Jump to content

shull

The Cricket Thread

Recommended Posts


Thought game swung when boult tried to catch in second last over instead of knocking ball back into play and probably give two instead of six. Brilliant entertainment though.
I thought it swung when England's new hero, who's a kiwi, got his bat in the way of a throw to the wicket and got 6 runs instead of 2 as it hit the bat and went to the boundary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
12 hours ago, guinness said:
Thought game swung when boult tried to catch in second last over instead of knocking ball back into play and probably give two instead of six. Brilliant entertainment though.

I thought it swung when England's new hero, who's a kiwi, got his bat in the way of a throw to the wicket and got 6 runs instead of 2 as it hit the bat and went to the boundary.

Hope you are not casting aspersions about the england side with Irishmen. Kiwis. South Africans + west Indians in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done England. 

It's that easy to say. 

Too many bitter and twisted in this country.

Kemp will be along soon to congratulate our neighbours.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
16 hours ago, guinness said:
Thought game swung when boult tried to catch in second last over instead of knocking ball back into play and probably give two instead of six. Brilliant entertainment though.

I thought it swung when England's new hero, who's a kiwi, got his bat in the way of a throw to the wicket and got 6 runs instead of 2 as it hit the bat and went to the boundary.

 

Looks like it should've been 5 runs instead of 6 - erm, it's 1966 all over again actually!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/07/15/picture-proves-umpire-error-handed-england-cricket-world-cup/

 

 
 
unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

 

MCC Rule 19:8 states that, in the event of an overthrow, the runs scored are the allowance for the boundary and "the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks like it should've been 5 runs instead of 6 - erm, it's 1966 all over again actually!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/07/15/picture-proves-umpire-error-handed-england-cricket-world-cup/

 

    unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg&key=a015ade9ca6a0d5d1f09868ff9c6aaf526e6963ec4411ed5bb7833ec31e0cbfd  

MCC Rule 19:8 states that, in the event of an overthrow, the runs scored are the allowance for the boundary and "the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

 
The cricketing hero's of yesteryear wouldve forfeited the match. Otherwise it just ain't cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@faraway saint As I said yesterday probably an effort to enhance viewing figures for a match that was reckoned to be a fairly safe England victory! :rolleyes:

Quote

4.5 million Britons watch Cricket World Cup final on free-to-air

Viewing peaked for drama of super over but still lagged behind Wimbledon final

 Even I didn't tune in until the 49th over of Enland's Innings - and I was so disgusted by the Stokes 2/5/6 that I didn't watch the Super overs - .so 9 balls...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@faraway saint As I said yesterday probably an effort to enhance viewing figures for a match that was reckoned to be a fairly safe England victory! :rolleyes:

 Even I didn't tune in until the 49th over of Enland's Innings - and I was so disgusted by the Stokes 2/5/6 that I didn't watch the Super overs - .so 9 balls...

 

How many, including me, watched Wimbledon? 

I was flicking between the BBC and BT Sport right enough, do I coont? :wink:

PS Nice trophy for the cricketers. 

Edited by faraway saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

How many, including me, watched Wimbledon? 

I was flicking between the BBC and BT Sport right enough, do I coont? :wink:

PS Nice trophy for the cricketers. 

It was in the article Mr. Lazy! :rolleyes:

Quote

The BBC’s parallel coverage of the Wimbledon men’s singles final between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic attracted a peak audience of 9.6 million and an average of 6 million on BBC One, beating England’s victory in the cricket on both metrics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cricket viewing figures were also a lot less than for a number of the matches at the Women's World Cup.

Quote

England’s victory over Scotland in the Women’s World Cup attracted an average audience of 4.6 million viewers to BBC One on Sunday evening. This set a new record for a women’s football match and left the broadcaster hopeful that millions of viewers will continue to tune in as both national teams progress through the tournament.

By comparison coverage of England’s matches in the men’s Cricket World Cup has been averaging a mere 550,000 viewers, despite cricket’s status as a traditional British summer sport and the tournament being hosted in the UK.

The ponytails are still the best part of wummin's fitba! :spud5

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sport at it's very best. 

Watched the highlights after listening to it live on 5live. 

England's fantastic Test victory. 

Stokes  - what a dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How quickly his brawling has been forgiven, I know someone connected with Durham and their opinion is he is a very angry man, has all the hallmarks of a future hero to zero story in the making, media will turn on him again in the future I have no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, Bud the Baker said:
Quote

England’s victory over Scotland in the Women’s World Cup attracted an average? audience of 4.6 million viewers to BBC One on Sunday evening. This set a new record for a women’s football match and left the broadcaster hopeful that millions of viewers will continue to tune in as both national teams progress through the tournament.

By comparison coverage of England’s matches in the men’s Cricket World Cup has been averaging a mere 550,000 viewers, despite cricket’s status as a traditional British summer sport and the tournament being hosted in the UK.

The ponytails are still the best part of wummin's fitba! :spud5

Aye but the above average had better things to do with their time.

Edited by stlucifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the game staggers into "The Hundred" I was heartened to read this article about Alfred Mynn of the good old days when cricket was not always what the more prim of it's supporters would later purport it to be - I think it is an excellent article and deserves to be read for many reasons...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/nov/26/alfred-mynn-cricketing-colossus-fell-foul-amateur-code-the-spin-cricket

Quote

Mynn was, for his time, a colossus. “He was 6ft 1in in height, with massive limbs, of such vast magnitude and muscle that in good cricket condition, without one pound of superfluous flesh about him, he weighed between 18 and 19 stone

A fine figure of a man Willie Baxter erm Alfred Mynn...

He appeared as a minor character in the George McDonald-Fraser novel Flashman and the Lady... 

20851.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...