The Cricket Thread

shull

On 1/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, guinness said:
On 1/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Our home record has been a lot better than our away form, factor in England haven't won a Series in the Caribbean since 2004. Jason Holder took 33 wickets at an average of 12.30 in Tests last year and the team is well capable of putting up one great performance a Series. Having said that if I had to put money on it I'd go for a 1-1 draw over the three Tests.

To be honest I still fancy england 2 - 1 but who knows now.

WTF do we know? :whistle

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Not into cricket but just heard, and I don;t know the details, that Sky have agreed to share todays final with channel 4.

Great news for people who want to watch this snorefest. 

Come on England. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Not into cricket but just heard, and I don;t know the details, that Sky have agreed to share todays final with channel 4.

Great news for people who want to watch this snorefest. 

Viewing figures on Sky have been poor and with India out I reckon the cricket authorities are trying to salvage what might have been embarrassingly low viewing figures. The money (betting) seems to be focussed on the Indian 20/20 tournament these days and that is where the money (power) lies - bring back the Raj I say!

This is the twelfth iteration of the tournament and Ingurluuuund have yet to win but I fear the worst today.

In terms of quick scorers England bat deep and I feel NZ will have to bowl them out to win.

Whatever happens it won't be an Englishman who picks up the trophy as their Cap'n Eoin Morgan was poached from Ireland.

Come on "The All Whites" although I gather they play in black these days! B)

Guest TPAFKATS
Thought game swung when boult tried to catch in second last over instead of knocking ball back into play and probably give two instead of six. Brilliant entertainment though.
I thought it swung when England's new hero, who's a kiwi, got his bat in the way of a throw to the wicket and got 6 runs instead of 2 as it hit the bat and went to the boundary.

10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
12 hours ago, guinness said:
Thought game swung when boult tried to catch in second last over instead of knocking ball back into play and probably give two instead of six. Brilliant entertainment though.

I thought it swung when England's new hero, who's a kiwi, got his bat in the way of a throw to the wicket and got 6 runs instead of 2 as it hit the bat and went to the boundary.

Hope you are not casting aspersions about the england side with Irishmen. Kiwis. South Africans + west Indians in it.

14 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
16 hours ago, guinness said:

Looks like it should've been 5 runs instead of 6 - erm, it's 1966 all over again actually!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/07/15/picture-proves-umpire-error-handed-england-cricket-world-cup/

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

MCC Rule 19:8 states that, in the event of an overthrow, the runs scored are the allowance for the boundary and "the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
Looks like it should've been 5 runs instead of 6 - erm, it's 1966 all over again actually!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/07/15/picture-proves-umpire-error-handed-england-cricket-world-cup/

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg&key=a015ade9ca6a0d5d1f09868ff9c6aaf526e6963ec4411ed5bb7833ec31e0cbfd  

MCC Rule 19:8 states that, in the event of an overthrow, the runs scored are the allowance for the boundary and "the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

The cricketing hero's of yesteryear wouldve forfeited the match. Otherwise it just ain't cricket.

@faraway saint As I said yesterday probably an effort to enhance viewing figures for a match that was reckoned to be a fairly safe England victory! :rolleyes:

4.5 million Britons watch Cricket World Cup final on free-to-air

Viewing peaked for drama of super over but still lagged behind Wimbledon final

Even I didn't tune in until the 49th over of Enland's Innings - and I was so disgusted by the Stokes 2/5/6 that I didn't watch the Super overs - .so 9 balls...

57 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@faraway saint As I said yesterday probably an effort to enhance viewing figures for a match that was reckoned to be a fairly safe England victory! :rolleyes:

Even I didn't tune in until the 49th over of Enland's Innings - and I was so disgusted by the Stokes 2/5/6 that I didn't watch the Super overs - .so 9 balls...

How many, including me, watched Wimbledon? 

I was flicking between the BBC and BT Sport right enough, do I coont? :wink:

PS Nice trophy for the cricketers. 

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

How many, including me, watched Wimbledon? 

I was flicking between the BBC and BT Sport right enough, do I coont? :wink:

PS Nice trophy for the cricketers. 

It was in the article Mr. Lazy! :rolleyes:

The BBC’s parallel coverage of the Wimbledon men’s singles final between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic attracted a peak audience of 9.6 million and an average of 6 million on BBC One, beating England’s victory in the cricket on both metrics.

The cricket viewing figures were also a lot less than for a number of the matches at the Women's World Cup.

England’s victory over Scotland in the Women’s World Cup attracted an average audience of 4.6 million viewers to BBC One on Sunday evening. This set a new record for a women’s football match and left the broadcaster hopeful that millions of viewers will continue to tune in as both national teams progress through the tournament.

By comparison coverage of England’s matches in the men’s Cricket World Cup has been averaging a mere 550,000 viewers, despite cricket’s status as a traditional British summer sport and the tournament being hosted in the UK.

The ponytails are still the best part of wummin's fitba! :spud5

Edited by Bud the Baker