The Jim Goodwin Thread

jim was a target for the sj players, davidson and may in particular were running or bumping into him then falling down,he was booked after one of these moves and as mentioned on a previous post the ref gave fouls against jim and let their players off for very similar tackles,may should have been booked for at least one dive and nigel also had a spectacular dive which the ref ignored

jim did not have a dirty game at all,the tactics of sj players was the dirtiest aspect of the game

I paid particular attention to Goodwin, and, IMO, he looked too scared to tackle, so the Mail got wrong. He got booked for a tackle that Calum Murray, the ref, let go when done by the fake Saints players. Murray played to Murray Davidson's game and refereed accordingly

that's what I was thinking the press are now lapping up what MacNamara, Neil Lenon, Adams have all said and are making the situation worse.

Are there any saints minded journo's out there that could do an alternative piece about Goodwin?

It is now a witch hunt against Jim. I think the Club should have been far more outspoken in his defence when other managers had a go. Sproule committed possibly the worst sending off I have seen in the new stadium but the only talking point was Goodwin. The Club should have condemned Sproule and told Adams to shut the f**k up.

It is now a witch hunt against Jim. I think the Club should have been far more outspoken in his defence when other managers had a go. Sproule committed possibly the worst sending off I have seen in the new stadium but the only talking point was Goodwin. The Club should have condemned Sproule and told Adams to shut the f**k up.

Which looks like it has had an effect on his game.

I'm of the opinion Goodwins a mixed bag, sure he's no Messi but what he brings is a big part of our team.

It's well quoted he allows our "quality" players to play, he does the unglamorous work in midfield.

Sure he's reckless at times, many of these type of players are, but I's still rather have him in the team any day.

Edited by faraway saint

The thing is, that if Goodwin had just stuck to the hard tackling we could be more vociferous in defending him.

However, the elbowing incident has effectively rendered null and void, any claims that Goodwin is a hard but fair player.

The club can defend him all they like, but the media, opposition managers and fans will deliberately bring up the unsavoury element to his game, which immediately overshadows any claims that he's not a dirty player.

Yup, JIm's so called notoriety is now a weakness for us. Just like the fakes targeted him yesterday, every time he turns out for us now it will be easy for any ref to presume guilt on any 50/50 contentious tackle and playing to the popular myth that if Goodwin is involved he must be the main culprit.

What do we do, tell him to play his slightly less committed game. Poor situation we are in now with our midfield enforcer.

Do not disagree FTOF but the Club should have nipped this in the bud and not let it get out of control which it now has. Its now trial by pundit and journo. Jim does not help himself at times but the hysteria is now overwhelming.

TBH Lennon has been in the papers defending Goodwin and referring to his unfair treatment.

The club also made an official statement expressing their disappointment at Goodwin being singled out by opposition managers and the media.

I'm not really sure what more they could have done.

If we keep going on about it, we'll only end up drawing more attention to a situation which has been seized upon in an extremely OTT manner by all and sundry. Letting the furore die down and hope that refs are professional enough, to do their job properly (aye, I know) is our best bet.

I felt the Club did not defend Jim enough with the Neil Lennon and Derek Adams outbursts. They only came out after Dundee Utd had a media attack which was too little and too late (although there is no excuse for the arm out). Now a Sunday paper is printing something which is apparently not justified. The Club should be releasing a statement condemning this unwarrented attack. On phone-ins and media comments everyone and their Aunty is now having a go at him most who rarely ever see the guy play. Jim is hard but in my opinion he is no hatchet man.

The attached link shows the current disciplinary records in the premiership. http://espnfc.com/stats/discipline/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

There are three players with a worse record and one with the same but we never hear about them being described as thugs.

Get over yourself.

It's a mans game and all players who play on the edge like Jim occasionally step over that line. This sort of shit goes on all the time at all levels of football - sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and you don't know what went on unseen before the incident. The Armstrong incident was a strong arm in the face and a red card offense but not the dangerous elbow that some people make out.

I've never seen Goodwin make the sort of cowardly dangerous tackles the likes of kid-on hard men like Black and Lasley regularly make from behind, or the over the ball leg breakers. Those two would take the long way around a 50-50 challenge with Jim.

yeah great reply.

What 'shite' have I said about Goodwin?

The great 'don't buy the papers' quote getting used, I'd already acknowledged during my post that papers shouldn't be read, so no need to beat that drum again. I wasnt at the game yesterday and wanted an idea how the game went so I bought a paper to try to find out, knowing that they are not wholly accurate I thought I'd ask on here, a forum that is set up to discuss st mirren, and used a thread that is already ongoing about Goodwin rather than starting a new thread. I was hoping I'd get the views of a St Mirren fan, f**k knows why I thought this place would be the right place.

How about answering the question?

Read my post again you fcuking idiot I'm not having a go at you, I said I don't buy papers for that reason coz they write pish, I'm defending Goodwin coz papers, TV & ref's all jumping the band wagon, bit OTT.

Yesterday was pantomime , every time Goodwin got the ball he was booed , every time he was in a challenge the opposition player dived , dropped and rolled. St Johnstone players went over the top with their tackles against Jim Goodwin , and constant ly. Harassed the referee to get Goodwin sent off . May and Davidson should have both been sent off .Davidson for had two bookable tackles and should have been sent off for fouling and had several other fouls against Goodwin which the ref chose to ignore.

Goodwins been driven out of Scottish football , he is no use to us if he is targeted by referees.

