Marching In Video From 1991

div

This video was released on VHS (remember them fellow oldies ?) format only in 1991 and traces the history of the club up to that point.
Some excellent footage and some classic goals are included and some tremendous scenes of a packed Love Street.

Narrated by Bob Crampsey it also includes a cringeworthy cameo from Dennis Law at the end for no apparent reason.

Some great footage in it, thanks to Yfab for converting it from VHS for buddies everywhere to enjoy.
Go and watch it or download it (link to download is at the bottom of the article underneath the video stream) from the following link;

Well that took care of my afternoon. What a thoroughly good watch, thoroughly good indeed although I do confess to swearing at the television set when David Hay appears at the end.

Did anyone notice our glorious and righteous teams greatest ever player get a wee mention from Mr Bob Crampsie?

Watch it again and marvel at the name of Dan McGarry. The Alex Linwood interview, the Davie Lapsley interview and the Tommy Bryceland interviews were just great, just great indeed. Made In 1991 eh? Really does not seem that long ago. An interesting thought is that many a young adult supporter of our great and good club will not even remember any of the character's now and will never have enjoyed the magic of seeing these guys ply the trade that is soccerball in person.

How good would a "Marching in again" feature be whereby the history is picked up from where this great production ended. We could reminisce at the departure of that fraudster Davie Hay, wince at the debacle of the Jimmy Bone era (Raith Rovers game haunts me yet), the Iain Munro revolving door day of fiasco, the second coming of Tony the great Fitzpatrick, the Tom Hendrie era and onto the (as the Latin tongued folk would call it) seasonus miraculous et millennium. Onwards to the depression of the John Coughlin struggles before the Gus McPherson resurgence, the league cup of 2010 gut wrenching, the McPherson exit and the Mr Daniel Lennon appointment and onward to the St Mirrens day of 2013 and the image of the Thommohawk running arms outstretched toward the best of the Paisley people and the first time the town has ever welcomed the league cup to its trophy cabinet.

Having just typed all of that It is obvious that the second instalment of our history really does have plenty of content and I did not even mention the leaving of Love Street.

Edited: Actually I am going to add a little more. Since the making of that feature we have seen our great club lose by 7 to Raith Rovers, miss out on signings to the likes of Ayr Utd, come perilously close to the second division (and most likely bankruptcy), be second favourites for relegation but yet win the first division (the bubble didnae burst), suffer the pain of relegation, win the challenge cup, rejoice in the joy of again winning the first division, come from 2-0 down at Fir Park to cling onto top flight status, against all odds make a league cup final only to outplay the opposition but still lose to 9 men, go from losing to Clydebank, Airdrie, Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath to beating Rangers and Celtic, sometimes in style, reaching Hampden park again and this time brining the league cup back to Paisley and now we sit in our shiny new stadium (fairly) comfortably in Scottish footballs top tier.

Yes fellow forum user's a lot has indeed happened since the making of that film, a lot indeed.

Edited by TediousTom

Brilliant. Just watched and downloaded it to laptop so will it many more times. What struck me was they got interviews with past managers and players, but none with the manager of the time !!!!!!!. Any chance of someone doing "The Bubble Didnae Burst" onto computer, my video player died years ago and still have both videos

Still waiting for a kind Buddie to upload Cup Final Sportscene from May 16th 1987.

It was the highlights Programme which was outstanding viewing as it showed the Match plus Open Top Bus celebrations.

I wid be very grateful but not in a sexual or monetary way.

Still waiting for a kind Buddie to upload Cup Final Sportscene from May 16th 1987.

It was the highlights Programme which was outstanding viewing as it showed the Match plus Open Top Bus celebrations.

I wid be very grateful but not in a sexual or monetary way.

What other way is there?

Haven't seen this for ages - still very enjoyable. It's amazing just how many really good players we've had over the years (even though some of our fans don't seem to recognise that!). The Fergie and Clunie years still give me goose bumps to watch. We were f*cking awesome at times then.

Ah, the memories! Thanks Div and all involved. I've not been able to watch my VHS copy for years as my steam-driven video player gave up the ghost ages ago. Watched it with my son this afternoon with radio on in background for today's game. Can't wait to be able to show him Saints European exploits should these be found - he still can't really believe we were ever that good!

Great video. The opening montage is cracking! Haven't watched it for a number of years and can't believe it is 22 years that have passed since!

A few general questions for those old enough to remember:

When did segregation in Scottish football grounds come into being?

Did many Saints fans regularly watch games from the West Terracing at Love Street pre-Caledonian stand?

I can't remember Love Street without North Bank seating but spent my formative years on the East Terracing at the Love Street end, playing hide and seek and playing in sand on the Terrace (apparently), sitting on the barrier behind the goals (occasionally scampering to throw a ball back from the blaze around the park) or sitting against one of the barriers lower down in the Terracing (I actually think I'm celebrating a Gunni goal standing up and jumping about in the video)...

I suppose in typical male fashion it's the memories and shared experiences with friends and in particular my dad that make it so special. Funny how football and, for us all, Saints allows this conduit even through pretty tough times.

I think I honestly know one other person who posts on this forum, but the shared feelings and experiences with fellow Buddies on this forum when at its best make it all the more special and have had me coming back for about 11 years now.

Cheers Div for posting. Here's hoping for more Fir Park heroics to get back on winning form next Saturday!

Fantastic to watch again. Scanlon scoring against Clydebank in the cup game brought back great memories of going to kilbowie, which if I'm correct, was the first all seater stadium in Britain. Funny thing is that every time I watch the highlights on the video I'm drawn to the crowd behind the goal and a guy in a light brown jacket with the longest arms in the world, putting them aloft and clapping when we score. I think I might need some sort of help. There is no doubt a syndromie-like name for what I have.

I also used that end like many other Saints in the 4-1 demolition of Dundee Utd. Sadly that day a youngster had his skull fractured from someone throwing a beer can up in the air I presume while celebrating a goal.

It had nothing to do with the celebrations mate.

Utd fans came into the Ground early and,with the help of a bit of violence, chased our fans out of the North Bank.When the "big boys" arrived and seen what had happened grouped at the Love St end of the NB until there were enough of them to retake our area.It was quite a sight seeing hundreds of Buds charging in to the away fans and knocking the shit out of them.Once the Polis had restored order they formed a segregration area but bottles,cans and bricks were flying between the fans all game.I got separated from my mate but met up with him again only to find he had a mouthful of stitches after being hit by a stone.It was wild,probably the most scary,but yet very exciting,game I have been to.

St Mirren had quite a "Firm" in those days and weren't to be messed with.