The Jim Goodwin Thread

Absolutely agree. No team should take the field without a spoiler at the base of midfield. Always the most under-rated players by people who don't know football; always the first name on my imaginary team sheets.

Thing is, I always imagine there'd be plenty of these kind of guys - cheap, experienced and happy to play back-up - at, say, (Scottish) Championship level. We don't need young and promising, we need old and cynical. IMO.

It's worrying that Lennon either thought we didn't need one or that McGinn or McGowan could do that type of role.

And even if it was the latter, why would it be a good idea to lose the best attibutes of both players (forward passing, direct running & creating) in favour of them trying to break up the play?

And even if it was the latter, why would it be a good idea to lose the best attibutes of both players (forward passing, direct running & creating) in favour of them trying to break up the play?

Absolutely spot on , in fact almost word for word what my brother said to me during the early stages of the match yesterday.

Absolutely agree. No team should take the field without a spoiler at the base of midfield. Always the most under-rated players by people who don't know football; always the first name on my imaginary team sheets.

Thing is, I always imagine there'd be plenty of these kind of guys - cheap, experienced and happy to play back-up - at, say, (Scottish) Championship level. We don't need young and promising, we need old and cynical. IMO.

Spot on.

It seems the majority of our fans don't rate Goodwin at all, which i don't really understand for the most part. Granted he sometimes tries too many Hollywood passes and he should be nowhere near free kicks or penalties, but when he's on his game he is one of the best midfield spoilers in the league. You just need to see the rage he generates amongst opposition fans and managers to see how effective he can be.

Him sitting there allows the guys like McLean/McGinn/Newton/McGowan to get forward and play, whenever he's not there our attacking threat from these guys is significantly blunted, as it was yesterday. It also leaves our defence significantly more exposed, as it did yesterday. I can't wait until he's back in the team.

I would fine Jim Goodwin 2 weeks wages for his 2 game suspension as a result of his elbow on Armstrong. Not acceptable conduct for a club captain or even any player that plays for our great club. Just my thoughts in the situation as he let everyone down. We can't afford to employ player's that are suspended for 4 league games within first half of season.

I see Ross County are about to bring in a "tough tackling , aggressive" midfielder from the English premiership. We've got one already in Goodwin , but some suggest we don't need a player of this type !

He's not tough tackling though. He kicks and elbows opponents, there's a difference.

We do need one and I would love a tough tacking midfielder. A Shuggy in his prime would be perfect.

Edited by davidg

I see Ross County are about to bring in a "tough tackling , aggressive" midfielder from the English premiership. We've got one already in Goodwin , but some suggest we don't need a player of this type !

He will be a fantastic signing for County. Hope we have signings lined up because it won't be long before County overtake us.

Missed him at Killy as we're missing him now.

Should be first name on the teamsheet every week. Other fans hate him and he's getting stick on here from his own side. Unacceptable in my view, but so is a lot of what goes on on the site.

Jim is a f**king Saints Legend in the making.

He's not tough tackling though. He kicks and elbows opponents, there's a difference.

We do need one and I would love a tough tacking midfielder. A Shuggy in his prime would be perfect.

This must be a joke? Murray was far more of a hatchetman than Goodwin has ever been.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

Anyone watching this and claiming they want Goodwin out really have evaluate their expectations of him. Badly missed, we have been completely over run this second half which there is no chance would happen with Goodwin.

We need Jim Goodwin in this St.Mirren side. Simple as that.

Correct , I don't particularly care if he's here next season or not but right now it's essential that he walks back into the team.

Anyone watching this and claiming they want Goodwin out really have evaluate their expectations of him. Badly missed, we have been completely over run this second half which there is no chance would happen with Goodwin.

We need Jim Goodwin in this St.Mirren side. Simple as that.

The only reason he wasn't in the side today was his own stupidity.

Agreed.. And he's had the same view us us suffering fans the last two games so let's hope he's taken the time to think about it- we've missed him big time.

No we haven't! John McGinn has been much better in that position...no randomly running in to people, no shite distribution, no elbows...

He played in last season's 5-0 defeat.

And?

The way today's game played out, how we played first half and early into the second half there's no way with a bit of steel, in the form of Goodwin, our midfield would have capitulated they way it did second half.

It appears even our own fans have bought into this Adams/McNamara/media pish being peddled.