The Jim Goodwin Thread

It's all quite a good smoke screen for conveniently forgetting about KevinThomson's elbow on Paul McGowan,which was little different to the YouTube one that Dundee United fingered Jim Goodwin for.

aye that wasn't worth showing on the highlights cos McGowan just got on with it!

Modern football is over-sanitised pish and this only serves to invite play-acting wanks who roll about the ground as though they've been hit by a sniper's bullet at any opportunity.

It is one of the most sickening elements of the game nowadays, and those criticising Goodwin for trying to dispossess Thomson are colluding with it, I am afraid.

Trying to get your opponents sent off is actively seeking to kill off a match, hence ruining it as a spectacle for paying customers. I don't like being conned, and want to see a genuinely competitive game when I fork out my hard-earned. Jim Goodwin was committed to winning the ball, and Thomson is a snivelling rat who was trying to piss on my chips. These cocks should be drummed out of the game, not honest pros who are trying to play the game as it should be played.

John McGinn is an excellent example of a player who doesn't indulge in the play-acting nonsense, and instead channels all his effort and energy into his craft. Numerous other players - including a good few who have been around for a great deal longer such as Kevin Thomson - would do well to take a leaf out of the lad's book.

Modern football is over-sanitised pish and this only serves to invite play-acting wanks who roll about the ground as though they've been hit by a sniper's bullet at any opportunity.

It is one of the most sickening elements of the game nowadays, and those criticising Goodwin for trying to dispossess Thomson are colluding with it, I am afraid.

Trying to get your opponents sent off is actively seeking to kill off a match, hence ruining it as a spectacle for paying customers. I don't like being conned, and want to see a genuinely competitive game when I fork out my hard-earned. Jim Goodwin was committed to winning the ball, and Thomson is a snivelling rat who was trying to piss on my chips. These cocks should be drummed out of the game, not honest pros who are trying to play the game as it should be played.

John McGinn is an excellent example of a player who doesn't indulge in the play-acting nonsense, and instead channels all his effort and energy into his craft. Numerous other players - including a good few who have been around for a great deal longer such as Kevin Thomson - would do well to take a leaf out of the lad's book.

He could have dispossessed him standing up, blind folded, with f**k all effort as Thomson was on his way down. No need for what was an utterly needless slide tackle. That has nothing to do with anything being over-sanitised. It wasn't a red or even a booking, but it was absolutely moronic and predictable.

He could have dispossessed him standing up, blind folded, with f**k all effort as Thomson was on his way down. No need for what was an utterly needless slide tackle. That has nothing to do with anything being over-sanitised. It wasn't a red or even a booking, but it was absolutely moronic and predictable.

Goodwin had already committed to making the challenge. Unless he has a pause and rewind button, I'm not enirely sure what you would have had him do.

Players all over the pitch, in every match, make tackles that could be regarded as "needless", but I'd rather a few needless challenges than half-hearted shrugs of the shoulders as their opponents ghost past them.

I'm almost 100% certain that, had John McGinn or Kenny McLean made that challenge, you wouldn't have referred to it as moronic.

Edited by Drew

Goodwin had already committed to making the challenge. Unless he has a pause and rewind button, I'm not enirely sure what you would have had him do.

Players all over the pitch, in every match, make tackles that could be regarded as "needless", but I'd rather a few needless challenges than half-hearted shrugs of the shoulders as their opponents ghost past them.

I'm almost 100% certain that, had John McGinn or Kenny McLean made that challenge, you wouldn't have referred to it as moronic.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mainly "supporters" who don't rate Goodwin taking an opportunity to sling some mud as the manager gets a well earned rest from the vitriol that seems to be a daily pastime for some "morons".

Hmm, not a bad rant........however..............

trying to get your opponents sent off is deemed as seeking to gain an advantage, it is an accepted tactic in this over sanitised pish game. Just look at the nonsense going on in the Champions league , the creme de la creme of club football. I just cringe with anticipation of what's going to unfold in the World cup. If diving and feigning is to result in the miscreants being drummed out the game, they'd be no game

Here in parochial wee Ecosse we have as you say wee rats like Ian Black, Kevin Thompson, wee fuds like Pawlett and the snide cowardice of someone like Richie Foran. There was of course our own special Isma Goncalves.........down south , wow, there is a never ending list of play acting fannies.

