Tragic News, R.i.p. Good Buddie

TC7

I was with Simon on Saturday afternoon in the Star and Garter before the game with davej.

Words cannot describe how I've been feeling since I found out on Sunday night. The police had requested that this didn't hit social media, hence why I hadn't posted anything earlier, but I guess it's out now.

Simon was a true gentleman (with emphasis on the word "gentle") and a fantastic friend. Always there for you when you needed anything and always up for a beer and a laugh. A staunch Saints fan as well.

I have many, many memories from over the years and a lasting reminder everytime I look at my wedding photos, as Simon took them all for us free of charge, just because he wanted to. That's the kind of guy he was.

He will be sorely missed. Absolutely tragic.

Edited by Herbie

I didn't know Simon but I'm sure I recognise him from the photo on the BBC website. I think I've seen him at matches from time to time.

Terrible to learn of an incident like this, my condolences are with Simon's family and friends.

Herbie - that was a very heartfelt and moving post. Thoughts are with you Bud.

What a shocker.

I've known Simon for more years than I care to remember.He would never pass in the street without stopping for a wee chat or if in the pub he would always come over and offer you a drink.I used to get on to him for that but it's just the way he was.Another good guy taken early.:(

PS.It was Simons mums house that got windows bricked by M+rt+n fans after a game at Love St.Some of you may recognise him from the PDE after that incident.

One Friday in May last year I had the day off and was contemplating a wee day trip someplace. Whilst considering my options I went for a lunchtime pint & read of the paper in Malarky's. Just as I was about to leave Simon walked in, said hello, ordered a pint for himself & whatever I was having then asked how I was getting on. That was us until closing time. In fact I think I threw in the towel at 10pm.

The talk was the usual stuff; Saints, general fitba, work, music, etc. We were both fortunate enough to be visitors to New York & it was he who informed me of a fine pub on 3rd Avenue called PJ Clarke's, which has since become a favourite watering hole. It was a cracking day, just one of those inadvertent sessions that kept getting extended to the next round, throw in a fish supper to get the second wind and keep going.

He was in the catering business & had spent a bit of time overseas so had many great stories and they were always worth listening to. We both had an appreciation for each other's company and when I bumped into him we'd chat for two minutes or two hours.

Like a lot of guys I know from seeing Saints I don't recall when we first met but it was sometime in the mid-90s and if it wasn't at Love Street then it would've been in the pub. As a few have already said he was never backward at standing his round, and I've even seen him stand the round for other folk as well.

Herbie mentioning the wedding photography was something I'd forgotten but remember it well now it's been mentioned. That was the measure of the guy.

I was talking to him in the Star & Garter after the game last Saturday. It was about 7pm and as he left to go elsewhere he asked if I was coming along to another pub. I said I had to get the train back home but I might venture along. He replied with a jovial "Nae bother" then walked out the door. That was the last time I saw him.

Simon, you were a fúcking good mate. Thanks for the time. Take easy, bud.

Edited to add:- I never did get round to that day trip. Maybe I should.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

I don't know Simon but do recognise his face. My partner though, has been cutting his hair for years and came in shellshocked and gutted. Told me she'd cut his hair on the Saturday morning before he went to the game, and how gentle and kind a fellow he was, caring for his mum almost full time between his work.

RIP, Buddie. Awful tragedy. Awful circumstances.

Edited by djchapsticks

Didn't know Simon personally but I do recognise his face.

Absolute tragedy. Thoughts with his family and friends, christ knows what they are going through.

Hopefully justice will prevail but know it will be scant consolation for those who are grieving today.

I first met Simon when Jane and I started going out, maybe 4 years ago. He welcomed me into the crowd with open arms and really made me feel part of the gang and in general, made me feel welcome in paisley.

One of my favourite times was after the Aberdeen cup game, we watched it on the Saturday lunchtime in Borgia. Me, Jane, Simon, herbie, Danny Carnon and Jane's pal Kay, what a laugh we had, Simon, Danny and herbie were in great form playing off each other, old jokes and stories from their youth. I really felt part of it, and probably that day had a big effect on my interest in St Mirren.

