Turned Around?

The management of the football club made many mistakes in the close season and the early part of the campaign. These mistakes include, but are not limited to:

1) Signing Gary Harkins

2) Playing Gary Harkins

3) Moving Paul McGowan to accommodate Gary Harkins

4) Releasing Carey, Parkin and Guy without replacing them

5) Not signing an experienced goalkeeper and starting the season without one

7) Playing Kenny McLean at left mid

8) Signing Stephane Bahoken

9) Playing Stephane Bahoken

10) Isolating Lee Mair

Thankfully the management have came to realise these mistakes over the last few weeks, and have did a good job of rectifying them. Harkins has been punted out the side, McGowan has been restored to his correct position, Kenny McLean has been restored to his correct position, an experienced keeper has been signed, Bahoken has been isolated and Lee Mair has been restored to the squad.

Not surprisingly, the rectification of these errors has resulted in a significant up turn in results and performances. Hopefully the management have learned from these mistakes and hopefully they aren't made again.

I must say, they have pulled it out the bag to an extent. They made such a mess of it over the summer i and many others thought it was beyond repair. Thankfully some wise team selections and a good addition (Kello) coupled with some luck with injuries (Thommo staying fit and available) have resulted in this turn around. Let's hope Thommo stays fit, the thought of him becoming unavailable frankly terrifies me, we literally have no one else that can play the number 9 role to any kind of St Mirren standard.

But kudos to Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig, they made a right mess of things over the summer, however they have done a fantastic job of dragging us out of the mess they created.

Get what you're saying but.............

There were plenty on here keen for Harkins to come. Once you sign the guy, you have to at least give him a go.

Bahoken was recommended by the same people that recommended Goncalves. Certainly worth a gamble.

There were plenty on here keen for Carey, Guy and Parkin to move on. And both Carey and Parkin were out of contract and wanted to move on.

Personally I did not want Harkins near the club and was happy enough to Keep Carey, Guy and Parkin. But I can see why Danny made the decisions he did. And I'm also willing to admit that just maybe he might more a little more about the game than me.

I've never met you but still know you're a dick.

You make one post today, nothing in the match day thread, and come into this thread and show you can focus on the past, indeed, some supporter right enough.

Away and find something else to drag down with your optimistic outlook on life.[/quote

Did I not just say that at points this season has been really bad but Danny and the team have turned it round recently? What's negative about that? I have been there each week you have not. You sit and spout nonsense all you want unless you were at these games seeing 90mins not just the three mins we get on sportscene then I won't bother with your opinion. Cheers

Those who were calling for Danny's head deserve most of the credit for the turnaround. DL was a rabbit in the headlights who was scared to make changes. The pressure the dissenters put on DL brought about the changes in team selection and tactics that have made the difference. Getting Goodwin out of the back 4 and dropping Harkins and Cornell as well as focussing Thommo and McGowan on the task at hand has made the difference. Well done the dissenters !

The utterly tragic thing is that some on here genuinely believe this is true - that they have personally forced Danny into turning things around.

Tragically delusional keyboard clatterers the lot of them.

The management of the football club made many mistakes in the close season and the early part of the campaign. These mistakes include, but are not limited to:

1) Signing Gary Harkins

2) Playing Gary Harkins

3) Moving Paul McGowan to accommodate Gary Harkins

4) Releasing Carey, Parkin and Guy without replacing them

5) Not signing an experienced goalkeeper and starting the season without one

7) Playing Kenny McLean at left mid

8) Signing Stephane Bahoken

9) Playing Stephane Bahoken

10) Isolating Lee Mair

Aye and you were calling for his head before the season even started after we lost a couple of friendlies.

That's the trouble with too many young guys.

Far too impatient. You want everything perfect - yesterday.

One minute you're all depressed and the next you're all happy clappy.

Frankly nobody gives a f**k. The rest of us kept on a steady level all the way through it.

Tell you what - I'd f**king hate having a headless chicken like you on my team in a moment of crisis.

Guys who are all over the place emotionally like you are a pain in the arse and a waste of energy.

Edited by oaksoft

Aye and you were calling for his head before the season even started after we lost a couple of friendlies.

That's the trouble with too many young guys.

Far too impatient. You want everything perfect - yesterday.

One minute you're all depressed and the next you're all happy clappy.

Frankly nobody gives a f**k. The rest of us kept on a steady level all the way through it.

Tell you what - I'd f**king hate having a headless chicken like you on my team in a moment of crisis.

Guys who are all over the place emotionally like you are a pain in the arse and a waste of energy.

You're brilliant!

Got to say...

Kenny McLean - what a player. He has been a central figure in this turn-around. I'm loving watching these lads do their thing.

A few years ago, I was becoming extremely jaded from turning up at matches almost more by dint of some sense of obligation as opposed to any great desire. It had become a chore, to be brutally honest.

