Dundee United V St Mirren Scottish Cup 5Th Rd 8/2/14

shull

Think the full backs struggled today, and Newton was poor as well.

We need cover for RB LB and a centre half that can kick arse.

Too lightweight for me at back. But then we all know that eh !

Newton has been poor most of the season, but then his best play has always been as an attacking central midfielder.

We need to get rid of Longwell and all the wee boys who do the coaching.

We need to get in a head of the youth system who knows what he's doing. We need some proper coaches. We need some ex-pros involved.

Another attack on our youth system.

Coming across as a bitter parent here

On the wee boys coaching it will be cost.

In fact if a youth player loses a ball it comes out their wages

I know 1 ex-pro who helps out

Do we have scouts in the Paisley area?

McNamara probably spent the past 7 games on the touchline urging his men on...didn't enable them to win any of them.

True. Still 5th in the league on 35 points and in the cup quarter final, eh?

When I look at recent games and see Locke and McNamara actively encouraging and being vocal on the touchline, and then see Danny sitting on his arse staring at his shoes, it makes me ask more questions than simply the 'sitting on his arse' question. It makes me wonder how someone who sits on his arse during games can motivate, inspire, and get respect from his squad on a daily basis.

Danny looks like he either couldn't care, or simply knows he's not going to be here next season. I agree with an earlier poster - I think Ian Jenkins was the brains of the two in partnership 1, and I think Tommy Craig is the far more capable man in partnership 2.

At least look like you give a fcuk Danny.

Just my opinion.

Newton has been poor most of the season, but then his best play has always been as an attacking central midfielder.

Newton is a good player, the team is being built around McGowan who has been piss poor and is hopeless playing of Thompson, Newton and McLean are wasted out wide, both can drive with the ball and shoot, something which McGowan doesn't do, it isn't working.

This is him at Tannadice today, no words needed...........

Posted Image

'Dear Lord , if you can hear me now , please can you ask the guys on B&W army forum to stop knickerwetting and realise we are a team trying to operate within a small budget to safeguard the future of this wonderful football club , amen'

Another disappointing day for saints fans. The thing that really stuck out for me today was the lack of fight McGowan newton and McLean really are pea hearts I am surprised big Thommo and Goodwin stand for it . We missed wee McGinn big time. The Dundee utd boys got stuck into challenges then were snarling at the ref if the decision did not go their way. I don't want saints players arguing with refs but at least their players looked like they cared. Only positive was djemba djemba looks like he will b a great signing once he gets his fitness up

It was always going to be a tough game with United today, however considering Celtic got put out yesterday I expected our players to be up for it, but not one of them seemed to show any real fight and desire.

Lennon has to take responsibility for f'king up the team line up in the first place...

Whilst he didn't have any option but to play the four at the back, the way he set out the team meant that Kelly had no protection on the left and anytime he ventured forward it allowed United to exploit the space behind him. The same pretty much goes for Naismith as Newton is hopeless at right midfield. This has been evident since his first ever game for us when he got hooked at half time at home to Ross County! Either play him in the center or don't play him at all! It's a shame as they are decent young full backs and their confidence must be taking a right hit just now.

I thought McAusland and McGregor both had a decent game. Only thing that concerns me with McGregor, is whilst he is a great tackler and great in the air, his positioning is terrible sometimes, especially in the penalty box when he's defending an incoming ball. I've said it a few times this season, whoever he is marking seems to be able to move to get some more space where as McGregor stands stationary.

I didn't have a problem with Djemba-Djemba and Goodwin both starting, but for that to work effectively we needed someone with some pace to allow us to break forward whilst Djemba and Goodwin done the dirty work. Campbell should have been on from the start playing wide on the right. I wasn't that impressed with McLean other than a couple of good runs that he did, felt he lost the ball far too many times, but that might just be down to match fitness.

McGowan needs to be dropped, he has been awful this season. Whilst I appreciate he has had other things on his mind, we're paying him to do a job and he's just not doing it. I don't see any other club bigger than us taking him at the end of the season. He's not a young player with potential now, he's in his late 20's and should be peaking.

Thompson hasn't been great either recently, but as soon as Teale came on and got a couple of balls in I felt he became a bit dangerous. But he was isolated being up front himself once again. Anytime he won the ball in the air, it was a simple job of the United defence regrouping and then building another attack.

Overall, Lennon got the team set up totally wrong but nothing new there. The players didn't seem up for it. There was a lack of fight and desire, but perhaps that's because Lennon's man management skills are apparently dreadful,

I spoke to SG earlier on in the season (before the Partick Thistle game where we got beat 2-1) and he made it clear to me that Lennon was under pressure and Lennon knew the pressure he was under. I think everyone expected him to get the bullet after that game, but something must have happened for the BOD to keep him on, and after he managed to get a few points on the board, I can see why they've thought we might be ok till the end of the season. If we continue like we are, we will NOT be ok and relegation this season will be a disaster for us.

It is the BOD responsibility to act in the interests of ALL Shareholders. If they are not sacking Lennon because the group that owns 52% of the shares are hoping to sell the club shortly and the potential buyer wants to bring in their own person, then they are not acting in the interest of St Mirren or the Shareholders. Whilst the club is up for the sale, the day to day running of the club should not be affected as a result.

