The Jim Goodwin Thread

Happy if Goodwin didn't get a contract extension, aye rightlol.gif

The first loss after he left and this place would be full of tear stained posts about how we should never have let him go and we lack physical presence.

Anyone seriously wanting him out of the club need to get a grip of themselves. Absolute knee jerk drivel on par with the shite coming from Utd and you're no better.

Sorry. You can't call Goodwin a tremendous asset to the club when he is running around elbowing players, is about to be cited by the sfa and has a history of yellow and red cards

Every team has to have a defensive minded player to allow the more talented players play, but his negatives far outweigh this positives

2 red cards. For a 32 year old in his role of defender/midfielder? Christ, Aber' got more red cards in a two minute spell once than Jim has had in his career.

Jim stands up for stmirren when did we last have a player who refused to be bullied and who was an on field leader. He is a tremendous asset and when he isn't in the team we miss his aggression badly

Not often I agree with you Norrie but you're spot on here.

Hounding one of our own after a 4-1 thrashing of the inform team is pathetic.

Indeed. We should be hounding the Thommohawk... 4-1 up, a long high ball is played up to him - he tries a miracle first-time volley and the ball ends up hitting the international space station. Shameful, he should be tucking these easy chances away. Time to get rid. Booo!

Lex made a great point over on P&B

united player sent off for a dirty tackle

saints player with a cut head due to a united elbow

separate incidents

do we go down the tit for tat route?

as i said before...where does it all end???

chick IS right when he says that there should consistency shown across the board and not just nit-picking certain incidents and that includes the BBC and media in general

Jim Goodwin - St.Mirren cup winning legend.

He's an asset to our team and contributes greatly to allowing our more skilful players express themselves and win matches. i'll defend him to the hilt as he adds to our team and goes out on that park as someone fully determined to win the match for St.Mirren.

Challenges like this being highlighted may not be pretty but i honestly couldn't give two hoots.

Nothing is made of Mackay-Steven jumping into Sean Kelly leading with the arm in the first half when he was never getting anywhere near the ball and it was 10 yards in front of the linesman. Goodwin may well get a ban. It may well not be his last either but I'd rather have him than not. As others have said - plenty of other teams have them - Black, Lasley, McCulloch, and whoever else. These are the guys that everyone loves to hate. Simple fact is - we'd be weaker without Goodwin (Murray, Millen, Aber, etc.) and that may well have allowed Dundee Utd to stroll around the park to win the match the exact way McNamara wanted.

Lex made a great point over on P&B

united player sent off for a dirty tackle

saints player with a cut head due to a united elbow

separate incidents

do we go down the tit for tat route?

as i said before...where does it all end???

chick IS right when he says that there should consistency shown across the board and not just nit-picking certain incidents and that includes the BBC and media in general

No. It's pathetic and embarrassing. I wouldn't be too chuffed if our club went sniveling to the authorities about a big boy who hit us and ran away.

Also interesting that Lennon and McNamara are ex-team mates of Jim yet feel the need to publicly abuse him. He must have been the longest in the shower.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

So what if he had been sent off for the elbow in the first 5 minutes and we had lost 4 1 rather than won 4 1 ?

He may now get another ban and what if we lose these games ?

All ifs and buts I know

The team need a defensive midfield player to win the ball and let the ball players play. Put his foot in and win tackles for sure but the afters that he gets involved in doesn't help the team

Some of the abuse on here is disgraceful.

By all means give the guy a hard time for his moment of madness, he deserves that. In no way can anyone call him a sustained liability or deny the fact that he's an asset to the club both on and off the park.

Jim's good points far outweigh his bad points.

I can absolutely see strength in both sides of this debate.

I think Jim needs to be a bit more cute at times, as we suffer when any player is sent off and/or suspended. The red mist coming down is understandable, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Deep breath, and a bit of gentle goading and winding up would be sufficient to knock our opponents off their game without flying in too readily.

That said, he is our club captain, and a cup winning hero, and, as such, deserves our gratitude and respect. A witch hunt is wholly out of order.

I have praised goody before on match day posts when he was being criticised as I think he has great commitment and is a good player. God knows I think football has been totally ruined by officials and governing body's to the point of turning it in to a non contact sport but I do not want to see any st mirren player deliberately trying to hurt opponents in that sort of way. It was quite brutal and I don't think if he had seriously hurt that young boy there would be so many people backing him. In saying that all players lose there temper at some point as it is a passionate game and it's done but he is definitely going to be a target for the officials now

Jim Goodwin is the pantomime villain of players. He has often been the type of player that ST Mirren have been crying out for in the past and I have seen similar types play against us often enough in the past to covet a midfield enforcer such as he.....

