The Cricket Thread

shull

Just heard an English cricket man has returned home, suffering from stress.

Flying out there in 1st class, staying in 5 star hotels, getting everything paid for obviously has it's downside. lol.gif

Jonathon Trott - obviously Australia have one Round 1 of the mind-games! I suppose the next question (& one shull will want to know) is whether he will be giving up his Central Contract with England said to be worth £450k p.a.!

Sledging - it's always been part of the game and I remember some of the classic banter,

Rodney Marsh - How are your wife & my kids?

Ian Botham - The wife's fine, but the kids are retarded!

but Michael Clarke's "get ready for a fucking broken arm" was OTT and the punishment 20% of his match fee was too little - it should've been a one match ban!

Just heard an English cricket man has returned home, suffering from stress.

Flying out there in 1st class, staying in 5 star hotels, getting everything paid for obviously has it's downside. lol.gif

Don't know what's up with Trott. He was clearly out of sorts in the summer but he's gone from Mr.Reliable to a no hoper in double quick time. Stress related apparently.

Don't know what's up with Trott. He was clearly out of sorts in the summer but he's gone from Mr.Reliable to a no hoper in double quick time. Stress related apparently.

Form - it's an age old problem in all sports. In the past you knuckled down, talked to coaches or guys within the game you respected, latterly maybe study videos of how you've gotten out and tried to turn things around. Like I said above maybe a Central Contract where you're being paid (OK - big assumption here) whether you play or not makes it easier to drop out like this.

Obviously a difficult decision for the guy to make and there's the issue of whether it's in good taste to discuss it but it's hard to see him come back from this - the last guy to do something similar Marcus Trescothick never played international cricket again.

Form - it's an age old problem in all sports. In the past you knuckled down, talked to coaches or guys within the game you respected, latterly maybe study videos of how you've gotten out and tried to turn things around. Like I said above maybe a Central Contract where you're being paid (OK - big assumption here) whether you play or not makes it easier to drop out like this.

Obviously a difficult decision for the guy to make and there's the issue of whether it's in good taste to discuss it but it's hard to see him come back from this - the last guy to do something similar Marcus Trescothick never played international cricket again.

I wish I had the stress of earning £450K per annum, but I don't mean to make light of his problem. With Trescothick I thought it was being away from home that was the difficulty. I'm fairly sure he asked to be considered for home tests and, rightly in my view, the ECB declined his offer.

I wish I had the stress of earning £450K per annum, but I don't mean to make light of his problem. With Trescothick I thought it was being away from home that was the difficulty. I'm fairly sure he asked to be considered for home tests and, rightly in my view, the ECB declined his offer.

Yeah, the cases are not identical but like I said similar in that they were both stress related.

I wish I had the stress of earning £450K per annum, but I don't mean to make light of his problem.

That's exactly what you are doing though.

There are millions of people suffering depression in this country and they are needlessly suffering quietly because this is exactly the response they are worried about getting.

Maybe someone can tell me WTF your wage packet has to do with anything.

Dude, even for you this is a pretty brainless thing to say.

Dude? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Indeed Oakey, stress, well, used to be called "life", is something that's been around a long time.

Most people just get on with it, some don't.

I'll not be losing any sleep for an overpaid guy who hits a ball with a bit of wood and can't handle it.

Get a grip, there, sorted. bye1.gif

Dude? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Indeed Oakey, stress, well, used to be called "life", is something that's been around a long time.

Most people just get on with it, some don't.

I'll not be losing any sleep for an overpaid guy who hits a ball with a bit of wood and can't handle it.

Get a grip, there, sorted. bye1.gif

This is the sort of ill educated pish Dickson is famous for?

Trott is clearly ill and needs treatment for it.

Again WTF has his salary to do with it.

Illness is illness.

At least he's not dealing with it by trolling the forums all day spouting nonsense.

Illness is illness.

At least he's not dealing with it by trolling the forums all day spouting nonsense.

How the fcuk do you, who knows fcuk all about fcuk all, know he's "clearly ill"?

Are you a fcuking close friend, relative, doctor or just someone who just spouts shite when you don't like it?

I'm sure plenty of people have had times when life, have ever experienced that, has been tough.

Get on with it or don't, fcuk sakes, stress wasn't invented till teachers found another way to get more time off.

