The First Team Contracts Thread

Lex

Since one of our esteemed moderating team inadvertently deleted my effort from last night, here we go again! On the back of Jason Naismith being the first player to earn a contract extension this season, i thought i'd list the contract status of all first team players currently at the club for reference. Correct my errors and i'll try keep it updated as new deals are signed.

Contracted till the end of the season:

Stephane Bahoken (loan expiring)

Conor Newton (loan expiring)

Marian Kello

David Van Zanten

Darren McGregor

Lee Mair

Jim Goodwin

Steven Thompson

Paul McGowan

Kenny McLean

Gary Teale

Danny Grainger (1 year extension option)

David Barron

Mo Yaqub

Anton Brady

Kieran Hughes

Christopher Dilo

Jon Scullion

Adam Campbell (loan expiring)

Contracted beyond the end of the season:

Jason Naismith: May 2017

John McGinn: May 2016

Sean Kelly: May 2016

Mark McAusland: May 2015

Thomas Reilly: May 2015

Gary Harkins: May 2015 (currently on loan to Oldham Athletic until May 2014)

Priorities have to be Kello and Newton. They've both became an integral part of our team but they may be leaving us very soon. Conors situation will obviously be up to Newcastle, hopefully they'll look kindly on us again and send him back up the road. Hopefully no one comes in and offers Marian more money!

The next player i'd love to see us sign up is Sean Kelly, he's been tremendous recently and i hope he joins his fellow young full back in penning a long term deal. After him the next 3 players i'd like us to get signed up are Dilo, McGowan and McLean. They're all young enough and good enough. I imagine Gowser will play his situation the same as he did last season, leave it to the last minute and weigh up all options before deciding. I think and hope Chris and Kenny will repay us by signing new deals before the end of January.

That leaves the over 30 brigade: Goodwin, Teale, Mair, Van Zanten and Thompson. I think and hope Goody will stay, but it's hard to tell with the others. I'd be surprised if Vanzy and Teale were still here next year, i think Mair could go on for a couple of years but given his fractious relationship with the management he'll probably move on. Then there's Thommo. He will be 36 next season, i think he's good enough to play at this level for another 2 years at least beyond this one if he wants to, will he want to though?

Edited by Lex

I reckon Kello will sign until at least end of the season. If rumours are to be believed that Newcastle are sending Adam Campbell up here I reckon that we are more than likely to see Newton remain until the end of the season. McLean and McGowan I think we might struggle to hold on to, it'd be very nice if we could however! I reckon Dilo and Kelly will sign on for another 2/3 seasons. Darren McGregor will surely repay our loyalty by signing again, perhaps on a 2 year deal? As for Thommo and Teale I reckon another year each (I'm sure there's that option in both contracts?)

I hope we offer new terms to: Goddohawk, Kello, McGregor, Goodwin, Gowser, McLean, Kelly, Teale & Dilo. I'd like to see us keep N3w2on as well, if possible.

Haven't really seen enough of Yaqub, Brady, Dillon, Hughes & Scullion in the first team to judge whether they'd be worth keeping.

Wouldn't be bothered to lose Cornell, Caprice, Mair, Grainger & Barron. Vanzy is a tricky one though, he's not good enough to be our first choice but I'd keep him here as backup for young Naismith.

I'd also be happy for us to cut our losses on Harkins and offload him in January.

Is Thommos contract not an autcomatic extension after 20 games like Vanzys was last year? doesnt change the fact his contract is up at end of the season but there is zero chance of him not getting to the 20 game mark.

Think Teales contract was the same. Possibly Grainger also?

I expect Mair, Barron, Vanzy and Teale wont be offered new deals (assuming GT doesnt play 20 games)

Dilo, McLean and Kelly i would hope would sign new deals by turn of the year (kenny being the only doubt if he would accept a deal)

McGregor, Goodwin, Gowser (if he wants to stay) i would imagine would sign up a bit later in the season.