Going forward big changes need to be made. I'd personally go for 4-4-2 and drop Goodwin into the defence just to have a bit more experience around Naismith and Kelly. Djemba-Djemba and McGinn center of midfield. Teale and Wylde on the wings getting behind the full backs and getting the ball into the box for Thompson and Campbell. Whilst playing Campbell up front, I'd play him more on the right side, him and Teale both running about that area of the park the opposition's left back would be knackered after 20 minutes!

This is him at Tannadice today, no words needed...........

222573-frustration-for-st-mirren-manager

shocking picture that sums up the total lack of passion at our club from top to bottom, it's similar to a tony Mowbray photo we've all laughed at,

FFS Saints get your finger out, everyone ! Not just the manager but the players and the board who seem comfortable with this pish while their main interest is on bailing out and recouping their cash (which is fair enough) but this is phukin killing our club

DO SOMETHING. . . ANYTHING

I'd even settle for being able to take phukin throw ins or somethin really radical like markin the opposition when they have a throw in

pathetic !

Really disappointed with today. A few questions needing answered. Why does he persist with certain players who look out of sorts with no confidence? What has happened to our passing game, have we abandoned it? Why bring Teale on before Campbell given the amount of games he has missed then bring Campbell on with only minutes left and why does EVERY other team in the league look miles fitter than us?

Did Andy Robertson have the worlds worst case of BO? Simply because anyone in black and white wouldn't go within 5 yards of him.

Absolutely no fight in the team today. Alarmingly, in a Cup tie which, had we won, gave us a great chance to make it to the semis.

If there was a Champions League for constantly shooting ourselves in the foot, then we would win it year on year.

First off, I'm no Lennon fan and would be quite happy if he simply chucked it tonight. I think he's a poor manager at this level who, the wonderful day at Hampden notwithstanding, has regularly underachieved with a good group of players and I think we are in real danger of going onto the playoff if he is allowed to continue.

That being said, he came across as a really likeable guy at the Cup Final celebration night and I'm informed, by a good source that I trust, he works his @rse off on a daily basis to bring success to the club. With that in mind it would be good if the shit slinging didn't become personal IMO as that would be unfair on the guy.

Edited by DLBud

First game for a while; some thoughts; kello looks solid, 2 full backs looked lacking in confidence but were prob up and against 2 of the best wingers in league, mcgregor and mcausland defend well but distribution is pretty crap, thought Newton and McLean were poor and for all the abuse McGowan is getting, he didn't hide, worked hard and always wanted the ball. We missed McGinns drive and for all his lack of game time, Teale managed to beat his man a couple of times

First off, I'm no Lennon fan and would be quite happy if he simply chucked it tonight. I think he's a poor manager at this level who, the wonderful day at Hampden notwithstanding, has regularly underachieved with a good group of players and I think we are in real danger of going onto the playoff if he is allowed to continue. That being said, he came across as a really likeable guy at the Cup Final celebration night and I'm informed, by a good source that I trust, he works his @rse off on a daily basis to bring success to the club. With that in mind it would be good if the shit slinging didn't become personal IMO as that would be unfair on the guy.

what does the DL stand for?whistling.gif

Someone else mentioned it but I think Danny knows he won't be here next season and doesn't give a f**k anymore. 6 wins since last March is totally unacceptable and he should have been sacked before Xmas. Why do the board think they can take the piss and keep him in charge, when is so blatantly clueless and out of his depth?

I just want this season to end - f**king brutal.

On today's game only Goodwin & McGregor get a pass. Goodwin at least tried and Darren I thought was excellent. Naismith, Newton, Thompson were all horrendous.

How he could leave Campbell on the bench for 80 odd mins was bizarre. How Newton continues to start is also utterly bizarre - aside from his goal in the cup final he has contributed virtually nothing - I don't think he's had more than 3 good games for us, ever (certainly none in 2014).

So, usual pish. Do our board care? Do they go to games ? Do they like watching us getting humped every week?

So many questions on this post and no clear answers!

Square pegs, round holes. His insistence on playing central midfielders in wider areas is astonishing. I'm not even sure Danny knew what formation he was playing today. The reason why Gowser has been woeful this year is because he has absolutely nobody to aim for when he gets the ball high upfield. Thompson simply doesn't have the movement or pace to play up top himself, he's a target man not a poacher who desperately needs a partner. McGowan isnt the answer.

Kello

Naismith MacGregor MacCausland Kelly

Djemba Djemba/Goodwin McGinn

Teale Wylde

Campbell/Magennis Thompson

Kello

Naismith MacGregor Macausland Kelly

Djemba Djemba/Goodwin McGinn Mclean

Mcgowan

We should really be playing a variation of these two with the players we have at out disposal.

Edited by Dan Is The Man

Square pegs, round holes. His insistence on playing central midfielders in wider areas is astonishing. I'm not even sure Danny knew what formation he was playing today. The reason why Gowser has been woeful this year is because he has absolutely nobody to aim for when he gets the ball high upfield. Thompson simply doesn't have the movement or pace to play up top himself, he's a target man not a poacher who desperately needs a partner. McGowan isnt the answer.

Kello

Naismith MacGregor MacCausland Kelly

Djemba Djemba/Goodwin McGinn

Teale Wylde

Kello

Naismith MacGregor Macausland Kelly

Djemba Djemba/Goodwin McGinn Mclean

Mcgowan

We should really be playing a variation of these two with the players we have at out disposal.

And what do we do when injuries, suspensions and cup rules didn't allow us to field either ofthose lineups?

You have to make do, hence square pegs, round holes. McGinn and Wylde were big misses today.

Edited by NeilPar72