Edited by faraway saint

Clearly there is a lot of awareness about mental health still to be done. Money nor fame accounts for any personal feeling when it comes to having struggling with your mental health. You may need some time out to recharge or face battling a mental illness which is a horrible thing to go through. The comparison to stress being part of daily life, well that's true - it is. Everyone needs stress and anxiety in their life too function and that's fine at a healthy level. When it comes to the point though that you slip down the continuum and it affects you on a daily basis then it is a problem and shouldn't be mocked whether you are a single mum or sport star. More people do need to talk about their own experiences but that won't happen when attitudes continue with the just get on with it crap you hear again and again.

If it was as easy as get your head down and get on with it, trust me - I'd have got on with a long time ago.

Hope he recovers soon and it can't be easy for someone in his position to come out about it, so well done to him and hopefully he will receive support and no snide comments about how wealth and first class travel would seem to exclude people from debilitating conditions. He may not be mentally ill but that doesn't mean he doesn't have poor mental health at this moment in time and there's a crucial difference.

Clearly there is a lot of awareness about mental health still to be done. Money nor fame accounts for any personal feeling when it comes to having struggling with your mental health. You may need some time out to recharge or face battling a mental illness which is a horrible thing to go through. The comparison to stress being part of daily life, well that's true - it is. Everyone needs stress and anxiety in their life too function and that's fine at a healthy level. When it comes to the point though that you slip down the continuum and it affects you on a daily basis then it is a problem and shouldn't be mocked whether you are a single mum or sport star. More people do need to talk about their own experiences but that won't happen when attitudes continue with the just get on with it crap you hear again and again.

If it was as easy as get your head down and get on with it, trust me - I'd have got on with a long time ago.

Hope he recovers soon and it can't be easy for someone in his position to come out about it, so well done to him and hopefully he will receive support and no snide comments about how wealth and first class travel would seem to exclude people from debilitating conditions. He may not be mentally ill but that doesn't mean he doesn't have poor mental health at this moment in time and there's a crucial difference.

You make a lot of good points and I agree with all you say.

The reason mental health is - wrongly- not taken seriously by many in a sporting context is, I believe, as follows:

Take tonight for example. Paul Lambert and Ron Vlaar are interviewed post match (their team came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2). Both talk repeatedly about having a strong mentality and been really strong mentally and having real belief mentally.

Every player and manager (our own included) bangs on about mental strength and positive mentality in virtually every interview. It is seen as a sporting virtue.

When a sportsman admits to be struggling mentally it's completely opposite to what we are fed almost daily as being important to any sporting achievement. I think many fans and even coaches ignorantly see it as almost a betrayal.

Of course no one chooses to be mentally ill, just like no one chooses to have a knee ligament injury. The difference is you'll never hear a manager bang on about how vital strong knee ligaments are to a winning team, but you'll hear him talk about how vital a strong mentality is with a boring regularity.

On the flip side players and management are regularly criticised by pundits for having a fragile mentality - For being a bunch of bottle merchants or for lacking mental strength. You'll never hear someone criticise a player for having a weak knee or a weak stomach, but is there any difference? No. Mental issues are wrongly seen inherently as a weakness within a sporting context.

The problem is there's no obvious solution. We can't realistically to expect managers or pundits not to talk about how important a strong mentality is, because it is important. But then it's hard for the public to view it as no slight on a player who is struggling mentally when we spend our whole time as consumers of sport listening to how important mental strength is.

Illness is illness.

Ok, first line, you are a pompous cnut at times, spouting out "education" as the be all and end all of life. Education is important, but I believe experience is more important and most people when they have reached a certain age will benefit from their experience rather than stuff they "learned" at school or university. Do people go to classes to make a comment on everything? Maybe in your regimented life, not in the world of many other people.

Second line, as I hinted at, how, pray tell, can you say with any authority, Trott is clearly ill and needs treatment? 1eye.gif This is he usual line you spout from your ivory tower, the "know all" mansion or wherever you pass large parts of your life.

His salary was mentioned as a comparison to the majority of people who have a fraction of his salary and cope with the day to day pressures of life. I'm sure Mr Trott is feeling things are hard but I'd bet many people struggling to balance basic incomes, families and in jobs where they are responsible for keeping things running or run their own business and things are spiralling out of their control. Do all these people succumb to "stress"? Some people handle it, some don't. That's certainly not saying people who don't are in any way wrong but it says some people manage the situation.

