Best Individual Performance?

Alex Linwood in the Summer cup semi final replay against Morton in 1943. It was at Hampden park and Morton really were the favourites with Stanley Matthews in the team. Our best player ever Mr Dan McGarry ran the show for much of the game but not even wee Super Dan could hold a candle to Alex Linwood that day. He ripped the Morton defence apart and finished with two goals. Football really was better in those days!

Another out-of-the-blue and never-to-be-repeated performance was Stewart Kean's two goals in the opening 20 minutes against Hearts in 2006/07 before he was injured. nerd.gif

He was on a certain hattrick that afternoon. Shame he had to go off.

Have some stories from up there that are not suitable for a Public Forum whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I was with Watson Norrie. Aye, I can imagine the stories and have a few of my own. Some great memories of the shithouse cabaret every Friday night after the Welly Bar entertainment had finished.

Alex Linwood in the Summer cup semi final replay against Morton in 1943. It was at Hampden park and Morton really were the favourites with Stanley Matthews in the team. Our best player ever Mr Dan McGarry ran the show for much of the game but not even wee Super Dan could hold a candle to Alex Linwood that day. He ripped the Morton defence apart and finished with two goals. Football really was better in those days!

Alex Linwood was a friend of my Dad so I knew him quite well. I remember him lamenting about having been born too early, in a time when football players were not that well paid. When you think that he was making comparisons between his wages and the wages paid to Scottish First Division players in the 1960s, it makes me wonder what he would think of the wages players of his calibre can earn today.

Ian Ferguson - Cup '87 Semi final against Hearts.

To finally get to a final after so many attempts in the 80's is a day that is deeply scarred in my liver.

Oustanding performance from a skilful attacking player who unfortunately was transformed into an attacking skilful players hatchet man when he went up the road to the dead club.

I've said before I would have left after 90 minutes if I had been a neutral. A terrible game. His goal would grace any game- is that not how to hit them? I can still recall the three goals from 59 like it was yesterday.

I've said before I would have left after 90 minutes if I had been a neutral. A terrible game. His goal would grace any game- is that not how to hit them? I can still recall the three goals from 59 like it was yesterday.

I remember the moment of Ferguson's goal vividly.

elvis was standing next to us with his 'pals' and he turned and said, "Don't get excited. They'll get angry, noo. Bet we get pumped 3-1".

:rolleyes:

Good thread.

One that sticks in the mind for me and hasn't been mentioned was Billy Mehmet's performance and winning goal in the league cup semi final against Hearts.

I think it's one thing doing it in early rounds of cups or league games, and it's quite another doing it on a big stage in a huge match. Gives the performance more gravitas.

I remember the Marc Corcoran performance well - could never understand why he could'nt play like that more often.

The one that stands out for me without thinking was Ally McLeod scoring 4 at Ibrox in a 4-1 League Cup humping of R*ng*rs about a week after they had won 4-0 at Love Street. Bobby McKean was pretty hot that night too. R*ng*rs scored as I was going up the stairs at the start of the game and I thought we were in for an even bigger gubbing. Turned out to be one of the best nights of my life.

i was there too. It was a great night. :D