The Jim Goodwin Thread

If the ref had given the red based on intent I could see his point. Looked like Jim was thinking about doing him after the McGowan elbow incident then thought twice half way through sliding in. Why else would you tackle like that!

Having said that the ref gave it for serious foul play which is a joke since he missed him!

If the ref had given the red based on intent I could see his point. Looked like Jim was thinking about doing him after the McGowan elbow incident then thought twice half way through sliding in. Why else would you tackle like that!

Having said that the ref gave it for serious foul play which is a joke since he missed him!

Think McGowan can fight his own battles. You only have to ask the Polis.whistling.gif

I said earlier on in the thread that JG would have to be more circumspect as long as he was Public Enemy No. 1.

Another player would likely not have got a red for that challenge but if our grounds for appeal are the degree of contact made and Thomson making a meal of it I don't see us being successful - hope I'm wrong as we need to be able to field our strongest team in the remaining four matches.

As well as the injustice of wrongly being reduced to 10 men for 65 minutes of the game, we are facing the injustice of wrongly having Goodwin suspended for half of the remaining critical games.

The referee wasn't that close to the incident. He glances at Thomson doing the dying swan act and flashes the red card with no discussion / consultation with the linesman who was nearer.

The reactions of those nearby tell you everything. Hibs are happy they have a free kick for McLean's foul - end of story. The main stand crowd are outraged at the decision. Goodwin is seen telling the 4th official "I didn't touch him".

Interesting, if not helpful, but some media sources comment that Clancy has rarely impressed in any of his games, in other words, he's a shit ref, but IMO you know what, the brotherhood will stand by Clancy and let St Mirren and bad boy Goodwin suffer and uphold his red card.

I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised though, imagine our appeal is successful, wow, as pleasing as our last two results, so who knows.

The second injustice is that between the elbow to McGowan's face, feigning injury to get an opponent sent off, and not receiving a 2nd yellow later in the game, Hibs really should be without Kevin Thomson for a few games of their run and the media seem quite happy to cover all that side of it up.

Based on his, and Tudor-Jones performances, i want Thomson to play every game for hibs in the next few weeks.

Why, after conceding it was never a red card, do you feel it is right to then proceed to have a go at Goodwin for something that clearly wasn't a red card?

I struggle to understand the logic of certain posts. Yours is one of them.

Jim has enough experience that he should know better.

It was a stupid challenge, the player was the ground midway inside his own half. With the team already 2 goals up, even if he won the ball cleanly there was little to be gained. Jim was simply asking for trouble, which he duly got.

His stupidity put his team under pressure for an hour of the game in which we were cruising. One more goal and we would have finished Saturday a place higher up the league.....

Jim has enough experience that he should know better.

It was a stupid challenge, the player was the ground midway inside his own half. With the team already 2 goals up, even if he won the ball cleanly there was little to be gained. Jim was simply asking for trouble, which he duly got.

His stupidity put his team under pressure for an hour of the game in which we were cruising. One more goal and we would have finished Saturday a place higher up the league.....

Edited, see #774.

Edited by faraway saint

Great post, although so full of nonsense its hard to see where to start other than you obviously have run out of negative posts about Danny Lennon so Goodwin is next on the list.

You have to laugh. lol.gif

Good incisive and well thought through reply.

But I think you may have me confused with someone else.....

I'm glad it made you smile though!

Why has he gone in like that......there was intent...shouldn't be making rash challenges...blahh blahh blahhh. Goodwin goes to leather the ball up or out the park and Thomson stretches to get a toe to it meaning he takes a big fresh air whiff as he passes Thomson.

He wasn't even planning on being near Thomson he's playing the ball and it's clear from every single frame that's where his eyes are focussed...back foot catches up on Thomson as he passes in front and then we have the shameful rolling around.
It can't be clearer.

Why has he gone in like that......there was intent...shouldn't be making rash challenges...blahh blahh blahhh. Goodwin goes to leather the ball up or out the park and Thomson stretches to get a toe to it meaning he takes a big fresh air whiff as he passes Thomson.

He wasn't even planning on being near Thomson he's playing the ball and it's clear from every single frame that's where his eyes are focussed...back foot catches up on Thomson as he passes in front and then we have the shameful rolling around.

It can't be clearer.

