Turned Around?

Turning point of the season was stopping the passing game closely followed by dropping Harkins and Grainger jettison those 2 along with Bahokken in January.It is turning around now lets keep it that way.

The whole team was pish at the start of the season so how you can pick on Grainger is beyond me, he would perform a lot better in the team now that the team is playing with a lot of confidence. He's a very good player!

For the stattos out there, this is our best league form for 5 years. In December '08 we won all of our games (Falkirk, INVERNESS, Kilmarnock, HAMILTON). The final game of that winning run was the last ever game at Love Street. Was the year that we stayed up by winning at Falkirk before they relegated ICT on their own ground the following week.

Hmmmm.

Does this scarily mean that DL is on schedule for a Manager of the Month? :unsure:

A wise, sorry brilliant man once said when all around were spouting keech and insisting we won a cup inspite of our manager's tactics...

"Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:27

And i stick by what I said, though you can't call it a prediction, more a personal opinion.

Consider this... as the results across the league of late have shown, ICT getting pumped by the fakes, Well forced to suck shellick boaby etc, etc all come to show that only one club in the SPFL is capable of going the distance with a reasonable level of consistency.

That club being shellick with access to mind-boggling finances, resources, support, youth development, scouting and squad quality and size. The rest of us stick plasters on when we get hurt throughout the season. some times the plasters stick for a while, other times they wash away with a raindrop.

Our plasters came off with perspiration in the pre-match warm-up before the first game! ICT's came off against an average fakes side, and Well just seemed to have read the script about away teams losing without a fight at the San Giro....

With the couple of free saturdays coming up distorting how the table looks given current form, I say look at where we are against Hearts, Kille, Aberdeen, Fakes, Thistle, County, Utd, Hibees heck even ICT and Well come 17:00pm on Jan 1st.

I reckon given our newly found/resurrected resources in defence, coupled with a sweet midfield, and options up front bode well for us being top six at the turn of the year!

Now will we pass ICT by then..? Maybe, maybe not, but if your up for it i'll wager you a pint we are top six at 17:00pm Jan 1st 2014."

How does top six 17:00pm Jan 1st 2014 look now???

Still an exceedingly remote prospect.

Guest somner9

Still an exceedingly remote prospect.

C'mon.... with a run of form such as we've had and a fixture list that favours us between now and then..?

We've still got Harkins and Grainger up our sleeves, and arguably the best midfield in the league.

C'mon.... with a run of form such as we've had and a fixture list that favours us between now and then..?

We've still got Harkins and Grainger up our sleeves, and arguably the best midfield in the league.

As I mentioned previously 6th spot is a moving target - I expect it to be 27/28 points by January 1st.

7 games to get 13/14 points (+1 for GD, probably) is achievable but 4 of the games are against teams in the Top 6, of course if we beat these teams then the target will drop but even with our improved form I reckon 6th place by January 1st will be beyond us.

FWIW I reckon this turnaround echoes that made in his first season when after a poor start he toughened the team up. We've options in every position except one ph34r.png - but yeah like Oscar Wilde I too am looking upwards at present.

Edited by Bud the Baker

For the stattos out there, this is our best league form for 5 years.

In December '08 we won all of our games (Falkirk, INVERNESS, Kilmarnock, HAMILTON). The final game of that winning run was the last ever game at Love Street. Was the year that we stayed up by winning at Falkirk before they relegated ICT on their own ground the following week.

If I recall correctly, Gus was made manager of the month and we then went on an horrendous run.

Hope we win next week and MacNamara is voted MotM for November.whistling.gif

No one Can play No 9 to the St Mirren standard Before Thommo who was playing to this supposed standard?

Don't really understand this question. If you're asking who played the number 9 to an acceptable standard before Thommo i'd say guys like Higdon, Mehmet, Sutton even Parkin. Thommo is playing above the standard expected of that position at us because he is a fantastic player. The problem is we have quite literally no one else that can play there to an acceptable standard. We need him to hold up till January then reinforce the position post haste.

i have a problem with your analysis Lex

you say the management got it wrong at he start

but have proved the doubters wrong

you mentioned players who in your mind are useless and have no value to the team

but what if they have a stonking 2nd half to the season

the last 6 weeks has shown me ( although i did have little doubt) what can happen

again......wayyyyy to early to judge.....you just never know

What if they don't?

I'm passing judgement on what i've seen already. Harkins is one of the top earners at the club and has a 2 year contract, he's had about 10 minutes game time since he was subbed off at Easter Road in September. His lack of game time has resulted in a significant upturn in the clubs fortunes, coincidence?

I don't like seeing any senior players having such a marginal role within the club, it's not value for money for us. However, if he is happy to be a bit part player fine, but given he threw a strop at Killie last year because he was being subbed off too regularly for his liking, i'd say that's unlikely, although he does seem to be taking his lack of involvement quite well thusfar. I'd like to see him loaned out to a club like Dundee in January who are willing to pay a chunk of his wage, and for us to use the money saved on another player.

Get what you're saying but.............

There were plenty on here keen for Harkins to come. Once you sign the guy, you have to at least give him a go.

