The Jim Goodwin Thread

The apologists here are absolutely cringeworthy. Our sitting midfielder shouldn't be making tackles? Ridiculous view fuelled by nothing but an absolute hatred of our captain. A certain element won't be happy till they've hounded Goodwin out of the club.

I've defended Jim Goodwin on many occasion and he's without doubt my favourite player

at the club right now, but I don't think there were many in the west stand that surprised

to see the red card appear after that tackle,

obviously the tv cameras prove otherwise, but to say peoples views are fuelled by absolute hatred

is way OTT, he's not every fans cup of tea, and I think (or hope) most see his worth to the team, but

maybe they would like him to rein it in a bit sometimes....

fans can only say what they see, and at the time I seen a clumsy, reckless challenge that had

a red card written all over it any day of the week,,,,,

He was committed to the tackle! This is real life!

You must have watched too many episodes of the roadrunner where he would fall off a cliff but stop two feet from the ground after applying the air brakes!!!!

Aye I know that and I wouldn't expect anything less from him. He would run through a brick wall for the team.

It is never a red card but opposition players are using these kind of situations against Jim. They are going to make the most with anything involving him.

fans can only say what they see, and at the time I seen a clumsy, reckless challenge that had

obviously the tv cameras prove otherwise,

So you've convinced yourself you've seen Goodwin make a straight red violent conduct challenge but concede after seeing it on TV it was nothing of the sort ?

You are not saying what you see... you are saying what you've decided you've seen given his reputation

So you've convinced yourself you've seen Goodwin make a straight red violent conduct challenge but concede after seeing it on TV it was nothing of the sort ?

You are not saying what you see... you are saying what you've decided you've seen given his reputation

No, what I'm saying is, regardless of whoever made that challenge it looked clumsy and reckless..

put it this way,.. It didn't seem there were too many complaints coming from the west stand were I

was sitting, and the ref seen it from the same angle..

maybe if wee had instant replays from different angles, the west stand would have been going aff

their nuts the same way the fans near the hibs dugout were....

Ps.. edited to add

there's not many folk on here that defends Jim as much as I do , just go back 2 pages

on this thread to see what I mean, but as I said sometimes you've just got to say it

as you see it....

Edited by scrappy coco

I was in the main stand near the dugouts, my gut reaction was that it wasn't a red card in itself, thought there was a bit of verbal though that may have 'influenced; the ref who was looking pretty angry at big Jum.

I was in the main stand near the dugouts, my gut reaction was that it wasn't a red card in itself, thought there was a bit of verbal though that may have 'influenced; the ref who was looking pretty angry at big Jum.

The ref didn't like Jim giving him advice when their Thomson bloodied Gowser.

I believe the referee thought he saw a two footed tackle from Goodwin on Thomson.

Of course, we are told when we don't get something that "referees have to see it to give it".

Thomson raised his left leg to make contact with Goodwin to draw the foul.

Thomson has a history of doing this and it worked for him against a referee who was having a bad day.

Thomson was in a strop after 13 secs of the game as it was his job to look after Kenny McKean.

Of course, we are told when we don't get something that "referees have to see it to give it".

That's where I have a problem....sometimes an elbow is missed or a clear handball missed as the referee/assistant simply doesn't have the right angle and players are in between. Bad luck if it goes against you and we grumble about positioning but accept you can't see everything.

But yes that's what we're always told ...refs can only give a penalty if they actually see the handball incident..are sure, otherwise guessing can bring a mistake. Same with holds and contact in the box.

Here we have a straight red card given very early in a vital game which could have huge implications which left Saints to play an hour of that game against a main rival and deprives them of their captain for possibly 3 further games...although surely sense will prevail.

....and yet that decision is something the referee clearly did not see and couldn't possibly be 100% sure because as the footage shows it didn't happen ! He made a really poor guess at what he thought had happened and got caught out being wrong this time.

Jeez...What next for Goodwin, order him off in the tunnel before leading the team out because he has a bit of a wild look in his eye.

Definitely wasn't a red card.

But I just don't understand why Jim Goodwin would dive into a challenge in that area of the pitch when the opponent was already on the ground. It was idiotic and put his team under a lot of pressure for the remaining hour of the game. The worst bit about it was I thought Goodwin was playing well before it happened.

As far as an appeal goes, it would be justified but I would just forget about it. Last thing we need would be Goodwin playing under the pressure of a magnifying glass again. And in a ground where the last time he played he blatantly stopped a shot with his hand. Recipe for disaster.

Newton's a wee bit lightweight in there but he would be my choice.

I've defended Jim Goodwin on many occasion and he's without doubt my favourite player

at the club right now, but I don't think there were many in the west stand that surprised

to see the red card appear after that tackle,

obviously the tv cameras prove otherwise, but to say peoples views are fuelled by absolute hatred

is way OTT, he's not every fans cup of tea, and I think (or hope) most see his worth to the team, but

maybe they would like him to rein it in a bit sometimes....

A quick read through this thread is enough to dispell that myth.

Jim plays and every challenege he makes is a red card according to the boo boys and he's a liability. He doesn't play and he's a liability because he's not playing and it's all his fault.

To suggest there isn't an irrational hatred of Goodwin by an element of our support is pretty silly.

