The Cricket Thread

shull

Well... what a performance for Australia against the reigning world champions tonight, I can't wait for the final on Sunday.

The Kiwi's are undoubtedly the favourites after beating the Aussies in the pool game, and are rightly the side that all cricket loving neutrals will be backing in the final.

I however, after growing up here, and playing all my cricket here ( mostly badly ) will be cheering them on from my living room on Sunday, not having been able to procure a ticket .

The MCG , or the G as the Victorians refer to it, is an awesome venue, a cauldron, and I'm sure that just as in the group game, will be a hard fought and closely contested encounter.

Bring it on!

The "G" might just be a wee bit too big for an NZ side used to playing in small grounds, dont expect as manys 6's. That being said Williamson and Taylor have a talent for finding the gaps so you never know. Given my final prediction of SA V India Im not going to make a call.

But I will be cheering for NZ - and that doesn't happen often!

The "G" might just be a wee bit too big for an NZ side used to playing in small grounds, dont expect as manys 6's. That being said Williamson and Taylor have a talent for finding the gaps so you never know. Given my final prediction of SA V India Im not going to make a call.

But I will be cheering for NZ - and that doesn't happen often!

Was thinking the same, anyway like you I will be cheering on NZ.......

As an aside like football WC's this has gone on a bit too long for me, as I was saying to Mr. Clarkson the other day I like it best at the start when there's a game a day and you get to see the smaller more exotic countries with less skilful players and their (ahem) colourful fans. By the time you reach the end you're reduced to merely watching sportsmen (the best in their field admittedly) perform while making very few clangers. That's why a close game like SA vs NZ with the accompanying emotion and excitement is necessary to make it interesting - one sided games like Australia/India and Germany/Brazil at the last football WC just bore me............or maybe I've just got a short attention sp

Was always a order for The Kiwis to win at the MCG, never expected them to get a hiding like that though.

Aussies best ODI team in the world by quite a distance it would seem. Ashes going to be fun this summer... Back to back whitewashes?:D

Was always a order for The Kiwis to win at the MCG, never expected them to get a hiding like that though.

Aussies best ODI team in the world by quite a distance it would seem. Ashes going to be fun this summer... Back to back whitewashes?biggrin.png

I think they have the team to do it, Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnstone can both swing the ball at express pace and will revel in English conditions, now I have to go to bed so I can get up in 5 hours to watch Scotland v Gibralatar.

punk.gif

Congrats to the Australians, always the most likely outcome................

Onto the Ashes with Anderson & Broad appearing to be past their peak and a batting line-up which buckles under pressure it'll be a struggle for England altho' I don't expect a whitewash. Otis Gibson is back as England's bowling coach so that might help them.

However I guess the big story will be a KP return if England struggle. Don't expect him straight back in but maybe by the third Test......................

Congrats to the Australians, always the most likely outcome................

Onto the Ashes with Anderson & Broad appearing to be past their peak and a batting line-up which buckles under pressure it'll be a struggle for England altho' I don't expect a whitewash. Otis Gibson is back as England's bowling coach so that might help them.

However I guess the big story will be a KP return if England struggle. Don't expect him straight back in but maybe by the third Test......................

I was talking to Alec Stewart on Friday at Headingley and we were talking about KP , there is something happening behind the scenes regarding KP it seems but the consensus was it would ruffle too many feathers if he was allowed back without a public statement from him.

I was talking to Alec Stewart on Friday at Headingley and we were talking about KP , there is something happening behind the scenes regarding KP it seems but the consensus was it would ruffle too many feathers if he was allowed back without a public statement from him.

Yeah I was reading Stewart's (who has just signed KP for Surrey) opinions on cricinfo earlier today.................

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/story/855541.html

• 3 weeks later...

England vs Windies 1st Test

England curently 394/9

After a bit of a collapse England seem to be on course to reach 400 after some old fashioned tail end batting from Jordan & Anderson. Except they don't with Anderson last man out with England on 399.

Last series against England for Chanderpaul - c'mon the Crab!

Switched on yesterday to hear Anderson had become England's all-time leading bowler in Test cricket and that England were on their way to winning the first Test.

How good it was to see the Windies hold out for a draw!holiday.gif

Second Test here we come...........................

Only three days and possibly another long slog for England's pace (sic) attack

and let's hope England's openers continue to strugglekenshin2.gif

Only three days

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit belated but...............

The mediocre Windies vs England - 1-1 draw - better than I expected for my team and leading to the exit of Peter Moores from his job as England coach.....................

.................which eventually lead to the appointment of Andrew Strauss as Director of Cricket for England (& Wales) which in turn lead to the apparent re-opening of the door to KP being slammed fully shut again! fish.gif

Well that's got to be the end of the KP saga with him packing his bags after scoring a career best 355n.o. for Surrey only 4 days ago, he was due to return to the lucrative world of T20 cricket in the sub-continent but apparently this has been delayed due to injury. bag.gif

Ever onwards and both of the Antipodean nations arriving (NZ already here) to play Test cricket this summer....

Edited by Bud the Baker