Edited by foxbar_bud

Since one of our esteemed moderating team inadvertently deleted my effort from last night, here we go again! On the back of Jason Naismith being the first player to earn a contract extension this season, i thought i'd list the contract status of all first team players currently at the club for reference. Correct my errors and i'll try keep it updated as new deals are signed.

Contracted till January:

Marian Kello

David Cornell (loan expiring)

David Van Zanten

Darren McGregor

Lee Mair

Jim Goodwin

Steven Thompson

Paul McGowan

Kenny McLean

Sean Kelly

Kealan Dillon

Gary Teale

David Barron

Mo Yaqub

Anton Brady

Kieran Hughes

Christopher Dilo

Jon Scullion

Jake Caprice (loan expiring)

Gary Harkins: May 2015

Priorities have to be Kello and Newton. They've both became an integral part of our team but they may be leaving us very soon. Conors situation will obviously be up to Newcastle, hopefully they'll look kindly on us again and send him back up the road. Hopefully no one comes in and offers Marian more money!

The next player i'd love to see us sign up is Sean Kelly, he's been tremendous recently and i hope he joins his fellow young full back in penning a long term deal. After him the next 3 players i'd like us to get signed up are Dilo, McGowan and McLean. They're all young enough and good enough. I imagine Gowser will play his situation the same as he did last season, leave it to the last minute and weigh up all options before deciding. I think and hope Chris and Kenny will repay us by signing new deals before the end of January.

That leaves the over 30 brigade: Goodwin, Teale, Mair, Van Zanten and Thompson. I think and hope Goody will stay, but it's hard to tell with the others. I'd be surprised if Vanzy and Teale were still here next year, i think Mair could go on for a couple of years but given his fractious relationship with the management he'll probably move on. Then there's Thommo. He will be 36 next season, i think he's good enough to play at this level for another 2 years at least beyond this one if he wants to, will he want to though?

Is it just me, or do we have an extremely large playing squad???

If you add up all those players plus Bahoken who appears to b left out then we have 27 players.

Bear in mind only around 14 players are really needed on any given saturday afternoon, then this seems excessive.

I used to think that all a squad needed was 3 goalkeepers. 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 strikers. That would mean that a squad should have no more than 23 players. Even Arsenal dont have this much players.

Surely, if we trimmed the squad by around 8 players that wee really dont see having any future here (Not nameing names) and added say 3 good players on those 8 wages then i think we really would have a team that is capable of not only challenging top 6 but even getting that extra european place that is up for grabs before sevco come crawling back in.

As long as we keep the top players like kello, mcgregor, goodwin,newton, mcgowan, mclean and tommohawk then i think next year could be a really big year for us as long as we get those good 3 players in question.

Is it just me, or do we have an extremely large playing squad???

If you add up all those players plus Bahoken who appears to b left out then we have 27 players.

Bear in mind only around 14 players are really needed on any given saturday afternoon, then this seems excessive.

I used to think that all a squad needed was 3 goalkeepers. 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 strikers. That would mean that a squad should have no more than 23 players. Even Arsenal dont have this much players.

Surely, if we trimmed the squad by around 8 players that wee really dont see having any future here (Not nameing names) and added say 3 good players on those 8 wages then i think we really would have a team that is capable of not only challenging top 6 but even getting that extra european place that is up for grabs before sevco come crawling back in.

As long as we keep the top players like kello, mcgregor, goodwin,newton, mcgowan, mclean and tommohawk then i think next year could be a really big year for us as long as we get those good 3 players in question.

Agreed. 27 is way too many.

We sould be concentrating on having about 18 first team standard players plus kids.

Yet another reason why football clubs need to stop talking about financial problems.

We sould be concentrating on having about 18 first team standard players plus kids.

Yet another reason why football clubs need to stop talking about financial problems.

