The Cricket Thread

shull

Start of the collapse?

Still not convinced with the 2nd wicket.

I would have thought there would have to have been a decisive indication the ball hit the bat, there wasn't.

The protocol is not to overturn the on-field umpires decision unless the TV umpire is 100% convinced the decision was wrong.

England 180-4 at close of play - 205 behind and only 12 overs away from the new ball.

This really is what Test cricket has always been about since the dawn of time, the longer England can continue batting the greater the likelihood of events taking a strange turn. Having said that 3-0 looks the most likely outcome at this point.

When you're up against it.................

Bad break (sic) for England with their best bowler so far this series Broad being injured by Johnson. Their customary collapse has been followed by a rapid 225/3 from Australia putting them 359 ahead with 4.3 overs till close of play.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

If Johnson don't get ya, Siddle must!

Close of play - Australia 235/3, 369 runs ahead.

Moving back to the issue of how to report on players form here's Boycott on Pietersen below wink.png - I suppose it's too ingrained now and we'll never go back to the elegant writing which graced the game for so long, there should be room for both styles but it's becoming harder and harder to find the oldskool reporting with each successful Test match playing retiree being snapped up almost before he's reached the pavilion.

"When it comes to batting with patience and concentration against disciplined bowling, he just can't do it," said Boycott. "He bottles it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25378139

Edited by Bud the Baker

When you're up against it.................

Bad break (sic) for England with their best bowler so far this series Broad being injured by Johnson. Their customary collapse has been followed by a rapid 225/3 from Australia putting them 359 ahead with 4.3 overs till close of play.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

If Johnson don't get ya, Siddle must!

That made me laugh........................whistling.gif

Watched the England tail enders look as though they were shitting themselves, although some of the bowling was brutal.

Doomed and 5-0 is looking more and more a possibility.

Australia 385 & 369/6d

England 251 & 251/5 (67.0 ov)

England require another 253 runs with 5 wickets remaining

Some brutal batting by Australia 134 in 17 overs (including 28 of the final one by Anderson) still it was a pretty sporting declaration just 504 ahead (I'd have gone for 550) - I know it would be a record winning total in a fourth Innings but it's a fast scoring ground and England's batsmen are on schedule although they won't make it. Just 5 wickets required, maybe only 4 if Broad is unfit - the serious business should be over by this time tomorrow.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Watched quite a bit in the early hours.

The pitch whistling.gif is a joke, so hard it had massive cracks straight down the middle.

After some careful consideration my view is test cricked is absolutely shite.

I wasn't aware cricket had a past tense.

the Ashes on the other hand, have as far as Engerlund are concerned!lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Watched quite a bit in the early hours.

The pitch whistling.gif is a joke, so hard it had massive cracks straight down the middle.

After some careful consideration my view is test cricked is absolutely shite.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ABOUT_CRICKET/PITCHES/PREP_OF_PITCHES.html

The cracks are intentional - part of the natural wear and tear expected.

I've left a link to an article explaining it in detail, unfortunately I can't lift the relevant section - 2. What Do We See As Being A Good Pitch?

Pretty standard pitch from what I saw - I've seen bigger cracks in the subcontinent. ooolala-sign.gif

As for the remainder of the series, sometimes the winning side will ease off in the "dead" Tests but given the niggle between the two sides I can't see that happening. Statin' the bleedin obvious but England won't want to be whitewashed, my opinion - 50/50.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Graeme Swann retires from Test & First Class cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/702897.html

Always newsworthy with a cheeky Tweet bag.gif no doubt he's off to One Day/T20 cricket & media work. Possible replacement for Tuffers as resident cheeky chappy on Question of Sport?

5 years (& 10 days) since he made his Test debut he's played 60 Tests excl.png & taken 255 wickets at 29.96 - sixth on England's all-time list and second top spinner behind "Deadly" Derek Underwood. A late arrive to Test cricket he took his wickets at a phenomenal rate until wear'n'tear started to take it's toll on his body over the last 18 months. Took two wickets in his first over in Test cricket, at his peak his arrival seemed to guarantee a first over wicket and England regaining control of the situation. Often batting at 8/9/10 he contributed quick runs down the order on a number of occasions - his average of 22.09 would have been a lot higher if he had not batted for the team at a Strike Rate of 76.49.

Had elbow surgery this year before The Ashes Mk. 1 in England but the current jaunt Down Under has proved a series too far & he has conceded the most runs ever by a Test bowler in a calendar year in 2013, but given the proliferation of Test Cricket I'm sure someone will take that particular monkey off his back. In a stats dominated sport it's nice to see him retire with his average still the right side of 30, BtB's verdict - not quite a great.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Graeme Swann retires from Test & First Class cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/702897.html

Always newsworthy with a cheeky Tweet bag.gif no doubt he's off to One Day/T20 cricket & media work. Possible replacement for Tuffers as resident cheeky chappy on Question of Sport?

5 years (& 10 days) since he made his Test debut he's played 60 Tests excl.png & taken 255 wickets at 29.96 - sixth on England's all-time list and second top spinner behind "Deadly" Derek Underwood. A late arrive to Test cricket he took his wickets at a phenomenal rate until wear'n'tear started to take it's toll on his body over the last 18 months. Took two wickets in his first over in Test cricket, at his peak his arrival seemed to guarantee a first over wicket and England regaining control of the situation. Often batting at 8/9/10 he contributed quick runs down the order on a number of occasions - his average of 22.09 would have been a lot higher if he had not batted for the team at a Strike Rate of 76.49.

Had elbow surgery this year before The Ashes Mk. 1 in England but the current jaunt Down Under has proved a series too far & he has conceded the most runs ever by a Test bowler in a calendar year in 2013, but given the proliferation of Test Cricket I'm sure someone will take that particular monkey off his back. In a stats dominated sport it's nice to see him retire with his average still the right side of 30, BtB's verdict - not quite a great.

Post of the year............................snore.gif

wink.png