The Jim Goodwin Thread

Thought that myself at first......however if you look at the replays it's not really true.

The challenge is clearly one footed and his leading foot is nowhere near Thomson. Given that, it's hard to claim Goodwin has no control or that the challenge is reckless. I personally still think it was a bit stupid, and as Pat Nevin claimed on Sportscene "hopeless but not reckless". Absolutely not a red card.

Given the above and the poor position of the referee, who was miles away at the time of the challenge, ther must be a reasonable chance of it being overturned.

Not sure what to make of Thomson's opinion except he is clearly lying to cover up his own ridiculous histrionics. Just makes him look stupid.

Thomson felt differently, believing the referee had made the correct decision: "I thought it was a poor tackle from Jim. I got there first and you could hear it back in Edinburgh - he clattered my shin pads. I thought it was quite nasty, to be honest."

The only thing they could hear back in Edinburgh was Thomson screaming like a big lassie. His previous conduct on these matters has been appalling but yet again no mention of that. Whether or not Jims tackle was over enthusiastic or not is not the point. The appeal should centre around solely the rules of the game. The incident is no longer open to interpretation and must be deemed as a yellow at worst. There can be no other outcome other than a rescinding of the red card. The appeal process will really be a laughing stock if the red card is upheld.

ETA. Have a couple of screenshots to back this up, but don't know how to add into post. Any ideas?

Never going to happen.

Aye it will - Friday night will be magic and any boo boys will be well drowned out! As I said the other week on here somewhere - during the game - 100% to anyone in black and white - if you wanna moan do it after!

Thought that myself at first......however if you look at the replays it's not really true.

The challenge is clearly one footed and his leading foot is nowhere near Thomson. Given that, it's hard to claim Goodwin has no control or that the challenge is reckless. I personally still think it was a bit stupid, and as Pat Nevin claimed on Sportscene "hopeless but not reckless". Absolutely not a red card.

Given the above and the poor position of the referee, who was miles away at the time of the challenge, ther must be a reasonable chance of it being overturned.

Not sure what to make of Thomson's opinion except he is clearly lying to cover up his own ridiculous histrionics. Just makes him look stupid.

Thomson felt differently, believing the referee had made the correct decision: "I thought it was a poor tackle from Jim. I got there first and you could hear it back in Edinburgh - he clattered my shin pads. I thought it was quite nasty, to be honest."

ETA. Have a couple of screenshots to back this up, but don't know how to add into post. Any ideas?

I've not saw a paper since Saturday - 'nasty' seriously he said that - what an utter F*dC**t now those who know me know how MUCH I hate the C word but Tam McGarry has used this word a few times and to be fair it suits!!!

just looking through the thread of the game on PieandBovril - not been on there in ages! Nice to see fans of other clubs clearly not there commenting on the challenge but especially nice to see one of our own say it was a disgusting challenge and call Jim a grade A moron - what chance has the guy got if that's coming from his own support :-(

just looking through the thread of the game on PieandBovril - not been on there in ages! Nice to see fans of other clubs clearly not there commenting on the challenge but especially nice to see one of our own say it was a disgusting challenge and call Jim a grade A moron - what chance has the guy got if that's coming from his own support :-(

Indeed.

Some nice supporters we have eh? thumbdown.gif

Yes we have. A few years ago John Sutton (I think) was sent off and the ref's report said it was something like elbowing the opposition player - tv pictures clearly showed there was no elbow and even though Sutton had fouled their player the ref had got it wrong in his match report and the red card was rescinded.

It's the same as this, Jim was sent off for 'serious foul play and a two footed lunge' which tv pictures clearly show was not the case - the ref got it wrong.

Sutton was sent off after a clash of heads with Jim Thompson of Queen of the South in a Boxing Day match at Palmerston, resulting in a laceration on Thompson's eyebrow and one on Sutton's temple.No foul was committed. I know this because the QoS doctor was absent that day having spent Christmas with his family, and I stitched up both wounds. Jim Thompson did not sugest that any foul had occurred.

My recollection is that the ref sent Sutton off after provocation by some Queens' players including the goalkeeper who ran outside the penalty box to make his point.

Aye it will - Friday night will be magic and any boo boys will be well drowned out! As I said the other week on here somewhere - during the game - 100% to anyone in black and white - if you wanna moan do it after!

I've not saw a paper since Saturday - 'nasty' seriously he said that - what an utter F*dC**t now those who know me know how MUCH I hate the C word but Tam McGarry has used this word a few times and to be fair it suits!!!

Tom McGarry swearing surely not

Aye and a dirty one at that , he has a history with fouling our players when he was a sevco , getting sent off for one in that game and he once kicked Hugh Murray in the head at LS. .he only got a yellow for that but so did Hugh and Mehmetino. .

