Gowser Assaults Tony Fitzpatrick

Wilbur

Eh, no ?

Everyone is commenting on a small piece of journalism without knowing all the facts !

The only fact is he plead guilty, doesnt tell you a thing about the how, why & what for of the actual situation !

I be you lot are the type to hound an alledged sex offender after hearing part of a story ! Look how that can end !

The fact is that he is guilty of a crime. It's a huge leap from wanting a guilty man punished to being a lynch mob attacking an accused one.

Eh, no ?

Everyone is commenting on a small piece of journalism without knowing all the facts !

The only fact is he plead guilty, doesnt tell you a thing about the how, why & what for of the actual situation !

I be you lot are the type to hound an alledged sex offender after hearing part of a story ! Look how that can end !

Fuxake. There's a difference between an alleged sex offender, as you put it, and someone who has pleaded guilty to sex offences.

If these were mere allegations and there was a court case to come, I would strongly defend McGowan against any pre-judgement, to use your phraseology. But they've charged him; he's said he did it.

If Gowser wanted to get his side of the story across, he could have pleaded not guilty and he would have had his day in court. He has chosen not to do that and you therefore can't have a go at people for discussing what's going to happen next, given that he's going to be sentenced without a trial taking place.

My preferred outcome here would be community service and a new one-year contract extension. whistling.gif

Theres no mention of the policeman being on the ground? The way I read it was that he was kicking out while getting arrested.. not that that is any better mind you.

"St Mirren midfielder Paul McGowan, 26, admitted carrying out the attacks in Airdrie and at Coatbridge police office"

Looks like the kicking out continued after the initial arrest?

ST MIRREN footballer Paul McGowan has admitted attacking two police officers after they had tried to arrest him.

The former Celtic midfielder, 26, wildly kicked out at two cops after he was held in a late night row.

McGowan who also played for Hamilton Accies and Morton, was handcuffed and taken from a street in his hometown of Airdrie, Lanarkshire.

He then attacked PC Edward Gilmartin and Sergeant Tony Fitzpatrick who had been sent to deal with the disturbance on August 11 this year.

Shamed McGowan appeared at Airdrie Sheriff Court this morning where he admitted kicking PC Gilmartin and repeatedly kicking Sgt Fitzpatrick.

McGowan had not guilty pleas to acting in a threatening and abusive manner and to kicking Special Constable Martine McNee accepted by prosecutors.

A brief hearing before Sheriff Petra Collins saw McGowan confirm he was pleading guilty to two charges of police assault.

Sheriff Collins said: "I am not going to deal with your case today given the nature of the charges you have pled guilty to and the fact you have an analogous previous conviction.

"I am calling for a criminal justice social work report which will look at sentencing options including supervision and unpaid work."

Sentence was deferred until January 8.

Outside court McGowan said: "I am not allowed to say anything about this just now.

"My manager has told me not to speak to anyone about it."

A spokesman for St Mirren declined to comment.

Perhaps he will avoid the nick??

Fuxake. There's a difference between an alleged sex offender, as you put it, and someone who has pleaded guilty to sex offences.

If these were mere allegations and there was a court case to come, I would strongly defend McGowan against any pre-judgement, to use your phraseology. But they've charged him; he's said he did it.

If Gowser wanted to get his side of the story across, he could have pleaded not guilty and he would have had his day in court. He has chosen not to do that and you therefore can't have a go at people for discussing what's going to happen next, given that he's going to be sentenced without a trial taking place.

My preferred outcome here would be community service and a new one-year contract extension. whistling.gif

I was making a point ya halfwit !

As i originally stated, no one knows the facts behind this except that he has plead guilty. Losing his job & lifes career is probably a wee bit much !

The punishment should fit the crime & no one should pre judge what punishment anyone should receive !!! Epecially when you know absolutaly he-haw about what actually happened bangin.gif

Sounds like he will stay out the clanger. I'm not sure what good jail time would do for Gowser - it would turn him from being a stupid wee man with a good job, to being a stupid wee man without a good job - and put him on the road to ruin.

In terms of rehabilitation, you'd hope he would learn from this, sort himself out and concentrate on doing what he clearly does best. If he takes his punishment like a man and carries on playing well for us, I'd have no problem at all with him still playing for Saints.

