Dundee United V St Mirren Scottish Cup 5Th Rd 8/2/14

shull

Well, my 3rd game this season and at least we scored a goal in this one.

Started poorly, United were certainly up for this and no surprise when they scored. Our new saviour certainly looked as if he was running in quicksand trying to keep up with the United player but it was nothing they didn’t deserve.

Thought we came back into it a wee bit but still never looked liked scoring. Soft penalty, watched it again when I got home, but still enough to be given. Was nervous when Mclean started with the 2 step run up, I’m not a fan, but a superbly taken penalty.

Second half they. Again murdered us. Not read many of the posts but no-one seems to have mentioned their goal was a result of a massive slice (See what I did there) of luck? The “pass” before he cross was a complete miss-kick but again, nothing United didn’t deserve.

After 15-20 minutes we seemed to settle again but apart from Thompsons header I was sitting more in hope than belief we could score.

Disappointing as they are not great but neither are we.

I’m pretty sure with McGinn and our other 2 recent signings things could have been different but that’s just making stuff up and that would never do.

Footnote: Noticed Terry Butcher was in his dugout for the whole game on Saturday, he must be shit.

Being moved 10 yards to the right shouldn't mean he can't complete a simple 5 yard pass.

It sounds so easy...

But not so easy when you have opposition players trying to win the ball from you and mark the guy you are trying to pass to...

We shouldn't be trying to play 5 yard passes in midfield anyway. What is the point?

The fucking ball up the pitch!

main observations from watching it on the telly were...

Cheesy looked assured, anticipated and broke things up. benefit of having the two holding midfielders (D&G) infront of him.

McGregor f**ked up a series of passes and blocks - whits going on there

Newton - panicked unnecessarily, mis-hit, miss-timed pass after pass turning attacks into goal opps for the arabs...

Thommo still needs someone to play off him, it's too far forward for Gowser too shine, his best work starts a few yards further back taking possesion and creating, not feeding off Thommo knock-downs.

It sounds so easy...

But not so easy when you have opposition players trying to win the ball from you and mark the guy you are trying to pass to...

We shouldn't be trying to play 5 yard passes in midfield anyway. What is the point?

The f**king ball up the pitch!

Aye all those daft teams like Barcelona Arsenal and Bayern Munich playing 5 yard passes in midfield are getting nowhere...

I'm actually quite surprised by the severity of the negative reaction towards yesterday's match, we lost 2-1 at Tannadice, hardly a disaster.

We need to remember we were given a very tough draw away at Dundee a United, a team with a far bigger budget than ourselves. This and the fact that we were without three players who had started our last game ( a decent performance at Celtic Park ) one of whom who has been our POTY this season - McGinn. This forced us into starting two players who hadn't started a match in 2014 ( McLean and Djemba-Djemba ).

Of course the finger could be pointed at the management for their poor squad management - which it has been - but we were very handicapped going into a very tough game yesterday.

Despite all this we were never out the match and on another day we could have got a replay. Thommo and McGregor both had decent second half chances. I actually thought we played quite well for periods, I wouldn't have yesterday's game as even in the worst ten of performances I've seen from us this season, compared to our last visit to Tannadice for example, it was a significant improvement.

One criticism I would level at the manager was the late introduction of Campbell. I've actually been quite disappointed in Campbell since the Hibs game, he looks like he's not going to have the impact we were hoping, however he certainly has pace and is a good option from the bench. Yesterday it was clear that was what we needed in the last 20 minutes. During the game we joked that Lennon will probably do what he did at Parkhead and wait till 5 odd minutes to go before bringing him on, not actually expecting him to do that. It was Celtic away and it was a league game, he's surely not going to be as conservative again in a cup game...? We were wrong, he actually brought Campbell on later yesterday than he did at Parkhead.

We did learn one thing at the final whistle, it effectively ended Lennon's reign in charge. He now doesn't have a case for a new contract. He needed another good cup run or significant improvement in the league to earn a new deal and he has achieved neither and he's also wasted huge amounts of the clubs money on duds. He won't be here next season.

Infact this is our worst performance in the cups for 7 years. In every single season since 06/07 we have made at least one quarter final, this year we have made none. Couple this with the terrible league form and there is simply no case to make for Danny to continue in his role beyond May.

I see no point in making a change before then actually, it's too late and it would be unfair on the new manager being lumbered with such a imbalanced squad.

We just need to cross our fingers and hope that at least one of County or Thistle have a poorer run in to the season than us.

It sounds so easy...