Danny headed up the road and the rest of us headed on to the wee howf, via that place that's now hamish's hoose. I really have no idea what time we left at, but it had been an all dayer to beat any. And we all laughed from start to finish.

From that day on he'd always say hi, talking in length about Thistle, St Mirren and music. He'd always come for a chat at half time if I was at a st mirren game.

Last Thursday he messages Jane asking what the plans were for the game and where I was suggesting for a drink. Star n Garter, it would be. He was in great form as usual, and in even better form after it. Me, Jane, herbie and a few jags fans were heading down to the Woody, so I went over and said Cheerios. A couple of the lads were having a laugh with me about the score, but Simon put them right, go easy, Big Dave's a good guy.

So many things have went through my head since hearing this on Sunday night, what if I'd said to them, mon down to the Woody with us. It would have changed the whole timeline of his night... But you can't think like that. He was having a great night, and I was proud the St Mirren boys were enjoying their night in a thistle pub, my pub. And off we went with a hug goodbye, I think I may have joked he hAd really effeminate soft hands, but I can't recall. I just rember that big smile of his as I walked out the door.

So often when you hear of a tragedy like this, words like, kind hearted, genuinely honest, good natured, lovable, always smiling, are used to describe the person... Well every one of them, and more could be used to describe Simon. He really was all of these things and more.

Although I only knew you for a few short years, I'm honoured to have. I'm going to miss you Simon.

I too only knew Simon to look at, a familiar face around town. But when a close long time friend of my mother got in touch at the weekend with the news her wee St Mirren supporting couin had been murdered in Glasgow, then the news reports, I figured it must have been the same person. Very shocking news and my sincerest condolences to all of those affected by this senseless act.

I first met Simon when Jane and I started going out, maybe 4 years ago. He welcomed me into the crowd with open arms and really made me feel part of the gang and in general, made me feel welcome in paisley.

One of my favourite times was after the Aberdeen cup game, we watched it on the Saturday lunchtime in Borgia. Me, Jane, Simon, herbie, Danny Carnon and Jane's pal Kay, what a laugh we had, Simon, Danny and herbie were in great form playing off each other, old jokes and stories from their youth. I really felt part of it, and probably that day had a big effect on my interest in St Mirren.

Danny headed up the road and the rest of us headed on to the wee howf, via that place that's now hamish's hoose. I really have no idea what time we left at, but it had been an all dayer to beat any. And we all laughed from start to finish.

From that day on he'd always say hi, talking in length about Thistle, St Mirren and music. He'd always come for a chat at half time if I was at a st mirren game.

Last Thursday he messages Jane asking what the plans were for the game and where I was suggesting for a drink. Star n Garter, it would be. He was in great form as usual, and in even better form after it. Me, Jane, herbie and a few jags fans were heading down to the Woody, so I went over and said Cheerios. A couple of the lads were having a laugh with me about the score, but Simon put them right, go easy, Big Dave's a good guy.

So many things have went through my head since hearing this on Sunday night, what if I'd said to them, mon down to the Woody with us. It would have changed the whole timeline of his night... But you can't think like that. He was having a great night, and I was proud the St Mirren boys were enjoying their night in a thistle pub, my pub. And off we went with a hug goodbye, I think I may have joked he hAd really effeminate soft hands, but I can't recall. I just rember that big smile of his as I walked out the door.

So often when you hear of a tragedy like this, words like, kind hearted, genuinely honest, good natured, lovable, always smiling, are used to describe the person... Well every one of them, and more could be used to describe Simon. He really was all of these things and more.

Although I only knew you for a few short years, I'm honoured to have. I'm going to miss you Simon.

Great post mate. Sums him up beautifully. I'd actually forgotten about that day in Borgia. It was a brilliant day indeed.