Bahoken was recommended by the same people that recommended Goncalves. Certainly worth a gamble.

There were plenty on here keen for Carey, Guy and Parkin to move on. And both Carey and Parkin were out of contract and wanted to move on.

Personally I did not want Harkins near the club and was happy enough to Keep Carey, Guy and Parkin. But I can see why Danny made the decisions he did. And I'm also willing to admit that just maybe he might more a little more about the game than me.

Plenty never wanted Harkins to come too. He was given far too long a contract then he was given far too much of a chance, he should have been dropped after the Caley game on the first day of the season IMO. I had no problem with Carey, Parkin and Guy moving on, the problem is with them not being replaced. Carey certainly never wanted to leave, and Parkin was told he could go.

Bahoken can't even get on the bench these days, and who could blame Danny, he's been absolutely terrible in the game time he's got. Some gambles pay off, this one certainly has the look of one that won't. When gambles pay off the management gets praised, as they were with Isma last year. This should mean they should also be held to account when gambles don't pay off.

Aye and you were calling for his head before the season even started after we lost a couple of friendlies.

That's the trouble with too many young guys.

Far too impatient. You want everything perfect - yesterday.

One minute you're all depressed and the next you're all happy clappy.

Frankly nobody gives a f**k. The rest of us kept on a steady level all the way through it.

Tell you what - I'd f**king hate having a headless chicken like you on my team in a moment of crisis.

Guys who are all over the place emotionally like you are a pain in the arse and a waste of energy.

A long rambling bizarre post filled with profanities, personal attacks and inaccuracies, that's Oaky for you. What a strange man.

I wasn't calling for his head after we lost a couple of friendlies. I don't get depressed about anything that happens on a football pitch. Headless chicken? All over the place emotionally?

Like i said, bizarre.

Those who were calling for Danny's head deserve most of the credit for the turnaround. DL was a rabbit in the headlights who was scared to make changes. The pressure the dissenters put on DL brought about the changes in team selection and tactics that have made the difference. Getting Goodwin out of the back 4 and dropping Harkins and Cornell as well as focussing Thommo and McGowan on the task at hand has made the difference. Well done the dissenters !

That post is almost as funny as your performance at Pitoddrie a few years back Wilbur. lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Those who were calling for Danny's head deserve most of the credit for the turnaround. DL was a rabbit in the headlights who was scared to make changes. The pressure the dissenters put on DL brought about the changes in team selection and tactics that have made the difference. Getting Goodwin out of the back 4 and dropping Harkins and Cornell as well as focussing Thommo and McGowan on the task at hand has made the difference. Well done the dissenters !

Spot on Wilbur , even John McGinn's comments last week about having Goodwin in the midfield at last bear that out. Danny made the mistake of playing Jim in the back four simply because by playing him there he could accommodate Harkins , while most of the guys who are switched on knew things wouldn't improve until Danny woke up. And so it has proved !

Guest somner9

So in essence the real reason behind our renaissance in form stems from various fans calling for Danny to be sacked, only for him not to be sacked, and manage the team to our best run in some five years.....

we'll that,s not too hard to fathom... Is it?

only question is if he had been sacked seven weeks ago, we went a couple of games before getting a replacement, and we didn't,t have this run would that be Danny,s fault as we'll? I guess it would have to be..

Spot on Wilbur , even John McGinn's comments last week about having Goodwin in the midfield at last bear that out. Danny made the mistake of playing Jim in the back four simply because by playing him there he could accommodate Harkins , while most of the guys who are switched on knew things wouldn't improve until Danny woke up. And so it has proved !

Don't you understand it doesn't matter a fcuk who you or I think was responsible, everyone who's involved deserves credit.

Changing the odd player here or there isn't the biggest difference, the team are playing for the manager and confidence is the key difference, not "I told you so".

And yet we beat both Celtic and Hearts to win the league cup with Goodie alongside McAusland. No Harkins in sight either.

There's no doubt Goodie is playing a pivotal role in the team but we needed to have defenders to replace him. McGregor returning means we have them now.

Edited by stlucifer

Indeed.

Well said Wilbur.

Its ironic that the "lynch mob" are the guys who have actually saved Danny's job while the happy clappers would have clapped him all the way to a P45 and would have clapped this club all the way back to the First Division.

Don't you understand it doesn't matter a fcuk who you or I think was responsible, everyone who's involved deserves credit.

Changing the odd player here or there isn't the biggest difference, the team are playing for the manager and confidence is the key difference, not "I told you so".

What a load of tripe.

Moving Jim Goodwin out of the back 4 and into midfield, moving Paul McGowan out of a deep lying midfield role to just behind Steven Thompson and dropping all Danny's shite summer signings isn't "the odd player or there" :1eye

I told you where Danny was going wrong. I was proved right. You were wrong. All along, all along.

Indeed.

Well said Wilbur.

Its ironic that the "lynch mob" are the guys who have actually saved Danny's job while the happy clappers would have clapped him all the way to a P45 and would have clapped this club all the way back to the First Division.

Can't do a "you're a saddo" smilie but you get the drift.

