The Jim Goodwin Thread

Interesting to note the positions of the two teams whose managers were so very vocal about Jim Goodwin

.http://espnfc.com/stats/fairplay/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

County are rock bottom while united have got THREE TIMES as many red cards as us.

What about the manager who started the Goodwin witchunt?

Allan Johnstone made the first such comment way back in September when he asked why Goodwin was still on the park while Boyd was sent off.

Same tactics as Adams and McNamara - deflect attention from the thuggish behaviour of their own players

Thought it was ironic that a Thistle player got booked for fouling the ghost on Saturday - made me smile!!thumbup2.gif

Edited by Danny

I think highlighting challenges which result in bookings for Goodwin and those which don't for the opposition are inappropriate.

Fixed it fort you mate...

Also, this quote from the Hugh Keevins Goodwin article above. I didn't know this!

"And the cautions which have followed the Irishman’s return to the team after suspension have provoked internal dismay at St Mirren.

Enough to put Danny Lennon, (below) in an office at Hampden with the SFA’s head of referees, John Fleming, for talks on Thursday".

Fixed it fort you mate...

Also, this quote from the Hugh Keevins Goodwin article above. I didn't know this!

"And the cautions which have followed the Irishmans return to the team after suspension have provoked internal dismay at St Mirren.

Enough to put Danny Lennon, (below) in an office at Hampden with the SFAs head of referees, John Fleming, for talks on Thursday".

Yeah I read that as well. Good to hear of Danny and the club doing something behind the scenes.

Yeah I read that as well. Good to hear of Danny and the club doing something behind the scenes.

That's exactly it as well. BEHIND THE SCENES. Good to see our club retaining class throughout by taking the relevant avenues without screaming and bawling in the media. We're great.

Watching Alba and Goodwin gets an unjust booking.Wasn't even a foul,never mind a yellow

Couldn't believe that one (although in a certain way I could). There really does seem to be a witch-hunt these days against the man. Think we should take the Celtic course of action & say that Jim Goodwin is being hounded out the Scottish game because he's Irish? whistling.gif

I spoke tothe referee supervisor for the hibs game yesterday, he told me that his half-time advice to Colum was that he should have booked Goodwin in the first half for a crunching tackle and that he should be looking for the next bad foul to get him ," if you are going to book him make sure it is an eye-catching foul". Colum then books goodwin for an innoccuous challenge

Bottom line is that you can't win. Referrees progress by following the advice from the supervisors and observers, unfortunately these guys are all tools.

I spoke tothe referee supervisor for the hibs game yesterday, he told me that his half-time advice to Colum was that he should have booked Goodwin in the first half for a crunching tackle and that he should be looking for the next bad foul to get him ," if you are going to book him make sure it is an eye-catching foul".  Colum then books goodwin for an innoccuous challenge

Bottom line is that you can't win.  Referrees progress by following the advice from the supervisors and observers, unfortunately these guys are all tools.

If that's true it's scandalous and both ref and supervisor should be reported.

I spoke tothe referee supervisor for the hibs game yesterday, he told me that his half-time advice to Colum was that he should have booked Goodwin in the first half for a crunching tackle and that he should be looking for the next bad foul to get him ," if you are going to book him make sure it is an eye-catching foul". Colum then books goodwin for an innoccuous challenge

Bottom line is that you can't win. Referrees progress by following the advice from the supervisors and observers, unfortunately these guys are all tools.

I think it's a disgrace too. Despite their shortcomings I think a lot of referees try hard to get it right all the time quite often in difficult situations. If he realises he has boobed and it's too late to change the decision, giving a team a wrong decision to square the books is damnable. Jim's a marked man, but he has brought a lot of it on himself. Oh,sorry, we're not supposed to say that.

Anyone care to claim that Goodwin isn't being targeted now? That farce from Mackay Steven highlights the tactics virtually every team goes into games with. Pretend Goodwin has hit me and hopefully he will get booked/sent off. Pathetic.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

Anyone care to claim that Goodwin isn't being targeted now? That farce from Mackay Steven highlights the tactics virtually every team goes into games with. Pretend Goodwin has hit me and hopefully he will get booked/sent off. Pathetic.

Fair play to Goodie for showing the little turd up and not reacting as I would have by showing him what a real punch would have felt like!

I'd much rather focus on the shadow of a player he's become in the glare of all this media attention. Really poor display from him today. He seems frightened to put a challenge in and when the inevitable booking came it was for shirt tugging.

FFS Jim, get your finger out.

Unfortunately Jim is a marked man with the opposition falling about all over the place within 2 feet of him. I do not think Jim is in a position to dive in to any tackle and thought he tackled pretty well today. It was just his final pass was a bit poor but there were many in the team ahead of him with that honour.

Armstrong did a similar thing in the first half. On both occasions, Thomson saw it and indicated that nothing had happened. Why weren't the players even spoken to or booked?

Then there was the incident when Goodwin cleanly won the ball on the touchline in the first half and their left back Robertson (who had already been booked) squared up to him. What did the ref do....spoke to Goodwin at the first opportunity. I think it was on the 4th official's say so but beggars belief that Robertson wasn't talked to.

He's a marked man and Djemba Djemba will be as well soon. Spoken to yesterday after 2 fouls and booked for persistent fouling after committing 4 (maybe 5) fouls? I'd bet that the likes of GMS & Ciftci committed a similar number without even being spoken to.

Armstrong did a similar thing in the first half. On both occasions, Thomson saw it and indicated that nothing had happened. Why weren't the players even spoken to or booked?

Then there was the incident when Goodwin cleanly won the ball on the touchline in the first half and their left back Robertson (who had already been booked) squared up to him. What did the ref do....spoke to Goodwin at the first opportunity. I think it was on the 4th official's say so but beggars belief that Robertson wasn't talked to.

He's a marked man and Djemba Djemba will be as well soon. Spoken to yesterday after 2 fouls and booked for persistent fouling after committing 4 (maybe 5) fouls? I'd bet that the likes of GMS & Ciftci committed a similar number without even being spoken to.

I don't think we can complain about Djemba Djemba's booking, he committed more than a few fouls and could have been more harshly dealt with earlier.

Edited by WeeBud

I don't think we can complain about Djemba Djemba's booking, he committed more than a few fouls and could have been more harshly dealt with earlier.

I agree that he committed a few fouls but the point is that he was on the ref's radar from the start in a way that other players weren't.

The point at which he was carded, though, didn't even look like a foul to me, but hey ho.

The point at which he was carded, though, didn't even look like a foul to me, but hey ho.

I agree with that, that particular one seemed pretty innocuous....the one he got away with on Armstrong tough was a yellow in itself.

Edited by WeeBud