The Jim Goodwin Thread

Campbell Money in The Times today saying Goodwin maybe needs to be cuter

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/cute-force-is-the-solution-to-salvage-goodwin-reputation-148977n.23222652?
"But for me Abercromby was that wee bit cuter and if something needed done he tended to make sure it went unseen."

Not really the answer with several camera angles available for most games these days...Aber didn't have a highlights package of every game.

The media need Sevco.

Murdo MacLeod spouting drivel to Richard Keys on TalkSport last week, misleading the nation, like the simpleton that he is.

Keys started it, but at least he's got an excuse for being wildly out of touch.

Keys: I was looking at that SPL table, and I'm wondering how many of these clubs are thinking, 'what have we done here?'

laugh.png Not (m)any, you clueless bastard.

However, Murdo agreed, and then trotted out all the ills of the game, most of which were happening before Rangers went bust anyway, and were nothing whatsoever do with them being in the diddy leagues.

Only the media and a faction of the Celtic support are missing them. I'd suggest that only the mislead and deluded think that anyone else is.

Shouldn't Danny be going down the route of 'We are playing against twelve man every week' and put some pressure on the referees to make the right decisions and not the media inspired decisions. Alex Ferguson was good at that, referees always bottled giving anything against Man U because of the scrutiny they were under to make the right decision.

I think highlighting challenges which result in bookings for Goodwin and those which don't for the opposition are appropriate.

To begin with I was happy for the club to maintain some dignity by not responding to tripe trotted out by opposition managers and the media, but it is becoming ridiculous. It has gotten to the point where referees feel they must book Goodwin for anything to avoid being chastised by our biased media and managers. Perhaps if the club add pressure from our end of thing too then the referee will simply go out and referee the game and not worry about what will happen if he fails to book Jim.

I don't do Facebook, but I'm assuming the absence of St Mirren supporters is resulting in a less than favourable response in terms of our Jim.

To be brutally frank, I'd be disinclined to dignify such petty social media based tittle-tattle with a response in any event.

As a club we should be defending our players in public. Our chairman and bod, who historically and quite rightly rarely comment on football matters, should, on this occasion be more vocal in their defence of the club captain. As someone said earlier Fergie was a master at his craft where these things were concerned. When Danny was quoted as saying Goodwin brings some of it on himself he was making Jims position worse. He should keep those opinions behind closed doors. Jim Goodwin is the captain of St Mirren football club. An honour bestowed upon very few and treasured by Goodwin himself which was evident when he was interviewed after the cup final. Ok he's a big boy but he does deserve protection by the club. The media and all of Scottish football should be told in no uncertain terms that you pick on one of ours at your peril.

As a club we should be defending our players in public. Our chairman and bod, who historically and quite rightly rarely comment on football matters, should, on this occasion be more vocal in their defence of the club captain. As someone said earlier Fergie was a master at his craft where these things were concerned. When Danny was quoted as saying Goodwin brings some of it on himself he was making Jims position worse. He should keep those opinions behind closed doors. Jim Goodwin is the captain of St Mirren football club. An honour bestowed upon very few and treasured by Goodwin himself which was evident when he was interviewed after the cup final. Ok he's a big boy but he does deserve protection by the club. The media and all of Scottish football should be told in no uncertain terms that you pick on one of ours at your peril.

Unfortunately we have a history of allowing ourselves to be bullied without retaliating. Think back to John Brown and Dundee at the end of last season . I have tended to think we should be above that sort of thing but unfortunately the world isn't like that . Fergie showed that bullying can get results . We have to stop being so nice . We never seem to get a victory without getting a mouthful of abuse from the opposition . We should learn and start laying in before others lay into us. Dare I say it , Gus would not have tolerated the abuse we get .

Not sure if there's anything going on off the park, none of my business if there is but the day of the United game he apparently came in in a right c**t of a mood. A mood that was unusual and aggressive and was noticed by a few. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed possibly.

Goodwin was brilliant yesterday, If that Goody turns up most weeks then he's the first name on the starting sheet.

Edited by davidg

Agree, just a shame it seems to have become a habit to continually abuse him in the family stand...

I sit there also, haven't heard that but could be a different section.

Did hear some boos after he hit his free kick well over the bar though. They came from the corner of the West Stand.

He definitely shouldn't have taken that free kick! I go with my children and one asked me where the St Mirren fans were sitting, due to the constant moaning and shouting (mostly at Goodwin, despite having a good game). I don't understand people that pay to go to a game and from the start are absolutely miserable... Why bother? Even when a player does something right, these 'fans' don't applaud, they just sit - no encouragement for tackles, winning corners (we're sitting right behind the goal- why not cheer your team?)... Wylde got it too- men leaping to their feet to swear and berate his crossing- it's his first game and I thought he showed enough in patches for us to feel optimistic.... It's hardly the worst St Mirren team in history, we've got some great players but I think they're nervous at home games maybe in part due to the way some fans are on their backs. Family stand fans please get behind the team!!

Unfortunately we have a history of allowing ourselves to be bullied without retaliating. Think back to John Brown and Dundee at the end of last season . I have tended to think we should be above that sort of thing but unfortunately the world isn't like that . Fergie showed that bullying can get results . We have to stop being so nice . We never seem to get a victory without getting a mouthful of abuse from the opposition . We should learn and start laying in before others lay into us. Dare I say it , Gus would not have tolerated the abuse we get .

I hope the compliance office picks up on this little bit from the Sunday Mail (can't see it on the online edition to link to it)

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair was involved in a late incident when he went down under a challenge from St Mirren's Jim Goodwin. However, the jags full back said 'He nudged me but I have got to be a bit stronger. There was nothing in it and I was trying to get the foul. It was nothing to do with him. He has had a lot of bad press but it was just one of those things.'

That is surely an admission that he took a dive to try and win a free kick and since the ref didn;t nook him at the time he must surely be brought up on a charge of simulation.

I sit there also, haven't heard that but could be a different section.

Did hear some boos after he hit his free kick well over the bar though. They came from the corner of the West Stand.

He should be kept as far as possible away from free kicks like that. Dont we have anyone in the team who can strike a dead ball ?