The Cricket Thread

shull

I know I said I wouldn't but Chris "The Galeforce" Gayle's slamtastic 215 yesterday got me watching and looking at the tables...........

Scotland play Afghanistan tonight in Pool A, probably our best chance of a victory. A possible shock might be England after Bangladesh getting a weather induced tie against Australia lifting them to third place in the table. Big match could be March 9 Bangers vs England................

Meanwhile in Pool B Ireland are losing to the UAE & two victories have pulled the Windies back into contention for the knockout stages.

Erm, Ireland win by 2 wickets! 1eye.gif

One of the major countries out in Pool A and possibly another either Pakistan or the Windies in Pool B!

From an England POV the guy to come out of this debacle with his pants "as clean as gold" is Cap'n Cook!

Or maybe not, Colin Graves the incoming Chairman of the EWCB has suggested their may be a way back for KP - some arsenic with your Weetabix Alistair?rip.gif

EWCB - England & Wales Cricket Board, so you get to beat two countries for the price of one! nerd.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Local lad Majid Khan sent home from World Cup.......

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/847877.html

Apparently for tweeting his disappointment at being dropped. You can understand his disappointment but with Scotland already out of the tournament I'm assuming it was felt the time to give the younger guy a game - obviously these situations have to be handled tactfully, maybe a public announcement that it was a long term decision and not a reflection on the player's performance at the tournament - disappointing end to the WC for a player who has done his job well.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Never ones to miss a chance of turning the screw on the English ex-Test player Glenn "two n's" McGrath is focusing on the real issue and forecasting a 5-0 Aussie whitewash is this summer's Ashes series! punk.gif

He's forecasted that scoreline before every single Ashes for about 20 years to be fair.

31 sixes so far

Guptil set record

NZ on fire

Quite sensational! Before the Windies batted it was obvious that the run chase was almost impossible but Chris Gayle was their one hope. Just for a wee while it was looking interesting. Good luck to The Kiwis. With Scotland carrying no luck at all, I hope NZ wins it.

PS If you believe the bit about Scotland, you're aff yer heid!

Big game v SA in Auckland on Tuesday, win that and I think ip they win it all, 7 times in the semis and never in the final, this could be it this time

Now that Graeme Smith has retired I've got nothing against SA (I admired him as a cricketist but couldn't stand the bassa) but I'll be rooting for NZ. I think you'll do it. Apart from his knock, I see Guptil weighed in with two catches as well. Not a bad day's work. Every batsman going into a big match like that must quietly be hoping for a ton, but 237n.o. Unbelievable.

Semis pretty much as expected with only the margin of SA's victory a surprise, with Wahab's fired up spell (especially to Shane Watson) probably the highlight of the tournament so far........

As for the Windies it was a depressingly inevitable outcome, shortly to be followed by a quick Test series against England. Will Gayle feature much as injuries catch up with him?

Edit - Wahab fined 50% and Watson 15% of their match fees for the squabble!

Edited by Bud the Baker