Your last sentence, well, you have joined the rather sad "moron" club as this is spouted by the desperate and ironic forum members. Well done. bye1.gif

All of the above is my view, not a science. I'm sure I can sleep well if people don't agree as life goes on, well, for most of us anyway.

Ok, first line, you are a pompous cnut at times, spouting out "education" as the be all and end all of life. Education is important, but I believe experience is more important and most people when they have reached a certain age will benefit from their experience rather than stuff they "learned" at school or university. Do people go to classes to make a comment on everything? Maybe in your regimented life, not in the world of many other people.

Second line, as I hinted at, how, pray tell, can you say with any authority, Trott is clearly ill and needs treatment? 1eye.gif This is he usual line you spout from your ivory tower, the "know all" mansion or wherever you pass large parts of your life.

His salary was mentioned as a comparison to the majority of people who have a fraction of his salary and cope with the day to day pressures of life. I'm sure Mr Trott is feeling things are hard but I'd bet many people struggling to balance basic incomes, families and in jobs where they are responsible for keeping things running or run their own business and things are spiralling out of their control. Do all these people succumb to "stress"? Some people handle it, some don't. That's certainly not saying people who don't are in any way wrong but it says some people manage the situation.

Your last sentence, well, you have joined the rather sad "moron" club as this is spouted by the desperate and ironic forum members. Well done. bye1.gif

All of the above is my view, not a science. I'm sure I can sleep well if people don't agree as life goes on, well, for most of us anyway.

It's kind of you to respond twice.

Have a wee look through what Lex and Holly have posted above.

Interesting and thought provoking posts from Hollz from Lex.

Cricket essentially boils down to a mano-a-mano duel between the bowler and the batsman. In many ways it's a statistics driven game and a batsman like Trott will know his batting average and how it breaks down overall, year by year, by opposition, home and away. He'll know which bowlers have gotten him out, how often and in what manner and this has obviously preyed on his mind. In Trott's case it's more complicated by the Aussies talking up his current problems and in fact one Australian specifically mentioned Trott calling his batting "poor and weak" in a post match interview although he has apologized in the wake of Trott's departure from the series but up until the story broke it seemed fair game for one and all.

A batsman like Trott doesn't get to be an international cricketer if he has many weaknesses in his game - indeed as recently as July 2011 he was ranked No. 2 batsman in the world, I'll repeat that - No. 2 in the world, and is currently ranked No.15 so he is still a top, top player and yet somehow it's all gone wrong for him. You have to sympathize with the player whose on field problems have come to dominate his life.

Will anything change - it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for sledging to start again and to what level. Like I said earlier in the thread Clarke's comments to Anderson were well OTT although apparently Anderson is no stranger to intimidation himself.

Many issues spring from the original one and perhaps we should think more carefully about what we post and I include myself in that.

Edited by Bud the Baker

That's exactly what you are doing though.

There are millions of people suffering depression in this country and they are needlessly suffering quietly because this is exactly the response they are worried about getting.

Maybe someone can tell me WTF your wage packet has to do with anything.

So I'm a liar and only you are right once again. I take it you do know stress is not an illness? I have been and still am an admirer of Jonathon Trott. I hope he gets over whatever it is. Stress is part of life and there is a large body of informed opinion which states that stress is a good thing. By God, it has become a nice little earner!

I don't think you're the official Thought Policeman on this forum but you certainly behave as if you are. It must be comforting to know you are always right. Just remember what Hamlet had to say about that. But I suppose you'll say he got it wrong.

So I'm a liar and only you are right once again. I take it you do know stress is not an illness? I have been and still am an admirer of Jonathon Trott. I hope he gets over whatever it is. Stress is part of life and there is a large body of informed opinion which states that stress is a good thing. By God, it has become a nice little earner!

I don't think you're the official Thought Policeman on this forum but you certainly behave as if you are. It must be comforting to know you are always right. Just remember what Hamlet had to say about that. But I suppose you'll say he got it wrong.

Wasn't Hamlet was a fictional character?

Are you going to quote Harry Potter next?

Wasn't Hamlet was a fictional character?

Are you going to quote Harry Potter next?

Could you translate that? Hamlet was fictional, Shakespeare wasn't. I don't personally believe that JK wrote just as well as Shakespeare but you're entitled to your view in my opinion. Something you deny to others.