Unfortunately for Jim Goodwin, and for us, he'd be better off playing outside of Scotland now. He'll never get a fair chance with referees in this country ever again. Every tackle he makes that others would get away with, he gets a yellow card. Every 'yellow card' challenge he makes is likely to be a red card. There are challenges made in other games in Scotland, and all over the world that are nothing more than a free kick, but when it's Jim he picks up a yellow card. It's a joke how he gets treated, but I can't see it changing.

A quick read through this thread is enough to dispell that myth.

Jim plays and every challenege he makes is a red card according to the boo boys and he's a liability. He doesn't play and he's a liability because he's not playing and it's all his fault.

To suggest there isn't an irrational hatred of Goodwin by an element of our support is pretty silly.

Absolute and/or irrational hatred, very strong words don't you think,

Is that the same feelings fans have got or had for the likes of Cheesy, Mclean, Teale or Potter to

name but a few, or are they feelings exclusively reserved for big Jim..

As I've said he's not every fans cup of tea, maybe they just don't think he's good enough or see him

as a liability, but using words like that tells me you think it's more sinister and personal than fans saying

they just don't like him as a player..

FWIW, he's my top player at the club and should be the first name on the teamsheet every week, but if

there's any fans out there sitting in the west stand who didn't think at the time it was a clumsy and reckless

tackle that could have resulted in a red card please step forward....

Absolute and/or irrational hatred, very strong words don't you think,

Is that the same feelings fans have got or had for the likes of Cheesy, Mclean, Teale or Potter to

name but a few, or are they feelings exclusively reserved for big Jim..

As I've said he's not every fans cup of tea, maybe they just don't think he's good enough or see him

as a liability, but using words like that tells me you think it's more sinister and personal than fans saying

they just don't like him as a player..

FWIW, he's my top player at the club and should be the first name on the teamsheet every week, but if

there's any fans out there sitting in the west stand who didn't think at the time it was a clumsy and reckless

tackle that could have resulted in a red card please step forward....

Jim could win us the Scottish Cup by firing the ball out of his arse and an element of fans will got tore into him for absolutely no reason.

We've had ridiculous comments on here baout how he shouldn't be making tackles, Saturday was his own fault, he was stupid, despite TV evidence shgowing that it would have been harsh to call it a foul let alone a red card.

Like I said, some have an absolute irrational hatred of Goodwin and I stand by that.

I sit in the west stand and didn't see it well enough to truly comment at the time, however the reaction of the fans closest to it in the main stand and the lack of outrage by hibs players told me what I needed to know and was proved right. If it was Jim that had elbowed and drawn blood from a hibs player he would have been red carded and prob fookin arrested.

Definitely wasn't a red card.

But I just don't understand why Jim Goodwin would dive into a challenge in that area of the pitch when the opponent was already on the ground. It was idiotic and put his team under a lot of pressure for the remaining hour of the game. The worst bit about it was I thought Goodwin was playing well before it happened.

As far as an appeal goes, it would be justified but I would just forget about it. Last thing we need would be Goodwin playing under the pressure of a magnifying glass again. And in a ground where the last time he played he blatantly stopped a shot with his hand. Recipe for disaster.

Newton's a wee bit lightweight in there but he would be my choice.

Why, after conceding it was never a red card, do you feel it is right to then proceed to have a go at Goodwin for something that clearly wasn't a red card?

I struggle to understand the logic of certain posts. Yours is one of them.

As well as the injustice of wrongly being reduced to 10 men for 65 minutes of the game, we are facing the injustice of wrongly having Goodwin suspended for half of the remaining critical games.

The referee wasn't that close to the incident. He glances at Thomson doing the dying swan act and flashes the red card with no discussion / consultation with the linesman who was nearer.

The reactions of those nearby tell you everything. Hibs are happy they have a free kick for McLean's foul - end of story. The main stand crowd are outraged at the decision. Goodwin is seen telling the 4th official "I didn't touch him".

As well as the injustice of wrongly being reduced to 10 men for 65 minutes of the game, we are facing the injustice of wrongly having Goodwin suspended for half of the remaining critical games.

The referee wasn't that close to the incident. He glances at Thomson doing the dying swan act and flashes the red card with no discussion / consultation with the linesman who was nearer.

The reactions of those nearby tell you everything. Hibs are happy they have a free kick for McLean's foul - end of story. The main stand crowd are outraged at the decision. Goodwin is seen telling the 4th official "I didn't touch him".

this post sums it up perfectly!

Also the play off battle might come down to goal difference. Who knows how many we could have scored with 11 men still on the park.

I can see why people in the West stand thought it was a bad tackle, no chance of getting a proper view of it from there. All you seen was Goodwin dive in and Thomson rolling about like a bitch. It also takes a couple of different camera angles to clear it up. Fact is Thomson made a meal of it and the ref bought it.

If the club do appeal it, it will come down to whether or not there Jim went in too hard regardless if he touched the man or not. I'd be very surprised if this is over turned but obviously hoping it is.

Edited to add the club are appealing it. Really hope it goes in our favour.

Edited by Sergie's no1 fan

TBH, if he had consulted that incompetent clown,he'd probably have given Goodwin two red cards.dry.png