Very little being said about Thomson's part in this. Not content with the huge advantage that he and his team were so inept at using for an hour he's then spouting stuff about hearing clattering of shinpads and what a bad one it was. Has he looked at the footage showing the only leg swung with any force whizzing past 2 feet in front of him making no contact what so ever never mind "clattering his shinpad".

Is he that much of a cheat or that stupid that he's going to stick to that to cover up his acting performance.....actually strike that..after wading through dozen upon dozen of Thomson cheat simualtion search results thrown up it appears he was caught fair and square before doing the same dying swan act attempting to get a penalty for Dead Rangers and denied that despite the evidence too.

Notice Richard Wilson of the BBC has added

"The late challenge, in the 29th minute, seemed to leave a bloody mark on Thomson's knee and it led referee Kevin Clancy to show Goodwin the red card."

post-1859-0-47420000-1398209285_thumb.jp

A nice clean left knee/leg...bit muddy the right one which he slid on to poke the ball away...but I suppose having a guess that there might be blood is no worse reporting than the ref having a guess at what has happened ...why bother with the truth eh?

and from behind

post-1859-0-55911600-1398209565_thumb.jp

Wow not only is he aiming up a boot at the ball which is there directly in front of him and not 10 yards down the pitch seconds late, as some will have you believe, but how on earth has he managed to hook his leg round 3 feet to the left to catch Thomson's left knee (it was the left knee he was rolling about holding after all) ...the man should be making a packet in Cirque du Soleil or something as a contorsionist or an illusion act.

The only intent here was making a decent play on a ball sitting there to be won ...same clowns would be castigating others they don't like for being second to everything.

Edited by WirralSaint

what if Jim had gone done squealing and greeting and writhing about and our two players close by had stood over Thomson pointing and threatning and accusing him? it was as much foul by Thomson on Jim s vice versa.

Thinking back to that cup final and Thomson's ridiculous tackle on?? cant quite remember who...now that WAS a deserved red card....should have cost his team the cup yet in an interview afterwards I remember he said "to be fair, the referee knows he has made a poor decision" when really he let himself and team mates down big style in an attempt to be a hard man.....he wasn't very hard last Saturday.

Edited by farmer john

The pictures above make it as clear as day that Goodwin was innocent.

Now, will the haters grt off Jim's back? I'll not hold my breath

I don't get this 'hate' thing that crops up frequently. What's to hate about Jim Goodwin unless you're unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of one of his wild tackles? Let's have a wee confession session and let's hear from any genuine St.Mirren supporter if he or she actually hates JIm. I can't imagine there's one. Jim has contributed to his reputation without a shadow of a doubt and has deserved a fair number of the bookings and orderings off he has received. Last Saturday's was a nonsense. Refs don't pick on players for no reason but I certainly agree that some players seem to get away with it more than others.

Jim has been great for us but without question he has lost us points over the last two or three years when we needed every single point we could get big style.

Jim has enough experience that he should know better.

It was a stupid challenge, the player was the ground midway inside his own half. With the team already 2 goals up, even if he won the ball cleanly there was little to be gained. Jim was simply asking for trouble, which he duly got.

His stupidity put his team under pressure for an hour of the game in which we were cruising. One more goal and we would have finished Saturday a place higher up the league.....

He never fouled him - how is it a stupid challenge when he never fouled him, never touched him? I'm more concerned with the stupidity of fans who for some reason persist in going along with the media demonisation of Jim Goodwin.

We're supposed to be on his side here...

Whys Goodwin trying to leather the ball anywhere? We were 2-0 and cruising and the incident happened in the least threatening area of the pitch. Stupidity from a player already in the limelight for his disciplinary issues

How dare he leather the ball...straight red card offence...stupidity...

FFS...

Thomson shites out of the tackle and that's why he gets hurt. First thing you get told as a kid. Thomson isn't in control of the ball and he's left his leg in, before trying to pull it out. Not saying he shouldn't go for it, but he shouldn't cry like a f**king child when he gets caught.

I don't get this 'hate' thing that crops up frequently. What's to hate about Jim Goodwin unless you're unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of one of his wild tackles? Let's have a wee confession session and let's hear from any genuine St.Mirren supporter if he or she actually hates JIm. I can't imagine there's one. Jim has contributed to his reputation without a shadow of a doubt and has deserved a fair number of the bookings and orderings off he has received. Last Saturday's was a nonsense. Refs don't pick on players for no reason but I certainly agree that some players seem to get away with it more than others.

Jim has been great for us but without question he has lost us points over the last two or three years when we needed every single point we could get big style.

Well what do you call them then? You know, the one's that are constantly on his case?

Blamers, flamers, chastisers, tossers?

Edited by Vambo57

Well what do you call them then? You know, the one's that are constantly on his case?

Blamers, flamers, chastisers, tossers?

Although I'm not necessarily one of them, just maybe someone with a different opinion than yours!!