But not so easy when you have opposition players trying to win the ball from you and mark the guy you are trying to pass to...

The fucking ball up the pitch!

Not having that i'm afraid. Centre of Midfield is a busier area of the park than the wings, therefore it should be easier to retain the ball out wide? Regardless of that, he is on a Premier League Club's books (No idea why), the very minimum expected of him is to pass the ball to the guys in black and white at least a couple of times per week.

For me, the whole point of playing 2 holding mids is to allow 3 attacking mids to support Thommo. So, for example djemba-djemba and Goodwin hold allowing Campbell, Gowser, and Wylde support the attack. Yesterday though Newton, McLean and even Gowser sometimes we're far too deep and left Thommo isolated. If DL sticks with D&G he must play 3 from Wilde,Gowser,Campbell & Teale. We left it far too late to bring on Campbell and Teale yesterday and the formation we started with was just plain wrong. Still onwards and upwards.

Perhaps now with no players " cup tied" and others coming back to fitness we can concentrate on getting the points need for safety. If that's achieved then we really need to evaluate our club right through every department as, like many others, I'm sick of white knuckling it to survive season after season. With so much ability in our squad it's scandalous that we struggle as badly as we do. Danny is the obvious target for blame but dont the senior players have their say in the tactics and shape of the team? A good manager will not only listen to senior staff, he will actively seek their input. Oh to be a fly on the wall at Dannys team talk

I'm actually quite surprised by the severity of the negative reaction towards yesterday's match, we lost 2-1 at Tannadice, hardly a disaster.

On paper you are quite right Lex. Hardly a disaster. I think the problem was not so much being beaten but not giving a good account of ourselves against a team that could have been beaten and looked very ordinary. Some individuals had stinkers and should maybe not have been in the starting 11 (eg Newton who has been poor for weeks now) and many seemed like amateurs in their passing and closing down and defending. Tactics, or maybe the personnel trying the tactics, were clearly not working but changes made were far too little and far too late. I thought we were lucky to go in all-square at half-time but we did not turn up for the second half and were overran IMHO. Kello saved us from a more significant final score.

Overall a day of great frustration. If both teams had played well then I could have accepted the score more easily. But such a poor performance against an ordinary team was hard to take. Even with a reduced squad we had the players to win that game or at least give a far better account of ourselves.

Edited by Sonny

For me, the whole point of playing 2 holding mids is to allow 3 attacking mids to support Thommo. So, for example djemba-djemba and Goodwin hold allowing Campbell, Gowser, and Wylde support the attack. Yesterday though Newton, McLean and even Gowser sometimes we're far too deep and left Thommo isolated. If DL sticks with D&G he must play 3 from Wilde,Gowser,Campbell & Teale. We left it far too late to bring on Campbell and Teale yesterday and the formation we started with was just plain wrong. Still onwards and upwards.

no place for mcginn or maclean?

The problem is not losing to United it's not beating Patrick at home twice it's losing at killie and stjohnstone and then again v hearts. It's not good enough all the rest of the time and that's what fans are angry about. The cup offered a fantastic chance but one we never looked like taking. We were well beaten but it's the other games when we still can't win that's killing us. Someone said 8 wins since the cup final last year? If so it's a bloody disgrace

If DL sticks with D&G he must play 3 from Wilde,Gowser,Campbell & Teale.

No place for mcginn or maclean?

Neither gives you the attacking options of the four mentioned, if it was up to me though I would start djemba-djemba and McGinn with 3 of the others.

Someone else mentioned it but I think Danny knows he won't be here next season and doesn't give a f**k anymore. 6 wins since last March is totally unacceptable and he should have been sacked before Xmas. Why do the board think they can take the piss and keep him in charge, when is so blatantly clueless and out of his depth?

I just want this season to end - f**king brutal.

On today's game only Goodwin & McGregor get a pass. Goodwin at least tried and Darren I thought was excellent. Naismith, Newton, Thompson were all horrendous.

How he could leave Campbell on the bench for 80 odd mins was bizarre. How Newton continues to start is also utterly bizarre - aside from his goal in the cup final he has contributed virtually nothing - I don't think he's had more than 3 good games for us, ever (certainly none in 2014).

So, usual pish. Do our board care? Do they go to games ? Do they like watching us getting humped every week?

So many questions on this post and no clear answers!

And Danny told you this when ?????

Utter pish and another example of over reaction and venom.

Common trait throughout this thread.

Poor stuff.

Edited by thomsons dropped it