Whys Goodwin trying to leather the ball anywhere? We were 2-0 and cruising and the incident happened in the least threatening area of the pitch. Stupidity from a player already in the limelight for his disciplinary issues

That's where I have a problem....sometimes an elbow is missed or a clear handball missed as the referee/assistant simply doesn't have the right angle and players are in between. Bad luck if it goes against you and we grumble about positioning but accept you can't see everything.

But yes that's what we're always told ...refs can only give a penalty if they actually see the handball incident..are sure, otherwise guessing can bring a mistake. Same with holds and contact in the box.

Here we have a straight red card given very early in a vital game which could have huge implications which left Saints to play an hour of that game against a main rival and deprives them of their captain for possibly 3 further games...although surely sense will prevail.

....and yet that decision is something the referee clearly did not see and couldn't possibly be 100% sure because as the footage shows it didn't happen ! He made a really poor guess at what he thought had happened and got caught out being wrong this time.

Jeez...What next for Goodwin, order him off in the tunnel before leading the team out because he has a bit of a wild look in his eye.

Kevin Clancy was also the ref up at Inverness on the first day of the season when he guessed that Van Zanten had handled the ball, at point blank range, on the ref's blindside as he slid out to block a shot.

Is this a new trait that they look for in 'up and coming' refs, the ability to guess what has happened?

Have we ever appealed before and won? I don't think that this will be overturned. They always back the referee when ever possible. There is enough doubt for this appeal to be turned down.

Yes we have. A few years ago John Sutton (I think) was sent off and the ref's report said it was something like elbowing the opposition player - tv pictures clearly showed there was no elbow and even though Sutton had fouled their player the ref had got it wrong in his match report and the red card was rescinded.

It's the same as this, Jim was sent off for 'serious foul play and a two footed lunge' which tv pictures clearly show was not the case - the ref got it wrong.

The club have done the right thing in appealing. Sadly, I have little faith in the authorities doing the right thing. I'd put the chances of the decision being overturned at about 20%, but the club have backed JG, and that was important.

No chance of the appeal being upheld. It's a reckless challenge. He's off the ground, no control, and hes gone in with both feet. Even without contact that's a straight red.

I've just seen it, seconds ago.

He doesn't go in with both feet - unless, you are being very picky, in that he still had two feet attached to his body at the time.

A foul, aye... But the ref was over zealous.

No chance of the appeal being upheld. It's a reckless challenge. He's off the ground, no control, and hes gone in with both feet. Even without contact that's a straight red.

There speaks the voice of knowing f**k all about football.

I can just hear you know swearing your head off at the youngsters playing 'Yoof' football.

It's quite clear Danny has had enough of this pish too. He's hitting out at teams going into games with tactics of getting Goodwin in trouble. Well done Danny on this occasion.

I actually think that Goodwin would have a very good case for quitting the game then suing the arses of McNamara, Adams, The SFA and the press for denying him a living with this witch hunt.

And still there's been no mention in any of the press of Thomson's deliberate elbow on McGowan.

Let's get right behind Jim on Friday night show him he still has our backing (well some of us by the looks of it). it's squeaky arse time - every player in black and white gets 100% backing from me - let's concentrate on avoiding the play offs :-)

I'M EXCITED!!!!

Let's get right behind Jim on Friday night show him he still has our backing (well some of us by the looks of it). it's squeaky arse time - every player in black and white gets 100% backing from me - let's concentrate on avoiding the play offs :-)

I'M EXCITED!!!!

Never going to happen.

It's a reckless challenge. He's off the ground, no control, and hes gone in with both feet. Even without contact that's a straight red.

Thought that myself at first......however if you look at the replays it's not really true.

The challenge is clearly one footed and his leading foot is nowhere near Thomson. Given that, it's hard to claim Goodwin has no control or that the challenge is reckless. I personally still think it was a bit stupid, and as Pat Nevin claimed on Sportscene "hopeless but not reckless". Absolutely not a red card.

Bl1by6QCAAEImf8.jpg

Bl1cMvJCQAA7aIi.jpg

Given the above and the poor position of the referee, who was miles away at the time of the challenge, ther must be a reasonable chance of it being overturned.

Not sure what to make of Thomson's opinion except he is clearly lying to cover up his own ridiculous histrionics. Just makes him look stupid.

Thomson felt differently, believing the referee had made the correct decision: "I thought it was a poor tackle from Jim. I got there first and you could hear it back in Edinburgh - he clattered my shin pads. I thought it was quite nasty, to be honest."

ETA. Finally managed it......

Edited by ds10