Wind the clock forward, and the biggest pleasure I'm taking from following Saints just now is watching the young lads turning it on. John McGinn, Sean Kelly, Jason Naismith, and Kenny McLean - take a bow after stealing the show today. Really buzzing after that (oh, and a great day topped off by a fantastic gig at the O2 Academy tonight. Firghtened Rabbit were absolutely superbthumbup2.gif ).

Happy days!cloud9.gif

Why are some people still discussing Danny lennons future! The guy has taken us to the highest league position in decades, won us a national cup and we have just won 4 games and drawn 1 out of the last 6. If I was Danny id get out of greenhill road and find a club where their fans appreciate what he does because it wouldn't matter if we won the champions league, our fans would still be calling for his head. Really don't understand our support sometimes, Gus dragged us through the mire for 7 years and always got the backing of the majority of our fans however Danny wins us trophies and a lot of games recently but it's still not good enough. Puts me off sitting in amongst our support sometimes

I think Harkins is still needed at the club. What if McGowan is injured or unavailable Harkins is the perfect replacement. Yes Danny has made mistakes every manager does. But what a turn around 6 points off top 6. Think bankonen and Cornell look to be mistakes. But at the start of the season he said he trusts the young players coming through at the club and Kelly and naismith have impressed. We now have 2 very capable keepers good cover for rb/lb in van zanten and Grainger cover in midfield Harkins and caprice. With cambell coming in mybe? Think we still need one more striker just need cover for Thompson if injured. If he finds that player in January window and our form remains good offer him a new long term contract and let him get on with his job!!!

Turning point of the season was stopping the passing game closely followed by dropping Harkins and Grainger jettison those 2 along with Bahokken in January.It is turning around now lets keep it that way.

When did we stop the passing game? Some of our passing leading to goals has been superb. What we have done is learned to adapt our game to different circumstances.

Saints are doing much better and deserve credit for it well done. You probably haven't saw them except on sport scene right enough so won't actually know just how bad they were prior to this upturn. 1 win in 20 odd games was poor but fair play its looking up

Did I not just say that at points this season has been really bad but Danny and the team have turned it round recently? What's negative about that? I have been there each week you have not. You sit and spout nonsense all you want unless you were at these games seeing 90mins not just the three mins we get on sportscene then I won't bother with your opinion. Cheers

Just to help you remember what you said, and the unnecessary reference to this "1/20". I can't be arsed trawling through the gleeful weeks of pish you posted when we were on this poor run, just nice to see your post count has reduced dramatically in the last 6 weeks.

There were PLENTY of threads covering every possible aspect of our poor run, and it's great to see many of the most enthusiastic in these threads have all but dried up apart from grudging minor praise. lol.gif

If you READ my OP you will see that I mentioned many of the level headed support were, quite rightly IMO, asking questions about the managers future, as things were not looking good.

Just to clarify, I attended 12 games last season, none this season, major factor I've had surgery on my shoulder.

As has been mentioned throughout many posts this weekend, sitting among moaning faced cnts at games really does make it a chore so not attending isn't such a hardship.

Also, since you're a bit dim, I only comment on the facts as, you quite righty say, I'm not there and I DON'T post on the team or individuals performances.

It's always the more dim "supporters" that reach for the "You don't attend so you don't count" line.

I hope this makes it clear.

Edited by faraway saint

For those who criticise Harkins and Grainger.

You only have to look back to Teales first outings to see that some players take a while to settle in.

Both the players mentioned have had major contributions with other clubs and I am hopeful that, now we seemed to have steadied the ship they might go on to prove the doubters wrong. They aren't bad players but at the moment they can't get into the team because those holding the jerseys deserve to keep them. Youngsters are notorious for being inconsistent so we may need a fully fit, fully focused Grainger sooner or later.

As has been mentioned. Football is about squads nowadays and it's good to have competition for places. Perhaps those on the sidelines will be more determined to do well when they get their chance ala Mair.

Edited by stlucifer

Of course he cares what the fans think. His job is on the line. The changes of tactics were his final throw of the dice, all or nothing. If he hadn't been under pressure he would have continued with his belief in the same group of players - making changes is his admission that he had been getting it wrong before the Hearts game.

So you dont think he made changes, waited to see how they worked, made some more and continued the process? It was all so dramatic, one last throw of the dice, if we cant get a point against the dons then we are forever doomed to lose every game we play? If we cant beat St Johnstone then our legs will fall off? DL knew what the fans thought, but do you think it influenced his decision making? You are seriously overestimating your place in the order of things if that is the case.

Turning point of the season was stopping the passing game closely followed by dropping Harkins and Grainger jettison those 2 along with Bahokken in January.It is turning around now lets keep it that way.

