January Window Bubbling Away

lovestreet

In his two spells with Coventry McSheffrey scored over 60 goals in 200 odd appearances, he's 31and has good experience at a decent level, but I doubt that he would come to Scottish football when he can make more cash in the lower reaches of English football.

Totally agree, though Gary McAllister used to be on at him to choose to represent Scotland as he'd probably have got some caps when he was in his early 20s. He qualifies by family so might have a granny in Paisley he could stop with. If he hasn't, I'm sure we could find him one!

But you're right, he can make more money just seeing out his career in League 1/2.

FFS Dungdee Utd manage to bring El Aligue (spelling?) in and makes you wonder why we cannot for once beat the competition? We need another front man yet plastics also get Lyle Taylor on loan who scored on his debut.

Understand the point but we got Adam Campbell who scored on his debut

FFS Dungdee Utd manage to bring El Aligue (spelling?) in and makes you wonder why we cannot for once beat the competition? We need another front man yet plastics also get Lyle Taylor on loan who scored on his debut.

We beat Hibs to Goodwin and Motherwell to Harkins (ok, ok...). Gowser wouldn't have been short of suitors in the summer, nor would Newton have been.

I'm not saying we're regularly taking our pick of the best players, but it's a bit far to say it never happens.

We beat Hibs to Goodwin and Motherwell to Harkins (ok, ok...). Gowser wouldn't have been short of suitors in the summer, nor would Newton have been.

I'm not saying we're regularly taking our pick of the best players, but it's a bit far to say it never happens.

Was Utd not interested in Imrie before we got him unsure.png

So, apart from Adam Campbell, Jim Goodwin, Gowser, Newton and Imrie - who has DL ever signed for St Mirren before the opposition? :angry:

One thing that seems to be a constant for us in any transfer window is we leave things late.

It could mean the club take their time but it could also result in us being left with the players nobody is really interested in.

The delay certainly causes some concern.

or with no signings at all and 'blast' there's another transfer window come and gone! Hey ho we are in the relegation( play off) dogfight again.

Edited by stevenston saint

So, apart from Adam Campbell, Jim Goodwin, Gowser, Newton and Imrie - who has DL ever signed for St Mirren before the opposition? mad.gif

We need more than Campbell up front who is young, inexperienced and if we lose Thommo through injury we have one inexperienced striker to use. My point is that if we needed further cover up front then why wait if the likes of Aligue and Taylor were available on loan and both did a pretty good job scoring wise albeit in the league below. As for the others, Goodwin and Gowser were already at the club and not sure if we were in a battle for Imrie (if it was Dungdee Utd, then wish they had bloody won). Newton was a good bit of business but who else was in for him? There was some talk of Championship clubs but if that was the case then why did he plump to come back to a small club like ours? My point in all this was simply that as others have said, we leave things far too late and by that time most of the potentially decent players have been snapped up by our competitors. I hope Danny has some names in the bag as our squad is far too lightweight particularly at this time of the year when the weather tends to produce more injuries and illness.

Totally agree, though Gary McAllister used to be on at him to choose to represent Scotland as he'd probably have got some caps when he was in his early 20s. He qualifies by family so might have a granny in Paisley he could stop with. If he hasn't, I'm sure we could find him one! But you're right, he can make more money just seeing out his career in League 1/2.

My thinking is that a player of Mc Sheffrey's ability and experience could well have a similar impact to Heffernan who came up here to Killie with a similar record. If we could afford him then I would definitely take a chance on him, if he was interested. We never seem to get these types of player, yet Killie and ICT seem to have great success in this market.

This is a massive transfer window for the club.

If we find ourselves in the play-off spot, and [*shudders*] lose out, we will have a hell of a job bouncing straight back up. We MUST strengthen in key areas. So far, we've done some very good business in keeping Kello on board, and have had a boost with the news that Newton will remain until the summer also. Campbell looks promising if a wee bit raw (it might be asking a bit too much for him to make anything approaching the same impact as Isma last season), but we need to further bolster key areas.

A left-sided midfielder would be good. McLean doesn't look too out of place in that position IMO, but he is injured. Grainger might pass as a wing-back, but I don't think he is offensive enough to occupy a more advanced left-mid role.

We require a central defender. No question on that. Even if Mair stays, it seems he is so out of the picture that he can hardly now be considered a viable option. Moving Goodwin back to central defence is an absolute no-no. If pushed, I would say that bringing in a central defender must be the highest priority.

Finally, we need someone to take the pressure of Thommos. The man is an absolute giant for us, but he looks a bit weary at times, and no wonder. He should never have been placed in the position he finds himself in, in terms of having no cover up top. What a debacle! FFS, give the guy a breather by bringing a big front-man in to compliment Campbell when Thommo needs a break from time to time

So, three signings is the ideal, but two is the minimum. Bearing in mind that next Wednesday will mark the middle of the month, I would hope to see some developments by the end of next week or fear the worst. After the thoroughly dubious dealings of the summer (I'm possibly being kind in using that terminology), the club must know that they need to strive to get it right this time. No margin for error.

GIE'S A SIGNING!!!!

Edited by Drew

It was reported at the time that both St. Mirren and Dundee United were interested in Dougie Imrie. Peter Houston was still the manager at Dundee United at the time and he was very keen to bring him on board. Given the way things worked out for Dougie at St. Mirren I bet he is wishing Dundee United had offered more money for him that we did.

More than likely, Utd were grateful we got him.