The Cricket Thread

shull

Could you translate that? Hamlet was fictional, Shakespeare wasn't. I don't personally believe that JK wrote just as well as Shakespeare but you're entitled to your view in my opinion. Something you deny to others.

Deny others?

Deny??

I deny nobody nuffink except the right to make a dafty statement and escape without being ridiculed.

You and Faraway are welcome to continue to say what you like.

I can't buy the kind of entertainment you guys provide.

Stress its self may not be a mental illness just like feeling of despair perhaps involved with daily life aren't either. It isn't just a case of people with a mental illness need time out and away to recover it can to anyone who is experiencing poor mental health. Nobody can compare what perhaps he is experiencing to the daily stresses of life - we don't know the full extent; he may have a mental illness like OCD as he indicated it is anxiety related. OCD has nothing to do with wealth or perfection on the pitch but being the top of your game could be a trigger for an illness such as this. I'm using that as an example and not saying Trott has OCD just indicating that it may not merely just be a case of stress that needs a few days in a dark room. Underlying supports and therapy may be needed as well as rest and you know what; a mental illness doesn't spare you if you are Stephen Fry, Scott Mills or have been a sporting success like Frank Bruno.

As I mentioned - stress in the way we all experience it on a daily basis - is part of daily life and thus the mental health continuum. Everyone has mental health, it can be good, it can be bad or shaky and likewise you can have a mental illness but be functioning well. Nobody should be put down because they struggle with pressures more than someone else. Life wouldn't be the world it is if we were all the same. Some people cope with bereavement or job loss and get on with it others don't. It doesn't mean your a winner or loser; simply individual.

If you have money and a good job it doesn't stop you breaking your leg, catching a cold or being diagnosed with cancer. No money in the world can make any of us fail succumb to illness. Mental health is no different and it's about time people realise it isn't simply just a case of getting on with things, some situations this can be true in the normal rigours of life and we do adapt - but if faced with poor mental health or a mental illness you need to dig deeper, understand and seek help to recover.

Edited by Hollz

Stress its self may not be a mental illness just like feeling of despair perhaps involved with daily life aren't either. It isn't just a case of people with a mental illness need time out and away to recover it can to anyone who is experiencing poor mental health. Nobody can compare what perhaps he is experiencing to the daily stresses of life - we don't know the full extent; he may have a mental illness like OCD as he indicated it is anxiety related. OCD has nothing to do with wealth or perfection on the pitch but being the top of your game could be a trigger for an illness such as this. I'm using that as an example and not saying Trott has OCD just indicating that it may not merely just be a case of stress that needs a few days in a dark room. Underlying supports and therapy may be needed as well as rest and you know what; a mental illness doesn't spare you if you are Stephen Fry, Scott Mills or have been a sporting success like Frank Bruno.

As I mentioned - stress in the way we all experience it on a daily basis - is part of daily life and thus the mental health continuum. Everyone has mental health, it can be good, it can be bad or shaky and likewise you can have a mental illness but be functioning well. Nobody should be put down because they struggle with pressures more than someone else. Life wouldn't be the world it is if we were all the same. Some people cope with bereavement or job loss and get on with it others don't. It doesn't mean your a winner or loser; simply individual.

If you have money and a good job it doesn't stop you breaking your leg, catching a cold or being diagnosed with cancer. No money in the world can make any of us fail succumb to illness. Mental health is no different and it's about time people realise it isn't simply just a case of getting on with things, some situations this can be true in the normal rigours of life and we do adapt - but if faced with poor mental health or a mental illness you need to dig deeper, understand and seek help to recover.

An excellent post and I agree with every word. A few mildly humorous remarks though, in some idiots' minds, puts you beyond the pale. Remind me not to tell my favourite joke about pygmies in case I get accused of being heightist. And then there's the one about a Scotsman. an Englishman and an Irishman who go into a bar one night...... Oh, f**k, I'm clearly a racist! Some folk want to get a life. Loosen up. And I promise I don't mean you, Hollz.

Stress, unfortunately, has become the modern day back injury.

The vast majority of professions that lose time off work due to stress are all in positions that have generous sick pay schemes.

Ask how many manual workers who are only on SSP if they would lose time off work to stress?

Not saying its not a bad situation for some people but I'm sure it's milked to the detriment of the real people who need help.

Now, back to the cricket........ It's shite!

