad as the start of the season just really frustrated as i thought it was opportunity missed I thought thommo was very isolated up front and I believe if we had a more attacking set up we would have got a couple of goals just reading posts about great passing movements etc i thought we over hit passes and gave the ball away very easily

On the first half, like Drew mentioned, we did play pretty well and we did string a few good passing moves together.

I agree it was, overall, points stopped as they were very poor first half. Even in the 2nd half they were only half dangerous from crosses or corners, no direct play was getting through to our goalie.

Who knows how they will be when we play them again and we could be stronger as well. No point speculating, especially on the negative side.

We were definitely the best team first half but did not create a great deal, couple of chances for thommo but that was about it we are massively improved from the start of the season but still have a long way to go we have a great keeper now and the central defence is looking pretty solid so that's a good start looking forward to next week probably the most important game of the season and should be a good day out

We were definitely the best team first half but did not create a great deal, couple of chances for thommo but that was about it we are massively improved from the start of the season but still have a long way to go we have a great keeper now and the central defence is looking pretty solid so that's a good start looking forward to next week probably the most important game of the season and should be a good day out

I agree, but we've probably played better and lost so, like you say, we're looking better in many areas than we have for quite some time.

The emergence of the 2 full backs, the goalie and looking fairly steady in central defence and a more than decent midfield.

Sure Thommo needs assistance, but our biggest problem for many a year has been at the back and that's a good place to stop losing silly goals and games.

I don't think it's so much the Captain's armband that's making Thompson look weary at times, more that at 35 he's putting a lot of miles on the clock this season. So far he's played in all 14 games played (that includes 30 minutes overtime against QotS) and been substituted once against Aberdeen - in the 89th minute!

Edit - A point that I've shamelessly stolen from Lex!

I wasn't meaning that Thommo was weary, I meant he was not over to talk to the ref about about the abuse getting dished out to the likes of McLean or McGinn, he didn't appear to be vocally encouraging them, which Cheesy notably was. Thommos game didn't really change even though he had the arm band, where I would thought it might have. That's my take on it but no doubt others will have seen it differently.

Guest somner9

I don't think it's so much the Captain's armband that's making Thompson look weary at times, more that at 35 he's putting a lot of miles on the clock this season. So far he's played in all 14 games played (that includes 30 minutes overtime against QotS) and been substituted once against Aberdeen - in the 89th minute!

Edit - A point that I've shamelessly stolen from Lex!

Errr isn't professional football Thommo's chosen career..? I doubt he'd be putting himself up to lead our line if he felt he was too auld and weary to achieve it? I think his goals tall is the best measure of what he has in the tank and thats what keeps him and most saints fans POSITIVE....

Errr isn't professional football Thommo's chosen career..? I doubt he'd be putting himself up to lead our line if he felt he was too auld and weary to achieve it? I think his goals tall is the best measure of what he has in the tank and thats what keeps him and most saints fans POSITIVE....

If you don't think burnout isn't an issue for Thompson fine, we disagree over many points and you may even be right.

PS - Nice to see you chasing me round the forum. holiday.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest somner9

If you don't think burnout isn't an issue for Thompson fine, we disagree over many points and you may even be right.

PS - Nice to see you chasing me round the forum. Posted Image

Chase me...? Ooh get you!

Are you seriously suggesting a man who has been an athlete and professional sportsman all his adult life is "burned out" after a third of the season???

but strangely only him...?

Chase me...? Ooh get you!

Are you seriously suggesting a man who has been an athlete and professional sportsman all his adult life is "burned out" after a third of the season???

but strangely only him...?

I think the idea that the more games you play in a season the chances of going stale increase otherwise why would big clubs that play lots of games in numerous competitions rotate their squads?

As for it affecting him most then yes because he is now the only ever present in our team! 1eye.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest somner9

I think the idea that the more games you play in a season the chances of going stale increase otherwise why would big clubs that play lost of games in numerous competitions rotate their squads?

As for it affecting him most then yes because he is now the only ever present in our team! Posted Image

numerous competitions??? You expecting another cup final? only the big daddy left for us now

numerous competitions??? You expecting another cup final? only the big daddy left for us now

I'm saying that until January the option of not playing Thompson is a non-starter (sic) unlike last season when he didn't start the LC game against Hamilton or the Dundee & Hearts league games in February/March.

ETA - Was Danny Lennon wrong to rotate Thompson last season - surely it's a crime to deny Thompson the chance to practice his "chosen career"?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Being down south I watched it on telly. McLeish looked hammered. Full of pish & pished.

He sobered up by half-time, he probably regretted it.

He was out for a few scoops on Friday night after doing Super Scoreboard. Probably a late one as he took it back to his hotel.

Edited by Drew

Was it only me who noticed that the one real chance that Hibs had was a result of their forwards handball as Kello collected?

What was the ref and linesman watching?

attachicon.gifFootie.PNG

Yup, I noticed that.

At the time I thought Kello was maybe nudged a little, but was worse when I saw the highlights.

Think it was Collins, who seemed to be jumping in to players illegally throughout the game without any kind of punishment from the ref.