I was making a point ya halfwit !

As i originally stated, no one knows the facts behind this except that he has plead guilty. Losing his job & lifes career is probably a wee bit much !

The punishment should fit the crime & no one should pre judge what punishment anyone should receive !!! Epecially when you know absolutaly he-haw about what actually happened bangin.gif

I have to assume this is a wind-up. I'm out.

This must be a fishing trip. he pled guilty to police assault for the second time, which is a very bad thing. That is pretty much the whole story, he should be sacked if he goes to jail for this and seriously disciplined by the club and the soccer authorities if he avoids the pokey

Aye. Punishing someone three times for the same crime. That's the way to do it.....

Aye. Punishing someone three times for the same crime. That's the way to do it.....

I would be sacked from my job if I was sent to jail and also if any other sentence disrupted my work. I'd also find it impossible to get the same job in a different organisation.

I don't look at footballers in a different light to anyone else. If he is jailed, he should be sacked.

Grow up mate. As i said, there are many things that could have happended on that night that none of us know about !

I think pre judging someone when you know absolutely nothing about the case is a bit silly ?

Also, saying someone should be sacked & effectivly lose his career is just plain nasty !

I think you will find no judging is necessary, FFS he admitted it. For the second time in his life!

In those circumstances, I would be moving on one of my employees if one of them was involved. Just like Charnley, he has taken our money and dragged the club's reputation through the mud, he is best got rid of

I don't think for a minute anyone is being judgemental - yeah none of us were there (I think) and people do pleas guilty for a variety of reasons - but why would someone who has 1. already been one with the same crime and 2. in the public eye - do so? I would guess cos he bloody well guilty.

Wether some police are antagonising or not - it still doesn't mean you can go around kicking them - just like you can't kick an antagonising person in your work ,for exp, and not expect comeback.

Take the fitba tinted glasses off and think of him as just another member of the public who was assualted someone - simples.

I have never and will never be into slagging off/hating the police - aye,like in all walks of life/jobs/services etc there are feckin numpties BUT you never know when you will need one of these guys or girls.

As for Gowser - it's happened twice - that isn't good, if there are anger issues there or whatever then can only hope he gets help needed cos if he escapes jail this time - if there were a net time - byeeeeeeeeee

Why should his team mates carry the load for a half-wit who cant behave himself? He's already missed training today and will either miss more for community work or if he gets put away. All of this disrupts normal club business.

Think of all the kids who would love the chances he has been given, he has dumped on the club and on the game that is giving him a good living

Don't know the full story so won't pre judge. Was arrested many moons ago in London for a Scotland game. Was charged with a pile of untrue shit one was assaulting a policeman again untrue made up shit. Was advised to plead guilty due to police statements. These policemen blow the whole thing out of context. Gowser will get over this.

Oh dear.

I won't try to defend nor overly condemn him, as I don't know enough about the case and certainly wouldn't take what is reported in the press as gospel.

Could there be mitigating circumstances? I suppose the guy makes a living out of kicking....

Joking aside, it sounds as though the player is the one who needs a kick in the stones, but if people genuinely believe in the concept of rehabilitation, what would be the benefit of throwing him in the pokey? If he has previous, however, he might be luck to escape a custodial sentence, and so be it.

Many ifs and buts to this one. I just think it is a bloody waste when folk get themselves involved in this sort of stupidity. He shouldn't get any special treatment (one way or another) because he is a professional footballer. If he has behaved like a cock, then he should answer for it in the same way we all would. This doesn't necessarily mean that jail is inevitable, nor particularly desirable. Payback, yes - but something constructive would be better.

I think Gowser had one or two many sherbets in his system when the offence took place. He should know better than to have kicked off with the Police and just accepted what they were telling him, by moving on or stop drinking or whatever else the advice was. He is now in serious trouble as the courts seem to take a very dim view on people who assault police on duty.

Terrible shame for us as a club and the player who could now have jeopardised his whole career in a moment of drunken madness, if that is what happened.

FFS you lot are for hanging the poor boy right out to dry without knowing the whole story !

Shame on you all, you all must be so perfect !

He has already plead guilty so what story would one need to know?

This is shameful behaviour, shameful indeed, The article I read states that our star midfielder has a previous conviction for Police assault. Could a custodial sentence be in the offing?