Bbc Sports Personality Of The Year 2013

shull

Andy deserved winner and they did show Thommo scoring for a brief mini-second, managed to get in 1966 three times nonetheless.

Bah.

Chuffed to bits to see that tiny wee bit about Saints. Have we ever been mentioned before? If Andy hadn't won it there would have been an outcry. Thoroughly deserved. The bit about the lad dying at Hillsborough was powerful stuff.

Murray deserved recognition for his achievement in finally winning Wimbledon for Britain, but "Sports Personality"? - I don't think so. The mans got less personality that wee anxious!

That's a bit harsh. The BBC documentary shown in the summer suggested that he has a decent sense of humour and is quite a sensitive young guy, in fairness.

He is very single-minded and focussed, and I think that tends to mask any other qualities he has.

That's a bit harsh. The BBC documentary shown in the summer suggested that he has a decent sense of humour and is quite a sensitive young guy, in fairness.

He is very single-minded and focussed, and I think that tends to mask any other qualities he has.

It wasn't meant to be a dig only at Murray, but also at the nature of the award. The 'personality' aspect has been lost for some time. It should be renamed to reflect that. I've no issue with Murray receiving an award for his achievements.

It wasn't meant to be a dig only at Murray, but also at the nature of the award. The 'personality' aspect has been lost for some time. It should be renamed to reflect that. I've no issue with Murray receiving an award for his achievements.

Fair point.

It should be the BBC Annual Sports Achievement Award or something to that effect.

Kind of surprised that Mo Farra did not get a place in the top bearing in mind his achievements rather than the rugby player who got runner up. Still Andy surely deserves the plaudits having achieved something that no other Brit has acheived since the 1930s (in the men's game that is). If Sir Wiggins can get a knighthood and personality of the year by winning a cycling race (and the latter deservedly so) then there was really only one person going to win the award.

Without meaning to be pedantic (we've already got a resident pedant) the word personality in this sense just implies a famous sportsman who has been the best achiever in the year. It's not really an accurate name for the programme. Personality in terms of character or being a generally good guy never really has come into it. If it was a toss-up between two great performers the one with the more attractive personality or a cheeky-chappie type would probably win it. Andy sells himself short for being honest he comes across as a bloody awful bore. But it would have been a national disgrace if he hadn't got the award this year.

I never saw the programme, but my wild guess is maybe they won something or other during the year...?

:unsure:

Blimey, I wouldn't have thought small provincial team winning wee diddy cup would have made the running order, let alone get featured on the London centric division of the show. Was wondering if it was to do with a look back over Fergie's career mibbe...

Blimey, I wouldn't have thought small provincial team winning wee diddy cup would have made the running order, let alone get featured on the London centric division of the show. Was wondering if it was to do with a look back over Fergie's career mibbe...

No, it was way before Fergie's tribute. It was a very brief mention about our winning the cup. There was a small clip.It was over in a second or two- can't even remember what was in it. The only mention of Alex's earlier career was the statement that in 1986 United got him from Aberdeen.

No, it was way before Fergie's tribute. It was a very brief mention about our winning the cup. There was a small clip.It was over in a second or two- can't even remember what was in it. The only mention of Alex's earlier career was the statement that in 1986 United got him from Aberdeen.

it was basically Thommo's cup final goal, with the commentator saying in that drole haunting voice "St Mirren winning/won/lifting (cant remember which) the Scottish League cup". I flicked over just in time to see it. thumbup2.gif

SPOTY..................what a truly dismal programme. That jug eared bawbag ,who for years didnae speak to SAF. Then we get the fawning over pc correct sporting pastimes, the collective appreciation of unsung heroes.

I sat through most of it and truly regretted the utter waste of my time.

Could have had the Christmas tree decorated, gifts wrapped and been a wee bit festive feeling , instead I just got cynical and annoyed

dry.png

SPOTY..................what a truly dismal programme. That jug eared bawbag ,who for years didnae speak to SAF. Then we get the fawning over pc correct sporting pastimes, the collective appreciation of unsung heroes.

I sat through most of it and truly regretted the utter waste of my time.

Could have had the Christmas tree decorated, gifts wrapped and been a wee bit festive feeling , instead I just got cynical and annoyed

dry.png

Could have been worse....much worse.

You could have sat through the X Factorsad.png

ETA: I did catch the last 30 minutes or so of the SPOTY programme, and something struck me above all else. If there was one self-important, smug fanny in the audeince, there was a few dozen.

Edited by Drew

Could have been worse....much worse.

You could have sat through the X Factorsad.png

The lass' who won it is some singer though. Good luck to her. I listened to a few of her performances and her voice is capable of sending shivers down my spine... like Ann Wilson of Heart.

That wee dweeb from Motherwell was gubbed. phone.gif

The lass' who won it is some singer though. Good luck to her. I listened to a few of her performances and her voice is capable of sending shivers down my spine... like Ann Wilson of Heart.

That wee dweeb from Motherwell was gubbed. phone.gif

It was like a glorified working mans club karaoke competition. I was bored listening to the woman who won it half was through the first song I heard her song. No shivers down my spine, mate - just curled toes. Bloody awful. All the fawning, psuedo-emotional pish would have given you the dry boak!

A part of my life I will ever get back, and I am bitterly resentful about thatdeath.gif

It was like a glorified working mans club karaoke competition. I was bored listening to the woman who won it half was through the first song I heard her song. No shivers down my spine, mate - just curled toes. Bloody awful. All the fawning, psuedo-emotional pish would have given you the dry boak!

A part of my life I will ever get back, and I am bitterly resentful about thatdeath.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of X Factor type shows, but I genuinely think Sam Bailey is no cruise ship singer or club singer - a cut above IMHO.

Completely subjective matter of course. I hope whoever is in charge of her career gets good material for her and doesn't go down the safe route of endless big power ballads.

Annnyway. Moving right along!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of X Factor type shows, but I genuinely think Sam Bailey is no cruise ship singer or club singer - a cut above IMHO.

Completely subjective matter of course. I hope whoever is in charge of her career gets good material for her and doesn't go down the safe route of endless big power ballads.

Annnyway. Moving right along!

As you say, entirely subjective.

I'm not suggesting that she isn't a good singer - of course she is - but not my cup of tea. All the big power ballads (as you say) leave me cold.

One time I would confess to being genuinely moved by an X Factor performance, though, when when Matt Somebody sang The First Time (Ever I saw Your Face). That was quite something, I seem to recall.

Chuffed to bits to see that tiny wee bit about Saints. Have we ever been mentioned before? If Andy hadn't won it there would have been an outcry. Thoroughly deserved. The bit about the lad dying at Hillsborough was powerful stuff.

Alex Smith and Jimmy Bone were in the audience after the 87 Scottish cup win and were actually interviewed, changed days now with the EPL and Champions (top four or five) league taking all the attention. Fergie's goal was shown too, don't think any players were there but I could be wrong.