We havent dropped the passing game, but have discovered a talent for hitting teams on the break to serious effect in some games. This is now a club with plenty in it's locker. there will be more setbacks and surprises, there always are where people are concerned, but let's just enjoy the fact that it's currently very good to be a buddie and not try to justify earlier criticism of the manager by claiming the fans have made the difference. Dont you think both players and managers knew they had to do better? They have acted with dignity, taking the criticism on the chin and coming back stronger. It's a pity some of the support can't give them due credit for that.

Grainger hasnt become a bad player overnight and will come good at some point and Bahoken, like all players recommended from abroad, was an unknown quantity and might well settle. It really is early days for these guys

We havent dropped the passing game, but have discovered a talent for hitting teams on the break to serious effect in some games. This is now a club with plenty in it's locker. there will be more setbacks and surprises, there always are where people are concerned, but let's just enjoy the fact that it's currently very good to be a buddie and not try to justify earlier criticism of the manager by claiming the fans have made the difference. Dont you think both players and managers knew they had to do better? They have acted with dignity, taking the criticism on the chin and coming back stronger. It's a pity some of the support can't give them due credit for that.

Grainger hasnt become a bad player overnight and will come good at some point and Bahoken, like all players recommended from abroad, was an unknown quantity and might well settle. It really is early days for these guys

When these guys get back into the team I'd hope they will perform better as the whole team is playing with confidence, obviously lacking when they were playing and not all down to them.

Those who were calling for Danny's head deserve most of the credit for the turnaround. DL was a rabbit in the headlights who was scared to make changes. The pressure the dissenters put on DL brought about the changes in team selection and tactics that have made the difference. Getting Goodwin out of the back 4 and dropping Harkins and Cornell as well as focussing Thommo and McGowan on the task at hand has made the difference. Well done the dissenters !

So the supporters went down to the training ground, talked it through with the players, told them what needed to be changed, came up with a new formation, sat down with them and talked tactics on how to deploy the new style of play. Ran training exercises and scenarios... Coached the two young lads at left and right back into the team. Spoke with harkins and Grainger telling them why they were being dropped but treating them in the right way to keep their moral up ensuring they were still team players?

the boo boys did all this?

If so, then my God, this element of the St Mirren crowd might just be the best fans in Scotland. Incredible sacrifice for the club, I'm sure Danny was impressed at how you all rallied in the way you did, to support the players and the club.

For the stattos out there, this is our best league form for 5 years.

In December '08 we won all of our games (Falkirk, INVERNESS, Kilmarnock, HAMILTON). The final game of that winning run was the last ever game at Love Street. Was the year that we stayed up by winning at Falkirk before they relegated ICT on their own ground the following week.

So the supporters went down to the training ground, talked it through with the players, told them what needed to be changed, came up with a new formation, sat down with them and talked tactics on how to deploy the new style of play. Ran training exercises and scenarios... Coached the two young lads at left and right back into the team. Spoke with harkins and Grainger telling them why they were being dropped but treating them in the right way to keep their moral up ensuring they were still team players?

the boo boys did all this?

If so, then my God, this element of the St Mirren crowd might just be the best fans in Scotland. Incredible sacrifice for the club, I'm sure Danny was impressed at how you all rallied in the way you did, to support the players and the club.

Aye, we're a selfless lot Dave, that's for sure.

Guest somner9

A wise, sorry brilliant man once said when all around were spouting keech and insisting we won a cup inspite of our manager's tactics...

"Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:27

And i stick by what I said, though you can't call it a prediction, more a personal opinion.

Consider this... as the results across the league of late have shown, ICT getting pumped by the fakes, Well forced to suck shellick boaby etc, etc all come to show that only one club in the SPFL is capable of going the distance with a reasonable level of consistency.

That club being shellick with access to mind-boggling finances, resources, support, youth development, scouting and squad quality and size. The rest of us stick plasters on when we get hurt throughout the season. some times the plasters stick for a while, other times they wash away with a raindrop.

Our plasters came off with perspiration in the pre-match warm-up before the first game! ICT's came off against an average fakes side, and Well just seemed to have read the script about away teams losing without a fight at the San Giro....

With the couple of free saturdays coming up distorting how the table looks given current form, I say look at where we are against Hearts, Kille, Aberdeen, Fakes, Thistle, County, Utd, Hibees heck even ICT and Well come 17:00pm on Jan 1st.

I reckon given our newly found/resurrected resources in defence, coupled with a sweet midfield, and options up front bode well for us being top six at the turn of the year!

Now will we pass ICT by then..? Maybe, maybe not, but if your up for it i'll wager you a pint we are top six at 17:00pm Jan 1st 2014."

How does top six 17:00pm Jan 1st 2014 look now???

Edited by somner9