Trouble just now is that he is ageing, is starting to get overrun by direct skilful players more often than not and ends up carded out of games. DL was quite right to sub him the other day, his continuance in the game could have cost us, probably would have, just like previous fixtures.

Goodwin will cop a ban for the forearm across the player, no doubt, it's how he responds that's gonna dictate his future, that and us slotting in a replacement. Good guy, like him a lot , but his card count is going one way, his effectiveness to us the other.

Jim Goodwin is the pantomime villain of players. He has often been the type of player that ST Mirren have been crying out for in the past and I have seen similar types play against us often enough in the past to covet a midfield enforcer such as he.....

Trouble just now is that he is ageing, is starting to get overrun by direct skilful players more often than not and ends up carded out of games. DL was quite right to sub him the other day, his continuance in the game could have cost us, probably would have, just like previous fixtures.

Goodwin will cop a ban for the forearm across the player, no doubt, it's how he responds that's gonna dictate his future, that and us slotting in a replacement. Good guy, like him a lot , but his card count is going one way, his effectiveness to us the other.

Good post.

Another thing for me is that what he done was so unneccessary, im not saying he is the answer but Vanzy has played in the JG role for about a game and a half now, we havent conceded a goal, he has been steady yet not spectacular and he hasnt got involved in half the nonsense Jim allowed himself to get caught up in the the dundee Utd game.

One thing is for sure, the refs will be focusing on him more than ever now, opposition players will be desperate to wind him up and then make the most of anything that happens.

He is only 32 he will play on in the sitting midfield role for another five years easy. He is a fit lad who I believe is missed when he is not in the team. Ok he will need to cut out silliness but I mean overall he's been a fantastic signing

Poor misunderstood Jim, The world's got it in for him, The referees, the opposition, Danny Lennon, the Dundee United manager. Even the Black and White Army seems to be getting the finger pointed at them. Is Jim innocent? He's brought it all on himself and has only himself to blame. We keep hearing he has only been sent off twice so he must have received a hell of a lot of yellow cards when we see how often he has been suspended. He's no good to us when he's suspended as he surely will be after yesterday. I've seen many a player who has been harder than Jim but they knew when to stop. Jim has brought a lot to St.Mirren and has been a great captain but at his age it's time he caught a grip, We have a small first team pool and it's bad enough juggling the players when we have injuries without losing key players through their own stupidity.

There have been a couple of comments along the lines of what Jim does is all part and parcel of the game and it's all OK. Macho nonsense. Football is and always will be a contact sport but lifting a hand, elbow or boot to an opponent has always been foul play and nowadays with cameras at virtually every game it's harder to get away with it. I have no complaint about that. In this forum almost every week the word 'cheat' crops up aimed at opposition players or teams. But quite a few on this forum think it's all OK. if our players cheat. It isn't.

Trouble just now is that he is ageing, is starting to get overrun by direct skilful players more often than not and ends up carded out of games.

Spot on. I like having him in there protecting the younger players, but he's getting slower and can struggle to get into position to make tackles. Question is whether he can adapt his game to continue to offer something. You wonder if he's frustrated that he can't offer as much as he once could and this is making him lose his discipline a bit.

Similar kind of situation with DVZ. Too slow to play full back regularly and may have to remodel himself as an intelligent holding midfield player to prolong his career. Would be happy to see him start there in place of Goodwin today.

I think there is now a witchhunt againt Goody that could ruin his career. Everyone seems to be able to mouth off against him with no action being taken. Personally I would like to see Danny defend him more when he can and I know that some of Goody's style is indefensible. However Adams had a prolonged rant at Goody after his team had two men sent off against us with one being a horrific tackle against Cheesy. Yet we do not condemn Sproule and laugh off the ghost comments. Maybe a complaint of bringing the game into disrepute would stop these outbursts.

On Radio Scotland yesterday they were lining up to put the proverbial boot into Goodwin. I am not defending what he done but no-one got injured, maimed or even killed or had their career cut short. He struck out an arm and hit someone - should have been sent off - end of story.

My other issue in all of this is the role of the Compliance Officer. Who is he? - he's the BBC Video Editor, that's who. In the game on Thu there were several controvertial incidents but only one was shown on TV and that is the only one being investigated. Either study the full 90 mins or ignore it all and let the ref do his job. Do not leave it to the editor in the BBC.