Tragic News, R.i.p. Good Buddie

TC7

So sad to read all these tales of times with Simon; and at the same time heart warming to realise everyone he met felt exactly the same way about him. He was a genuinely nice guy who always had a smile & a laugh for you. You will be sorely missed mate x

Totally stunned when I found out.

First met Simon around 20 years ago when we were both in our early 20s . He was manager of a pub I used to visit in Bearsden (55BC).

We had many a chat about Saints at the time (Sometimes till the doors were locked & the sun came up!!)

A few years later he was working at a place called TheLab just off Buchanan St in Glasgow & again always a warm welcome & always a chat about the Saints!

Frequently saw & met him at Love St and now SMP, where he never just said "hello" - always keen to offer a handshake, and a keen desire to ask how I was.

Saw him in passing outside Firhill on the way out on Saturday - never for a second did I..... - well - you can fill that bit in!

He was on crutches for a long time 3 or 4 years ago, but was still determined to make it to the games. Always said he wished it could be more often if it wasn't for his family caring duties.

Strikes home as he was NEVER a bloke who would invite or go looking for trouble. What happened (& I don't know what did!) could've been ANY of us!

A good guy gone! sad.png

First met Simon around 20 years ago when we were both in our early 20s . He was manager of a pub I used to visit in Bearsden (55BC).

We had many a chat about Saints at the time (Sometimes till the doors were locked & the sun came up!!)

A few years later he was working at a place called TheLab just off Buchanan St in Glasgow & again always a warm welcome & always a chat about the Saints!

Frequently saw & met him at Love St and now SMP, where he never just said "hello" - always keen to offer a handshake, and a keen desire to ask how I was.

Saw him in passing outside Firhill on the way out on Saturday - never for a second did I..... - well - you can fill that bit in!

He was on crutches for a long time 3 or 4 years ago, but was still determined to make it to the games. Always said he wished it could be more often if it wasn't for his family caring duties.

Strikes home as he was NEVER a bloke who would invite or go looking for trouble. What happened (& I don't know what did!) could've been ANY of us!

A good guy gone! sad.png

I'm pretty sure Simons brother still runs The Lab.

Read the story on Tuesday & thought little of it "it's probably a pimp / drug-dealer / ned/ probably deseved it / wrong type etc etc!

Si was never like that - a genuinely easy-going fella, (he would tell you if you were talking keech - granted! tongue.png ) but, please don't get the wrong impression he was any of the above.

(to those that didn't know him!)

Guest TPAFKATS

Like many others I recognise Simon from going to the games, some of the posts are very touching and a tribute to the kind of man he was. Tragic is all you can say when someone is taken in such circumstances, Thoughts go out to friends and family.

This.

Heart wrenching.

Was totally shocked to hear this. Simon was in the year above me at school and very good friends with my cousin. I didn't know him well, but he would always stop and say hello, seemed like one of life's good guys, gone far too soon. Thoughts are with his family and friends who must be devastated. RIP Simon.

Also didn't know Simon but shocked and saddened to read this. Tragic.

He and his mates had a few beers after the Partick match, what actually happened after that?

I can't imagine that's something that would be in the public domain for now. Nor should it be, to be fair.

he never just said "hello" - always keen to offer a handshake, and a keen desire to ask how I was.

That I think sums up perfectly the sort of guy Simon was. Always really happy to see you. Always really interested in what you'd been up to. One of the most genuinely nice and selfless people I've ever met. A terrible loss.

Also didn't know Simon but shocked and saddened to read this. Tragic.

He and his mates had a few beers after the Partick match, what actually happened after that?

Nothing's out yet GU. All we know is that he was out with friends, they all went their separate ways at the end of the night to get home and Simon was assaulted not long after that. No idea on the detail. We do know that a lot of people came to his aid and he was rushed to the Royal. We believe he was unconscious all that time. We also understand that everything was captured on CCTV and that there were a number of witnesses. As I say though, there is no detail.

A good guy gone! sad.png

Had the shivers reading the report there Al - Fras, Jim and I walked down within yards of that spot about 2 hours before. Bloody awful that in this day and age you just need to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time for tragedy to strike. Hope the scumbag that did it rotts in hell.

Let's just be careful and sensitive about posting anything related to the actual incident on here. Leave the police and the courts to deal with it.

Last thing we would want is for anyone to get in bother for posting stuff about it in public, and worse even that anything could at all prejudice the case.

Hopefully justice will be done but let's use this thread to remember Simon and pay our respects.

Had the shivers reading the report there Al - Fras, Jim and I walked down within yards of that spot about 2 hours before.

I assume that was the line that hit home?

Simon was in a similar mould to our group - enjoyed going to the football then a few beers - nothing more!

Ayrshire Saints - you probably recall manys a chat with him on the walk back after home games?