Dundee United V St Mirren Scottish Cup 5Th Rd 8/2/14

shull

Most people in the Paisley ones take a free coffee or tea, you pay for the cans of Coke and sit down and watch you could put a 50p bet on the game, no one bothers , the shop outside Central in Union Street show all Sky games.

cheers dude, wonder if I'll get funny looks with my saints flat cap on.

Tough to call the team on Sunday, I'd go something like:

Kello

Naismith

Cheesy

McGregor

Kelly

Goodwin

Djemba-Djemba

Newton

McGowan

Campbell

Thommo

This seems to be the default starting line-up for Sunday's game but there has to be fitness worries over Djemba2, McGowan (if available) & Thompson. Then there's the bench from the Celtic game, Campbell's already starting which leaves (in addition to Dilo) McLean (himself recovering from injury), Reilly, DVZ and two U-20's who have never started a first team match. Perhaps Bahoken will be available but he hasn't played since he went off against the Fakes almost a month ago so it seems unlikely.

This is not a dig at you or your selection, just my reflection on the strength of the team we will be able to field against Utd. this weekend. Maybe it's the eternal pessimist who resides within me but I will be pleasantly surprised if we are still in the Cup Sunday teatime.

Edited by Bud the Baker

This seems to be the default starting line-up for Sunday's game but there has to be fitness worries over Djemba2, McGowan (if available) & Thompson. Then there's the bench from the Celtic game, Campbell's already starting which leaves (in addition to Dilo) McLean, Reilly, DVZ and two U-20's who have never started a first team match. Perhaps Bahoken will be available but he hasn't played since he went off against the Fakes almost a month ago so it seems unlikely.

This is not a dig at you or your selection, just my reflection on the strength of the team we will be able to field against Utd. this weekend. Maybe it's the eternal pessimist who resides within me but I will be pleasantly surprised if we are still in the Cup Sunday teatime.

Don't think the subs bench is a huge problem, Mclean can replace any of the attacking midfielders as could Reilly. DVZ can replace Naismith/Kelly or play the sitting midfield role if needed and Goodwin can play CB if needed. The only position we don't have cover for is Thommo but that has the been the case all season, once Bahoken is fit then he can play that role.

This seems to be the default starting line-up for Sunday's game but there has to be fitness worries over Djemba2, McGowan (if available) & Thompson. Then there's the bench from the Celtic game, Campbell's already starting which leaves (in addition to Dilo) McLean, Reilly, DVZ and two U-20's who have never started a first team match. Perhaps Bahoken will be available but he hasn't played since he went off against the Fakes almost a month ago so it seems unlikely.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Glass half empty. nologo.gif

Don't think the subs bench is a huge problem, Mclean can replace any of the attacking midfielders as could Reilly. DVZ can replace Naismith/Kelly or play the sitting midfield role if needed and Goodwin can play CB if needed. The only position we don't have cover for is Thommo but that has the been the case all season, once Bahoken is fit then he can play that role.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Glass half full. nologo.gif

Froggie...............empty between the ears. 1eye.gif

At times this season our starting line up has been pretty predictable and that has helped the opposition in sussing how to handle us. Maybe that has changed now. Campell and Wylde have made promising starts, Magennis will hopefully fit in and Djemba Djemba is bound to play for at least part of the game. it makes this match much more intriguing. Our biggest problem hasn't changed, though. Even without the new guys, when our boys are in the mood we can beat teams like Dundee United as we've shown. But will we ever learn how to do it consistently? I'm hopeful about Sunday and looking forward to it.

At times this season our starting line up has been pretty predictable and that has helped the opposition in sussing how to handle us. Maybe that has changed now. Campell and Wylde have made promising starts, Magennis will hopefully fit in and Djemba Djemba is bound to play for at least part of the game. it makes this match much more intriguing. Our biggest problem hasn't changed, though. Even without the new guys, when our boys are in the mood we can beat teams like Dundee United as we've shown. But will we ever learn how to do it consistently? I'm hopeful about Sunday and looking forward to it.

I hope you're not less hopeful after i remind you that wylde and magennis are cup-tied

I hope you're not less hopeful after i remind you that wylde and magennis are cup-tied

I had perhaps overlooked that minor detail. Djemba Djemba and Campbell will do nicely. I still think we're not as predictable as we were once. (Apart from the results!) I honestly still feel quietly confident. If nothing else it annoys the so-called St,Mirren fans who love it when we lose. The usual suspects will typically deny this.

I had perhaps overlooked that minor detail. Djemba Djemba and Campbell will do nicely. I still think we're not as predictable as we were once. (Apart from the results!) I honestly still feel quietly confident. If nothing else it annoys the so-called St,Mirren fans who love it when we lose. The usual suspects will typically deny this.

I'm hopeful you're right. Playing 4,2,3,1. We should be stronger at the back as well as allowing Campbell, Gowser & Wilde (when available) to run at defences.

This seems to be the default starting line-up for Sunday's game but there has to be fitness worries over Djemba2, McGowan (if available) & Thompson. Then there's the bench from the Celtic game, Campbell's already starting which leaves (in addition to Dilo) McLean (himself recovering from injury), Reilly, DVZ and two U-20's who have never started a first team match. Perhaps Bahoken will be available but he hasn't played since he went off against the Fakes almost a month ago so it seems unlikely.

This is not a dig at you or your selection, just my reflection on the strength of the team we will be able to field against Utd. this weekend. Maybe it's the eternal pessimist who resides within me but I will be pleasantly surprised if we are still in the Cup Sunday teatime.

I certainly agree with your last sentence. We are huge under dogs for the game on Sunday. Dundee United are a bigger club than us with a far bigger budget and they are at home. Oh, and we will be missing 3 of our last starting 11 due to suspension/cup rules. We will also have to start at least one player who is not fully fit (Djemba-Djemba or McLean) and our bench will include at least three kids with virtually no experience of senior football.

Even if we had a full squad available and fully fit Dundee United would be big favourites. The fact we don't even have close to that lessens our chances yet further.

Any result which is not an Arab victory will be a surprise to me and many. But then again, you never know...

Our record against Dundee United in the Scottish Cup has been pretty special over the years.

Off the top of my head, without exact dates…

There was the 4-1 game in 1977 with the 16,000 gate

We beat them 2-0 at Tannadice in the late 70s again I think.

We beat them 1-0 at Love Street in the quarter final in the early 80s with a Fitzpatrick volley.

We beat them in another tie at Love Street I think with Somner scoring the winner?

There was the relatively recent cup replay victory with Andy Dorman’s winner.

And of course the 87 cup final…

The only blot I think was the 4-1 home defeat in the 80s…

I make that 6 wins and 1 defeat.

By Tuesday morning I believe it will be 7 wins…

Our record against Dundee United in the Scottish Cup has been pretty special over the years.

Off the top of my head, without exact dates…

There was the 4-1 game in 1977 with the 16,000 gate

We beat them 2-0 at Tannadice in the late 70s again I think.

We beat them 1-0 at Love Street in the quarter final in the early 80s with a Fitzpatrick volley.

We beat them in another tie at Love Street I think with Somner scoring the winner?

There was the relatively recent cup replay victory with Andy Dorman’s winner.

And of course the 87 cup final…

The only blot I think was the 4-1 home defeat in the 80s…

I make that 6 wins and 1 defeat.

By Tuesday morning I believe it will be 7 wins…

What happened to Monday?