Techy Question (2)

salmonbuddie

I'm on the Virgin package giving me a broadband speed of 20 Mbps (shortly to go up to 50 for no additional charge - I can remember when it was 2!). When I run the Ookla Speedtest, my phone consistently gets 20 Mbps but my PC only gets half of that on average (14.75 Mbps on one occasion). I'm using a Netgear WG111T connection which should handle up to 54Mbps.

Any thoughts on why the PC is so slow?

Have you scanned your PC for viruses, removed add-ons etc, and what browser are you using? I use firefox and every now and then I run the help solutions to speed up my browsing. Sometimes you need to delete your cache files.

google it, lots of info to help

http://www.blogtyrant.com/increase-internet-download-speed/

You could try changing the channel that your router is broadcasting on, might be getting some interference from elsewhere in the house. If you are connecting the PC via ethernet though then I've no idea.

Can you do that yourself?

Last time I had to get the provider to do it, although it didn't make much difference.

You could try changing the channel that your router is broadcasting on, might be getting some interference from elsewhere in the house. If you are connecting the PC via ethernet though then I've no idea.

No, it's wireless, div, I'll try changing the channel and see what happens.

Probably get myself a new laptop for Christmas if that doesn't work - can anyone recommend anything, up to £500?

:)

No TiVo, snlt, but the hard drive us just about full. Got it all backed up into cloud storage but not been brave enough to trust it completely yet.

:)

Is that the problem? Would it be an idea to buy a seperate drive and transfer all the files to that?

Have you scanned your PC for viruses, removed add-ons etc, and what browser are you using? I use firefox and every now and then I run the help solutions to speed up my browsing. Sometimes you need to delete your cache files.

google it, lots of info to help

http://www.blogtyrant.com/increase-internet-download-speed/

Tried all that before, chalky, cheers.

So it appears that Shuggy is offski - with Mansfield his apparent destination according to today's papers http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/mad.gif

I'm a fan of Murray's - a talented player and no doubt but I do question his workrate sometimes and there are bound to be better players available for nowt on the transfer market - so hopefully we can replace him without too much of a problem http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/unsure.gif

As for players leaving to go to that hotbed of footballing excellence that is Mansfield - well - good luck to them http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.gif

Here's a new one - trying to quote saltcoats buddie and this came up. Any ideas, div?

What's a "never to be repeated print" saltcoats? Typo?

Edited by salmonbuddie

No TiVo, snlt, but the hard drive us just about full. Got it all backed up into cloud storage but not been brave enough to trust it completely yet.

smile.png

Is that the problem? Would it be an idea to buy a seperate drive and transfer all the files to that?

If your hard drive is almost full, in my experience, it slows things down.

My old PC suffered from this, I bought a separate hard drive, like you still scared of "cloud" storage and feel more comfortable with something I have control over.

I store almost everything on this, pictures, music, movies, etc.

The price of these is astounding, my first PC had a 4GB hard drive, my external hard drive is 750GB.

Is that not the maximum anticipated network d/l speed, not a guaranteed rate?  I may be wrong but think other network traffic will have a bearing and there's nowt you can do about that.

I've done the test on my pc and my phone one after the other and get the same result ie the pc is half the speed of my phone so I doubt that's the issue. Phone is consistently around 20, pc around 10.

Sounds like it could be one of many things ? Are you connecting to the router wireless or wired ?

If wired it could be your Ethernet card in your PC is old/rubbish/broke/need the drivers updated. Could be a dodgy Ethernet cable. Could be 10000001 things to be honest ?

But what do I know, I don't use a PC !

Sounds like it could be one of many things ? Are you connecting to the router wireless or wired ?

If wired it could be your Ethernet card in your PC is old/rubbish/broke/need the drivers updated. Could be a dodgy Ethernet cable. Could be 10000001 things to be honest ?

But what do I know, I don't use a PC !

He's wireless, so says an earlier post.

You super mac isnae that good. lol.gif

That narrows it down to 1000000. whistling.gif

Edited by faraway saint