Just to help you remember what you said, and the unnecessary reference to this "1/20". I can't be arsed trawling through the gleeful weeks of pish you posted when we were on this poor run, just nice to see your post count has reduced dramatically in the last 6 weeks.

There were PLENTY of threads covering every possible aspect of our poor run, and it's great to see many of the most enthusiastic in these threads have all but dried up apart from grudging minor praise. :lol

If you READ my OP you will see that I mentioned many of the level headed support were, quite rightly IMO, asking questions about the managers future, as things were not looking good.

Just to clarify, I attended 12 games last season, none this season, major factor I've had surgery on my shoulder.

As has been mentioned throughout many posts this weekend, sitting among moaning faced cnts at games really does make it a chore so not attending isn't such a hardship.

Also, since you're a bit dim, I only comment on the facts as, you quite righty say, I'm not there and I DON'T post on the team or individuals performances.

It's always the more dim "supporters" that reach for the "You don't attend so you don't count" line.

I hope this makes it clear.

Loud and clear down here faraway loud and clear. I am sorry that you haven't made it down and wish you a speedy recovery . I would say that until you have had to sit thought the dross we served up then I have every right to call it as I see it. I have congratulated Danny recently but as with any team when the chips are down the media intensify the stories and its on here many fans vent their frustration. I am most certainly not dim but if you get a kick out of that then I'm fine with that. Fact is you have watched saints 12 times in a season and a half whilst I have been there all the time meaning I can criticise the team and. Praise them as I see how good or bad they are. Yes it's fickle yes we get frustrated but its football the world over. Anyhow I must have missed something as two months ago I seem to remember almost everyone saying it wasn't good enough and it wasn't but hey now it is.

Indeed.

Well said Wilbur.

You, wilbur, norrie82, bud the baker and billyg (the wannabee manager) proved that when the going got tough you lost your nerve, bottled it and turned your back on the team when it needed you most.

You abandoned your team until they started winning again and therefore deserve every ounce of scorn and dogs abuse that you are receiving at the moment.

Supporting a winning team is easy. Properly supporting a struggling team is what makes the victories especially sweet.

I have no idea what form of "support" you lot think you were demonstrating when in reality you were making our team's performance worse by making them scared to touch the ball in case they made a mistake.

Without people like you our team would have recovered their confidence much quicker than they did.

Julian Banjos wrote:

For the stattos out there, this is our best league form for 5 years.

In December '08 we won all of our games (Falkirk, INVERNESS, Kilmarnock, HAMILTON). The final game of that winning run was the last ever game at Love Street. Was the year that we stayed up by winning at Falkirk before they relegated ICT on their own ground the following week.

http://www.blackandw...om-games/page-2

Dargo!

ETA: see below

Edited by Bart Simpson

And yet we beat both Celtic and Hearts to win the league cup with Goodie alongside McAusland. No Harkins in sight either.

There's no doubt Goodie is playing a pivotal role in the team but we needed to have defenders to replace him. McGregor returning means we have them now.

Selective ? We already had Lee Mair who could have slotted into the back four thus allowing Goodwin to bolster the midfield at the expense of Harkins ! The signs were there early doors , but Danny chose to stick with Harkins while accommodating Goodwin and McGowan in positions that weren't their strongest ! It was such a glaring error of judgement by Lennon that any wannabee manager could see it !

Selective ? We already had Lee Mair who could have slotted into the back four thus allowing Goodwin to bolster the midfield at the expense of Harkins ! The signs were there early doors , but Danny chose to stick with Harkins while accommodating Goodwin and McGowan in positions that weren't their strongest ! It was such a glaring error of judgement by Lennon that any wannabee manager could see it !

Selective is ignoring the fact that with McGregor out, Mair (who should have been our stalwart and main defender) proved time and time again to be a lightweight liability that the fans wanted dropped! I find it incredible that has been selectively forgotten as part of the anti-manager agenda!!!

Some blamed Cheesy... some blamed Mair... some blamed both.

Whatever, moving Goodwin back for a period did indeed bolster the defence whilst McGregor was out... and with Darren back, our midfield is all the better for it.

Whatever, moving Goodwin back for a period did indeed bolster the defence whilst McGregor was out... and with Darren back, our midfield is all the better for it.

In other words , we won the cup with Goodwin in the central defensive role , followed by an horrific league run-in afterwards with Goodwin in the central defensive role , followed by an awful start to this season , shipping goals left right and centre , with Goodwin in the central defensive role ! Then we moved Goodwin from the central defensive role , just as the wannabee managers wanted and heyyyyyy. You get my drift ?

In other words , we won the cup with Goodwin in the central defensive role , followed by an horrific league run-in afterwards with Goodwin in the central defensive role , followed by an awful start to this season , shipping goals left right and centre , with Goodwin in the central defensive role ! Then we moved Goodwin from the central defensive role , just as the wannabee managers wanted and heyyyyyy. You get my drift ?

Not really.

We won the cup with him in defence.

The rest of that season was a write off due to the cup win and a price worth paying.

Pre and early season were extremely worrying and I think a lot of stuff was happening behind the scenes that we as supporters won't ever hear about.

The move of Goodwin to midfield co-incided with McGregors return to fitness.