I challenge the BBC to analyse the attention Jim Goodwin received yesterday , and the way that the referee constantly gave Goodwin no protection and pick on his every challange

the guy is a plastic hard man who delivers sneaky punches and batters young players. He is becoming a liability

Haven't seen him battering anyone Chris , saw a young player over reacting by holding a different part of his head from the part that had actually been hit , but McNamara has always been a cheat and a thug so he'll have passed on his "experience" to the youngsters !

Get over yourself.

It's a mans game and all players who play on the edge like Jim occasionally step over that line. This sort of shit goes on all the time at all levels of football - sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and you don't know what went on unseen before the incident. The Armstrong incident was a strong arm in the face and a red card offense but not the dangerous elbow that some people make out.

I've never seen Goodwin make the sort of cowardly dangerous tackles the likes of kid-on hard men like Black and Lasley regularly make from behind, or the over the ball leg breakers. Those two would take the long way around a 50-50 challenge with Jim.

I also don't think the incident was as bad as it was made out. However, what we perceive matters not a jot.

Opposition managers, fans and the media have chosen to turn it into "crime of the century". It suits opposition managers as it effectively renders us a man down. I'm sure several managers will have said in passing to refs pre-match, " I hope you're going to watch that thug Goodwin" or words to that effect.

The media will have stirred things up to create column inches in their papers and to stoke controversy during radio discussions.

I also like to see midfield enforcers living on the edge, but like it or not, Goodwin's reputation, whether fairly or unfairly earned, means that he just won't get away with anything now.

I might be wrong, but Goodwin's career in Scottish football could effectively be over, due to the OTT way the incident has been highlighted by the aforementioned parties. Some of the culprits should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh and you're correct about Lasley. How that wee runt gets away with it I'll never know. I once watched him v's 'Well and he committed 8 fouls during the game. Some of these fouls would have had Goodwin booked in the blink of an eye. Lasley wasn't even spoken to, other than one perfunctory, "Don't do that again" type comment from the ref.

Edited by FTOF

Haven't seen him battering anyone Chris , saw a young player over reacting by holding a different part of his head from the part that had actually been hit , but McNamara has always been a cheat and a thug so he'll have passed on his "experience" to the youngsters !

No doubt about McNamara, but we should be wise to these cunts. Anything JG had to offer us is now lost as the game has lost respect for him in a way it never did for Aber, John McCormack, Andy Millen and several others. JG is only a couple of steps away from being as much use to the club as Charnley ultimately became. We cant afford that again

Allan preston said during yesterdays commentary that Jim Goodwin was unlucky to get booked & his foul on may was retaliation for a previous one by may on him.

Probably the fact that the ref noticed that too that got him booked ! Thats said, preston commented that Goodwin went on to commit two fouls within the next five minutes & lennon should consider replacing him.

The problem seems to be whenever Jimbo feels aggrieved he wants to exact his own justice . He needs to screw the nut. Deep breaths, count to ten !!

Read my post again you fcuking idiot I'm not having a go at you, I said I don't buy papers for that reason coz they write pish, I'm defending Goodwin coz papers, TV & ref's all jumping the band wagon, bit OTT.

I read your post a few times before responding, read it again and it still looks like you are having a go about the 'shite being said' about Goodwin and when it is in direct answer to my question it looks like you are having a go at something I have said about Goodwin, when all I have done is ask a question.

If I misunderstood your tone I apologise, no need for insults.

To be fair you said "pish about Goodwin" and suggested that the papers wrote things which were exaggerated about Jim Goodwin. From reading Ged62's post he was saying something similar to yourself but he posted "shit about Goodwin" instead of your "pish about Goodwin". I don't think he was a million miles away from what you said. That is just my personal opinion of course.

I said 'pish from tabloids' not 'pish about Goodwin' jeez.

Edited as I'd incorrectly quoted someone who incorrectly quoted me.

Edited by Hambud

Maybe you need reading glasses as when I hit the quote button, this website quotes your post for me so I can only "quote" what has been typed.  I hope this helps you mate.

your post at 1600 claims I said "pish about Goodwin" which I didn't say that according to the English language is you quoting me.

I have reading glasses on thanks, maybe you should learn that other than the quote function on this site it is also possible to quote people using the inadvertent commas, which you did.

The thing is, that if Goodwin had just stuck to the hard tackling we could be more vociferous in defending him.

However, the elbowing incident has effectively rendered null and void, any claims that Goodwin is a hard but fair player.

The club can defend him all they like, but the media, opposition managers and fans will deliberately bring up the unsavoury element to his game, which immediately overshadows any claims that he's not a dirty player.

including our own fans it seems, because it wasn't an elbow - it was his forearm and as billyg rightly posted, the wee fanny went down not knowing which part of his body to hold,obviously thinking "what could make this look the worst"

is that what you thought ? "if i type elbowing instead of forearm it will make it sound worse"

Edited by buddiecat

Allan preston said during yesterdays commentary that Jim Goodwin was unlucky to get booked & his foul on may was retaliation for a previous one by may on him.

Probably the fact that the ref noticed that too that got him booked ! Thats said, preston commented that Goodwin went on to commit two fouls within the next five minutes & lennon should consider replacing him.

The problem seems to be whenever Jimbo feels aggrieved he wants to exact his own justice . He needs to screw the nut. Deep breaths, count to ten !!

aye and alan preston is always correct and wouldnt be just another media twat who is jumping on the "bad goodwin" bandwagon, it is actually laughable that you base your opinion of jim goodwin on radio commentary