Anyway, fwiw, I hate the cheating and the diving , but you'll never rid the game of it.

Utter nonsense the he had already committed, watch the damned highlights with some sense of objectivity would you.

Thomson is already on his way down, something like 75 yards from goal and the ball was there to be pinched very easily. McGinn would have knicked it off of Thomson's toe, McLean would have either sat off a yard and picked up the loose ball or knicked it. Either way, we'd have been laughing at Thomson falling on his arse as we moved in on goal. Both are exceptionally gifted, there's no comparison.

Just how was Thomson going to ghost past anyone whilst on the deck?

slide tackles must have changed since i was a boy, i thought they were when you slid in along the ground and made a tackle, not when you run in and try kicking the ball with your right foot and your left foot then makes contact with the foot of the player on the ground, who has just put his foot in your way, and you remain upright throughout without having tackled anyone.

still that would not be as melodramatic as saying "utterly needless slide tackle" even when it was nowhere near a slide tackle

Utter nonsense the he had already committed, watch the damned highlights with some sense of objectivity would you.

Thomson is already on his way down, something like 75 yards from goal and the ball was there to be pinched very easily. McGinn would have knicked it off of Thomson's toe, McLean would have either sat off a yard and picked up the loose ball or knicked it. Either way, we'd have been laughing at Thomson falling on his arse as we moved in on goal. Both are exceptionally gifted, there's no comparison.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Well Nostradamus, gives 6 numbers for tonight's lottery. 1eye.gif

I've watched the highlights, not the damned ones mind you, and I agree with Drew and many others.

You're wrong. We're right.wink.png

So it wasn't a red, or a booking, yet it's moronic. f**k off. Never heard such shite in my life. Probably not a foul but moronic nevertheless? I've heard it all now ffs. As has already been said, he never slid anywhere or dived in. He tried to blooter the ball missed and trippped over thomsons leg which he poked out which may or may not have knocked the ball out of the path of his right boot.

Mistakes don't come much clearer really. They don't over turn on seeing a guy 3 feet away from where the referee has assumed he was then not only are they a laughing stock, unfit to make these judgements, but with the right representation at CAS Jim would stand to win a fair chunk of cash. Really can't see them not....just wondering whether they will have the balls to then ask the logical follow on question about Thomson's reaction?

If anything McGinn goes out of his way to stay on his feet and drive at the opposition and it works a treat.

f**king hell, that's a cracker.laugh.png

Also, your complete lack of understanding of what is a slide tackle is particularly worrying.

Pissed off hearing about Thomson and Goodwin to be honest. We absolutely bossed them from start to finish, and only needed ten men to do it too. Massive three points and an exceedingly controlled and comfortable win while one man light.

Thomson and Goodwin are both players with merit, but both also come with a streak of... Let's call it un-necessary extra-curricular activity.

I'm frankly more interested in how good McLean, McGinn and Newton were, and indeed how utterly hopeless Hibs No 5 and No 33 were. Jeez, they were shit.

..just wondering whether they will have the balls to then ask the logical follow on question about Thomson's reaction?

I'd be really impressed, but absolutely astonished if they had the guts for that.

It's how it should be, though. The reason given for Isma's two game ban for the dive against Celtic was for 'causing the referee to make the wrong decision by simulation'. What was Saturday if it wasn't that?

I'd be really impressed, but absolutely astonished if they had the guts for that.

It's how it should be, though. The reason given for Isma's two game ban for the dive against Celtic was for 'causing the referee to make the wrong decision by simulation'. What was Saturday if it wasn't that?

Isma won us a penalty by diving.

I believe Goodwin will lose his appeal, there is enough doubt for the panel to turn it down. Speaking to neutrals some of them think that it was a bad tackle. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us winning this appeal.

Speaking to neutrals some of them think that it was a bad tackle.

Yup many of them are but many are going on loathing from previous events and most are going on the edited highlights which don't bother questioning the red card and on the following days reports with journalists writing crap about gashed knees.