Yacob, Brady, Hughes, Dillon, Scullion are kids. Even Kelly, Reilly and Naismith could hardly be considered established first teamers at the start of the season.

That does leave roughly 20 standard players as we started the season. Having so many youngsters breaking through, like Kelly and Naismith have done this season and competing for places is only a positive.

Its about right. I think about 8 of those are youngsters and not in the team though so i have it at 19 in with a decent shout.

It just shows that we are really pushing for youth development. Pity we are tight with contract lengths tho.

My first post. I am delighted that it should be on a positive thread! As I recall we were desperate for the Management to sign players to replace the exodus at the end of last season - what happens .... players are signed but not used. Anyone seen any signs of regular places for Harkins, Caprice, Bahoken. But we are seeing the emergence of Kelly and, in my opinion the best prospect of all, Naismith who is doing a great job at right back when his true position is centre back. Add in McGinn, McLean, Newton and Dilo and we have really exciting young element worthy of our encouragement.

Perhaps we should let Danny do his best (and I was a doubter) for he is much closer to the real action and has inside knowledge that we don't have access to. In my experience fans are the wrong people to go anywhere near the management or control of a club.

Teale must stay. Still fit and our best crosser of a ball. Also v intelligent as shown in the cup final. Fitness is no issue and he is an invaluable asset for us,

Agreed we should keep him. He's a bit of a luxury when you play one up front though and don't have a couple of midfielders who can get close to 10 goals each a season. Goodwin won't score many. So you would be left with three midfielders to score somewhere around 30 league goals which seems unlikely with our current personnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Contracted till January:

Marian Kello

David Cornell (loan expiring)

David Van Zanten

Darren McGregor

Lee Mair

Jim Goodwin

Steven Thompson

Paul McGowan

Kenny McLean

Stephane Bahoken (loan expiring)

Kealan Dillon

Gary Teale

David Barron

Mo Yaqub

Anton Brady

Kieran Hughes

Christopher Dilo

Jon Scullion

Jake Caprice (loan expiring)

Sean Kelly: May 2016

Gary Harkins: May 2015

Newton looks set to leave in January, rumour is Newcastle aren't offering him a contract so he wants to play in England after the window in an aim to win a contract down south next season.

Newton looks set to leave in January, rumour is Newcastle aren't offering him a contract so he wants to play in England after the window in an aim to win a contract down south next season.

Not according to an article in the Herald on Saturday. Apparently Newcastle feel he is gaining invaluable experience with us and are keen for him to remain until the end of the season. The same article also said that talks to keep a hold of Kello had so far been unsuccessful.

Not according to an article in the Herald on Saturday. Apparently Newcastle feel he is gaining invaluable experience with us and are keen for him to remain until the end of the season. The same article also said that talks to keep a hold of Kello had so far been unsuccessful.

Whether he stays or goes(obviously I'd prefer him to extend his contract till the end of the season)I hope it's sorted one way or the other nice and early.

The last thing we want is it dragging on throughout January as it did with Dummett last season.

Would be a great pity if we lost both Newton and Kello in January, but there was always a distinct possibility this would happen.

As Rab has said, best to know sooner rather than later so provision can be made.

Given the situation with Bahoken, the lack of action for Caprice and Cornell, and even with Grainger and Harkins not featuring nearly as often as I'm sure they'd expect, we could be looking at significant movement in January.

Hopefully we can keep our decent form going as this will assist any efforts to bring players in during the window.

Edited by Drew

• 2 weeks later...

with cambell coming in I think we only really need to make sure we keep newton and kello, id give kello the money hes looking for as hes been outstanding so far and having him between the sticks could make or break our top six aspirations!

How do we know how much Kello is looking for, how do we know what other clubs have been watching him and how much they may be willing to pay?

Take Samson - according to the baker's grapevine he was on £700 p.w. with us last season and we were willing to increase that to £1000 p.w. but he went to Killie who offered £1400 p.w.

Edited by Bud the Baker