Motherwell V St Mirren Top League 21/12/13

shull

Predictably dismal performance, so typical of St Mirren just when so many see us turning the corner ............ What corner to where may I ask ?

On the blame front I have to express some disbelief that yet again we fail to get McGinn started. He is a terrific player for us and is good enough to start , and should start all the time.

Anyway, back on the same old path, I expect several more dismal efforts for a while until we approach another crisis , then in true St Mirren style , we'll approach the turn in the road again, but not quite get round it , but move away from the cliff edge, just enough !

Seen it all before, shame , but it's maybe Christmas that brings me out all festive !?

I'm starting to agree with this

I just hope he keeps us up in the interim.

I will be absolutely astounded if Danny's contract is renewed and he's here next season.

He won a cup and he's a nice guy so he apparently can't be sacked.

A nice little no contract renewal and mutual parting of ways would seem to sit just nicely with all concerned.

Then we can move on as a football club.

Where are we sitting in the league right now? A bit of realism is in order here!

Just watched the highlights. Young Kelly had a dreadful game, the midfield was non-existent, and it's very clear that Thompson is too old to be grafting away on his own up front every game. As for DL bringing Harkins in, maybe he thinks wee Gowser might be unavailable for a while come January due to a spell in the pokey.

Just watched the highlights.  Young Kelly had a dreadful game, the midfield was non-existent, and it's very clear that Thompson is too old to be grafting away on his own up front every game.  As for DL bringing Harkins in, maybe he thinks wee Gowser might be unavailable for a while come January due to a spell in the pokey.

if that's his thoughts he should replace Gowser with Harkins not McGinn.

Thought we started the game well and had a couple of half chances, but the heads went down after they scored. Midfield was poor yesterday, McLean just doesn't work out left, I though he could have been doing with taking Thompson off when the got the 3rd, he looks like he could be doing with a rest. Think we need to 2 strikers in January. Lack of pace in the team is worrying.

dont know where you got that from, he was the only player looking for the ball.

Thought we started the game well and had a couple of half chances, but the heads went down after they scored. Midfield was poor yesterday, McLean just doesn't work out left, I though he could have been doing with taking Thompson off when the got the 3rd, he looks like he could be doing with a rest. Think we need to 2 strikers in January. Lack of pace in the team is worrying.

My magic unbiased radio indicated McLean was posted missing. I'm not picking on him, just trying to point out that it's not all down to Harkins as some would have us believe.

Couple of clowns in our support yesterday. There was some guy sitting to the front of me (right hand section of support) who did nothing but hurl abuse at the players for 90 minutes. Thank f**k a couple of lads a few rows down and too the left turned round and told him to shut it.

If the team plays shite encourage then to play better or shut your trap. Shouting 'Yer pish Goodwin!' And 'Go back to the 1st division Harkins!' Isn't helping anyone. How the hell will that make these players play better?

Edited by Smeato

Couple of clowns in our support yesterday. There was some guy sitting to the front of me (right hand section of support) who did nothing but hurl abuse at the players for 90 minutes. Thank f**k a couple of lads a few rows down and too the left turned round and told him to shut it.

If the team plays shite encourage then to play better or shut your trap. Shouting 'Yer pish Goodwin!' And 'Go back to the 1st division Harkins!' Isn't helping anyone. How the will that make these players play better?

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

My magic unbiased radio indicated McLean was posted missing. I'm not picking on him, just trying to point out that it's not all down to Harkins as some would have us believe.

well the transfer window is about to open and for the last few seasons McLean's form has taken a right drop at this time of year. It's almost as if he spends the entire match thinking about his big money move.

Iam not saying he didn't work hard yesterday, he is just not a left sided midfielder, best position in the centre of midfield, I think he could also play just off Thompson.

Exactly. Kenny McLean has never and will never be a left midfielder, he's never had a good game there.

It's an absolute mystery that Danny continues to play him in that position.

I haven't read the thread at all, but would like to add that yesterday was a complete and utter shambles. After turning the corner with a set team, we reverted back to a line-up that yielded defeat after defeat. And quell surprise we got exactly that. That was the second worst performance of the season for me (after the 2-0 defeat at Easter Road). We were toothless, one-dimensional and uncreative. Having Harkins up front and McGowan in the deep role, not to mention McLean out left, killed us before kick off.

Motherwell deserved the victory though, they were superb but we granted them far too much space to exert themselves. Kello and Mair stood out for me, and both kept the score down by some distance. Not to mention that we managed one, yes ONE, shot on target against a dodgy-looking keeper who has been kept out of the Dundee team by Kyle Letheren. Yes, Kyle Letheren.

Tactically incompetent, woefully outplayed and sorely lacking in any sort of ideas. Four straight league matches without a goal with Dundee United visiting on Thursday. Deary deary me. On a personal note my back is killing me after having to sit on those non-seats yesterday. Awful football day out all round.

Motherwell's 2nd goal highlights direct football.

Most folk think of the long ball as the move to score a goal itself - but its only the means to get the ball into the opposition half without losing possession and getting into danger along the way.

Motherwell play a long ball. They don't even win the header, its the Saints defender who wins the header (quite often folk will state that its no use playing long ball against big centre halves up against small strikers).

Motherwell win the second ball which is what its all about.

They then lose possession almost immediately. However, instead of clearing our lines, Saints try to pass our way out of trouble.

Motherwell win possession again and are then up against an unbalanced Saints defence with players caught out of possession. Its a great move that's good to watch that gets the goal.

Its that simple.

Get the ball into the opposition half as often as possible and quickly as possible and get players forward. You can then fight for possession and play football in the opposition half - quote often against an unbalanced defence.

Attempt to pass from the back and you are up against an opposition with men behind the ball, who are organised and you may well end up losing possession and a goal (as we did by attempting to pass our way out of trouble for the 2nd goal).

And from kick off, boot the ball into touch...

Motherwell's 2nd goal highlights direct football.

Most folk think of the long ball as the move to score a goal itself - but its only the means to get the ball into the opposition half without losing possession and getting into danger along the way.

Motherwell play a long ball. They don't even win the header, its the Saints defender who wins the header (quite often folk will state that its no use playing long ball against big centre halves up against small strikers).

Motherwell win the second ball which is what its all about.

They then lose possession almost immediately. However, instead of clearing our lines, Saints try to pass our way out of trouble.

Motherwell win possession again and are then up against an unbalanced Saints defence with players caught out of possession. Its a great move that's good to watch that gets the goal.

Its that simple.

Get the ball into the opposition half as often as possible and quickly as possible and get players forward. You can then fight for possession and play football in the opposition half - quote often against an unbalanced defence.

Attempt to pass from the back and you are up against an opposition with men behind the ball, who are organised and you may well end up losing possession and a goal (as we did by attempting to pass our way out of trouble for the 2nd goal).

And from kick off, boot the ball into touch...

I actually agree........this game is essentially simple, but by feck there is a whole industry built around complicating the game.

St Mirren always seem to singularly fail to establish themselves first in games and get the dirty unsightly stuff done. Instead we let others boss us too often and then we scrape for the corner count and the passes made, picking some sort of moral victory over a match doing. Maybe it's just the 'ST Mirren method. '

On Boxing Day it will be interesting to see how we set about the form team in the league. If we try and out tippy tippy pass Dundee Utd we'll get horsed.