The Jim Goodwin Thread

And?

The way today's game played out, how we played first half and early into the second half there's no way with a bit of steel, in the form of Goodwin, our midfield would have capitulated they way it did second half.

It appears even our own fans have bought into this Adams/McNamara/media pish being peddled.

No, I've just never rated him. He's a lower league player with no footballing brain, but appeals to an element of our support because he occasionally concentrates long enough to do the basics not badly. I can't even remember him playing for Hamilton, just another anonymous clugger.

No, I've just never rated him. He's a lower league player with no footballing brain, but appeals to an element of our support because he occasionally concentrates long enough to do the basics not badly. I can't even remember him playing for Hamilton, just another anonymous clugger.

Then why is the match thread full of "we missed Goody" posts? Some dish it out to him then when the shit hits the fan everyone is screaming from the rooftops how badly we need him.

He's not tough tackling though. He kicks and elbows opponents, there's a difference.

We do need one and I would love a tough tacking midfielder. A Shuggy in his prime would be perfect.

haha jim goodwin not tough tackling - you must be kidding, did he refuse you a free ticket or something ?

only my opinion,not nice to see you calling me a cnut though, but hey you'll be right as usual

So it's your opinion that I don't rate Jim Goodwin because he didn't give me a comp ticket which, in fact I never asked for or have even spoken to.

Opinion or just talking pish......

Guest somner9

Jim Goodwin's not a tough tackler..? Is there some collective madness at play here?

The three premiership managers mentioned here, http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/st-mirren-v-celtic-newton-talks-up-campbell-1-3256138 along with what seems to be the majority of premiership managers disagree with our own forum experts, but hey what would the majority of professional premiership manager with there UEFA coaching licences know about football and footballers..?

Jim Goodwin's not a tough tackler..? Is there some collective madness at play here?

The three premiership managers mentioned here, http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/st-mirren-v-celtic-newton-talks-up-campbell-1-3256138 along with what seems to be the majority of premiership managers disagree with our own forum experts, but hey what would the majority of professional premiership manager with there UEFA coaching licences know about football and footballers..?

And none have said he's a tough tackler.....

So 3 qualified guys with their UEFA coaching licences have publicly criticised his style.... thanks for clearing that up.

Guest somner9

And none have said he's a tough tackler.....

So 3 qualified guys with their UEFA coaching licences have publicly criticised his style.... thanks for clearing that up.

Lets be clear... are you publicly stating that you believe our captain Jim Goodwin who has had countless suspension and cards, some merited, many not because players and managers get in the officials ear from the get-go. Isn't a tough tackler???

this reply should be good for a chortlethumbup2.gif

Lets be clear... are you publicly stating that you believe our captain Jim Goodwin who has had countless suspension and cards, some merited, many not because players and managers get in the officials ear from the get-go. Isn't a tough tackler???

this reply should be good for a chortlethumbup2.gif

Tony, Tony, Tony.

I've already shared my opinion several times in this thread. Cracking a young footballer in the jaw with your elbow doesn't make you a tough tackler.

Eveb tho we missed jims mentalness, sorry I mean his tough tackling style play the last 2 games, I just dont know who DL is going too drop. If Newton loan ends then theres a space but then who does he play right mid. Now it looks like this will be intresting too see what DL is going 2 do.

Tony, Tony, Tony.

I've already shared my opinion several times in this thread. Cracking a young footballer in the jaw with your elbow doesn't make you a tough tackler.

One recent incident and TWO red cards in his entire Saints career doesn't detract from the fact Jim Goodwin breaks up play and organises things for us.

As previously mentioned many of Jim's yellow cards were dubious at best. The unneccessary elbow deserves to be denounced but a lot of what he does is not only neccessary but essential to our team.

If we don't have Goodie we will need an almost clone to allow our young players to do what they do.

One recent incident and TWO red cards in his entire Saints career doesn't detract from the fact Jim Goodwin breaks up play and organises things for us.

As previously mentioned many of Jim's yellow cards were dubious at best. The unneccessary elbow deserves to be denounced but a lot of what he does is not only neccessary but essential to our team.

If we don't have Goodie we will need an almost clone to allow our young players to do what they do.

totally agree

From anyone that was at the game yesterday was Goodwin as dirty as the Sunday Mail suggests? I know I shouldnt read that paper etc but I did and they are saying on another day Goodwin should have walked, is this a fair reflection or is it just usual pish from the tabloids trying to make him out to be the bad guy?

From anyone that was at the game yesterday was Goodwin as dirty as the Sunday Mail suggests? I know I shouldnt read that paper etc but I did and they are saying on another day Goodwin should have walked, is this a fair reflection or is it just usual pish from the tabloids trying to make him out to be the bad guy?

It's a mans game, about time all this shite stops about Goodwin, we need him in the team. We need at least one player too stop opposing players from playing. As for the papers I don't buy them, full of bullshit and O.F. biasness.

It's a mans game, about time all this shite stops about Goodwin, we need him in the team. We need at least one player too stop opposing players from playing. As for the papers I don't buy them, full of bullshit and O.F. biasness.  

yeah great reply.

What 'shite' have I said about Goodwin?

The great 'don't buy the papers' quote getting used, I'd already acknowledged during my post that papers shouldn't be read, so no need to beat that drum again. I wasnt at the game yesterday and wanted an idea how the game went so I bought a paper to try to find out, knowing that they are not wholly accurate I thought I'd ask on here, a forum that is set up to discuss st mirren, and used a thread that is already ongoing about Goodwin rather than starting a new thread. I was hoping I'd get the views of a St Mirren fan, f**k knows why I thought this place would be the right place.

How about answering the question?

Goodwin is a great captain for me. Aberdeen fans were ripping into him on line then one wrote. he is the type of player you would like in your team not against. Sums him up for me. Other managers have put him on the spot light and like lambs following the sheep so do some Saints fans. He knocked back Hibs to stay with us I for one like him

Goodwin is a great captain for me. Aberdeen fans were ripping into him on line then one wrote. he is the type of player you would like in your team not against. Sums him up for me. Other managers have put him on the spot light and like lambs following the sheep so do some Saints fans. He knocked back Hibs to stay with us I for one like him

It's not just the "incidents" though, there's a much bigger picture of awful distribution, poor decision making and putting the team in to trouble to be considered.

Unfortunately something has crept into his game as of late.

If he gets an early booking (and let's be honest, he usually does) then he's more or less rendered ineffective for the rest of the game. By all accounts he was as good as a man down after being booked yesterday such was his fear of getting sent off. Actively avoiding tackles as he knew how fine the tightrope he was walking. A very similar situation to the Dundee Utd game.

I love Jim, but we can't have that in the side I'm afraid.

I paid particular attention to Goodwin, and, IMO, he looked too scared to tackle, so the Mail got wrong. He got booked for a tackle that Calum Murray, the ref, let go when done by the fake Saints players. Murray played to Murray Davidson's game and refereed accordingly