Centre Half Pairing

What is our better centre half pairing? Surely it has to be McGregor & Mair so why not get Mair in the team Danny?

I have nothing against Cheesy and by all accounts a favourite within the squad and an excellent professional. It always helps that he supports St Mirren but he is not better than Mair no matter how much I want him to be.

He has tried Goodwin at the back and for me it never really worked.

Hard to say, for me all three first choice (sic) CH's are much of a muchness & all prone to making mistakes - the reason they are all playing for a Bottom Six SPL club.

I agree that the Goodwin experiment turned out to be a failure. I believe Naismith is also a CH although I have never seen him play there.

At present I would perm any 2 from the 3 M's although I wouldn't drop McAusland on the strength of one bad performance yesterday - injuries and suspensions suggest to me we need three CH's and I'm sure Mair will get his chance and at that point I would give him the benefit of being in possession of the starting place.

Sorry Dave, gotta disagree there! Cheesy has had been excellent this season, sure he has made some mistakes but flawless CB's don't really exist at this level! He is our most improved player over past two seasons and if that continues then the club have developed one of our own into a solid defender who cost nowt!

I just feel Mair and McGregor are better centre halves all round and they will make mistakes that is a given but the best we have. For me Cheesy reminds me so much of John Potter which on how you look at it is not a bad thing.

Cheesy is human , he makes mistakes.

McGregor is also prone to silly mistake ( & for some reason falling on his arse at crucial moments !)

Its not so long ago that many on here were referring to Mair as "night-mair!"

We have Three decent centre backs, not world beaters but decent. Cheesy is no worse no better but certainly not the bombscare that some would have us believe.

This thread only appeared because of yesterday, IMO. Posted Image

Things happen that trigger talking points for sure this is not based on one game. If we are looking at yesterday's game I thought Kello had more of a shocker than Cheesy or anyone else.

If u feel Cheesy is one of best two centre halves that is your opinion I am simply stating I feel Mair and McGregor are our best two centre halves

The previous 6 games before yesterday we conceded 3 goals.

We had 4 shut outs from the 6 games.

McAusland played in all these games.

Not discounting yesterday by any means, schoolboy stuff for the first goal.

Yesterday was a poor performance. Does it merit being dropped after the previous 6 games? I personally don't thinks so.

If we have another couple of games and there's problems, probably not all down to him, then sure, a rethink.

Erm yeah, when by general agreement McAusland had a bad game - DTB expressed his POV without resorting to abuse.

Timely & reasonable topic to open on a Saints forum.

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Abuse? I think you're trying too hard.rolleyes.gif

My point is, and I'm allowed this as much as anyone is, that this thread would not have appeared if McAusland didn't have a bad game yesterday.

Timely? Of course it is, that'd do him the world of good. dry.png

PS I didn't see a "timely" thread discussing the goalkeepers place after our keepers howler against QOS?

Edited by faraway saint

PS I didn't see a "timely" thread discussing the goalkeepers place after our keepers howler against QOS?

Why don't you start one? Kello has had a bad couple of games but I still think he is our best keeper. Every player makes mistakes. Cheesy is a decent hardworking centre half I just think we have two better at the club

Abuse? I think you're trying too hard.rolleyes.gif

My point is, and I'm allowed this as much as anyone is, that this thread would not have appeared if McAusland didn't have a bad game yesterday.

Timely? Of course it is, that's do him the world of good. dry.png

What could be more appropriate than discussing St. Mirren's best CH pairing on a Saints forum?

On your point that it's too early to drop McAusland - I agree.

If you think we need a Drop Kello thread start one and I will give it careful consideration.

However I think it's ironic to see the repulsive santaponsasaint who once called Billy Mehmet a waste of oxygen criticize this thread.

Edited by Bud the Baker

What could be more appropriate than discussing St. Mirren's best CH pairing on a Saints forum?

On your point that it's too early to drop McAusland - I agree.

If you think we need a Drop Kello thread start one and I will give it careful consideration.

However I think it's ironic to see the repulsive santaponsasaint who once called Billy Mehmet a waste of oxygen criticize this thread.

Abuse, what in the world is happening to this forum. whistling.gif

What is our better centre half pairing? Surely it has to be McGregor & Mair so why not get Mair in the team Danny?I have nothing against Cheesy and by all accounts a favourite within the squad and an excellent professional. It always helps that he supports St Mirren but he is not better than Mair no matter how much I want him to be.He has tried Goodwin at the back and for me it never really worked.

Cheesy and Mair for me.

davidg, on Today, 15:31, said:

Not aimed at your post, more aimed at sections of support who are desperate to see him fail.

My heart says Cheesy & McGregor due to Cheesy being a St Mirren fan and McGregor being a no nonsense defender which I like. My head says Mair & McGregor as they compliment each other better in my opinion Edited by Dave The Buddie