The vast majority of professions that lose time off work due to stress are all in positions that have generous sick pay schemes.

Ask how many manual workers who are only on SSP if they would lose time off work to stress?

Not saying its not a bad situation for some people but I'm sure it's milked to the detriment of the real people who need help.

Now, back to the cricket........ It's shite!

Yes, a poor first test. I hope England get a grip and compete. I still don't see it being an Australian whitewash but some of the experienced England batsmen need to perform.

Shull owes you a tenner.

When the day is done, and the ball has spun, in the umpire's pocket away
And all remains, is the groundsman's pains for the rest of time and a day
There'll be one mad dog and his master, pushing for four with the spin
On a dusty pitch, with two pounds six of willow wood in the sun

When an old cricketer leaves the crease, you never know whether he's gone
If sometimes you're catching a fleeting glimpse of a twelfth man at silly mid-on
And it could be Geoff, and it could be John, with a new ball sting in his tail
And it could be me, and it could be thee, and it could be the sting in the ale, sting in the ale.

When an old cricketer leaves the crease, well you never know whether he's gone
If sometimes you're catching a fleeting glimpse of a twelfth man at silly mid-on
And it could be Geoff and it could be John, with a new ball sting in his tail
And it could be me and it could be thee, and it could be the sting in the ale, the sting in the ale.

When the moment comes and the gathering stands and the clock turns back to reflect
On the years of grace as those footsteps trace for the last time out of the act
Well this way of life's recollection, the hallowed strip in the haze
The fabled men and the noonday sun are much more than just yarns of their days.

Yeah I wouldn't have quoted Harper had I known about the allegations but it remains an appropriate summary of the arc of a professional sportsman's career.

But for every Trott there's a Root and for every Grainger a Kelly - like I said earlier on in the thread the aim must be to comment without resorting to abuse.

Day 1 - Australia 273-5

England obviously don't feel confident about their batting line-up calling up all-rounder Stokes from the Development Squad who are also currently touring Australia instead of Bresnan. Interesting to see England go in with two spinners (and lose the toss) - Adelaide's tradition as a spinner's paradise may not be much of a guide with a new pitch "dropped in". Hard schedule for England's two fast bowlers who bowled 40 overs between them on Day 1 but the real question is what will happen when Australia and Mitchell Johnson bowls.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Pietersen and Root gone already. England cracking up, 75-3 and trailing by 495.

Pietersen is so far up his own arse he has became a parody of himself. He believes his own hype and thinks he can get away with shots like that. What a shocking winter he is having, Cook could do a lot worse than dropping him and bringing in someone like Ballance.

Follow on looks inevitable now, and an even worse humiliation than Brisbane looks set to follow for England.

They need a big partnership from Bell and Carberry here to have any chance of retaining the prospect of a dignified defeat.

Pietersen and Root gone already. England cracking up, 75-3 and trailing by 495.

Pietersen is so far up his own arse he has became a parody of himself. He believes his own hype and thinks he can get away with shots like that. What a shocking winter he is having, Cook could do a lot worse than dropping him and bringing in someone like Ballance.

Follow on looks inevitable now, and an even worse humiliation than Brisbane looks set to follow for England.

They need a big partnership from Bell and Carberry here to have any chance of retaining the prospect of a dignified defeat.

Maybe Harkins could get a game?

What a turnaround - in the summer Mitchell Johnson was not regarded as being steady enough to make the Test team and yet at home he has almost delivered the Ashes to the boys in the baggy green caps!

Agree with that. Australia have stepped it up markedly whilst England this far have simply withered in the summer heat. Not been much of a contest so far. Hopefully the remaining tests will be more of an event.

England have just taken the new ball at 304/6 - crucial last few overs!

Bresnan for Panesar - England's concerns about their batting still plain to see.

Australia 326/6 - nicely poised can England polish off the tail tomorrow or will Australia bat England out of the game like they did at Adelaide and after that we have the prospect of Johnson being unleashed on what I presume is a fast pitch - understatement alert!

Australia look to have analysed the situation thoroughly and done everything possible to maximize their chances of reclaiming The Ashes and who can blame them?

Teatime - Day 2

Australia 385

England 91 -2

England got off to a decent start but with Root going just before the break it's finely balanced. Crucial session coming up - is there ever a non-crucial session? unsure.png

Edited by Bud the Baker