Dundee United V St Mirren Scottish Cup 5Th Rd 8/2/14

shull

Hope everyone attending game has their flat cap to wear in honour of our new signing

I'm a wee bit perturbed about this as I generally wear a flat cap - often to games - and it will now appear that I am simply a fawning EDD fanboy.

On reflection, what's the problem? Bring/put it on!

Fawning? I'll assume, on blutos behalf, that was a typo and you meant "fanny"? ;)

Is Bluto's name being taken in vain or even vein? I'm sure he'll respond but having shared the same Alma Mater with him I can vouch for the fact that he never confused a fanny with anything. And for those who didn't study Latin like what I did, Alma Mater is not an old wummin.

Our record against Dundee United in the Scottish Cup has been pretty special over the years.

Off the top of my head, without exact dates…

There was the 4-1 game in 1977 with the 16,000 gate

We beat them 2-0 at Tannadice in the late 70s again I think.

We beat them 1-0 at Love Street in the quarter final in the early 80s with a Fitzpatrick volley.

We beat them in another tie at Love Street I think with Somner scoring the winner?

There was the relatively recent cup replay victory with Andy Dorman’s winner.

And of course the 87 cup final…

The only blot I think was the 4-1 home defeat in the 80s…

I make that 6 wins and 1 defeat.

By Tuesday morning I believe it will be 7 wins…

Almost correct... you missed one tie in 2007 where we lost 3-2. Your post forced me into some research and i came up with this post for PNB:

Our modern era Scottish cup record against the Terrors is pretty unbelievable. In 1977, we were in the second tier and they were in the top tier, they came to Love St in the third round and we thumped them 4-1. We got them in the third round again in 1979, this time at Tannadice, we went up the road and beat them 2-0. Two years later, we get them again, this time in the 1981 quarter final. They come to Love St, Tony Fitzpatrick scores a raker and we win 1-0. The pattern continued, fast forward another two years to 1983 and we get them again in the third round at Love St. Doug Somner gets the winner this time, 1-0 St Mirren.

So we drew them in 77, 79, 81 and 83 in the Scottish Cup, and we won every single tie. Did we draw them in 85? Why, of course we did. Dundee United won this time sadly, 4-1 in the quarter final at Love St.

Of course the bi annual tie continued on to 1987. This time, it was the final. Dundee United were one of the top sides not only in Scotland at this stage, but they were one of the top teams in Europe. They had just lost the UEFA Cup final to Gothenburgh and were challenging for the title. We were an ageing bottom half team, the legacy of Fergies furies was slowly ebbing away. We won though, Ian Ferguson grabbed the extra time winner.

This glory seemed to satisfy the cup gods and thus the biannual Scottish cup battles ended, we never played each other in the competition again until 2007. Dundee United won this one 3-2. We met again the very next year however, and normality was restored. The Love St tie finished 0-0 but Andy Dorman grabbed the winner at Tannadice in the replay, we won 1-0 and the Saints marched on.

So there's our teams modern era cup story, it's quite a story. The remarkable part of it is we have played each other 8 times in the competition since 1977, the Saints have won 6 and United have won only 2. United really know how special a football club we are in the cups more than anyone. This dominance can't continue, can it?