Gowser Assaults Tony Fitzpatrick

Wilbur

I would be sacked from my job if I was sent to jail and also if any other sentence disrupted my work. I'd also find it impossible to get the same job in a different organisation.

I don't look at footballers in a different light to anyone else. If he is jailed, he should be sacked.

I agree with your 1st point but that would be being punished twice. WTF has it got to do with the football authorities though, as was suggested? I will, however, reserve judgement until I know EVERY fact before I make any conclusion, whether he has plead guilty or not. Not one of us know exactly what the scenario was that night.

Why should his team mates carry the load for a half-wit who cant behave himself? He's already missed training today and will either miss more for community work or if he gets put away. All of this disrupts normal club business.

Think of all the kids who would love the chances he has been given, he has dumped on the club and on the game that is giving him a good living

Fine. So as I say, if he is 100% guilty and was out of order, then yes, let the courts punish him and yes, he should probably lose his job. I fail to see though, why you would advocate the football authorities also wading in and punishing him further than that???

I agree with your 1st point but that would be being punished twice. WTF has it got to do with the football authorities though, as was suggested? I will, however, reserve judgement until I know EVERY fact before I make any conclusion, whether he has plead guilty or not. Not one of us know exactly what the scenario was that night.

As he has plead guilty that means that there will be no trial, as such we will never hear the full facts and quite frankly none of us need to hear them, the facts are entirely for the court to consider and where necessary punish. The exact circumstances are not the business of anyone on this forum to know.

I agree that this is not a matter for the footballing authorities, it is entirely for a court to deal with.

That said If young Paul gets himself a custodial sentence (a matter entirely for the court) then it remains to be seen as to whether or not our wonderful club stand by him as a player or abandon him on the footballing scrapheap. Most employer's would sack the individual involved.

He has plead guilty, he will serve his sentence and repay his debt to society. Hopefully he will learn from it and lets keep our fingers crossed that our player can come through this with a lesson learned and a huge point to prove.

He's been a very silly lad, but I think in general the courts are more lenient towards footballers because of the impact on their careers. Probably wrongly, but that's the way it is and from a st mirren point of view I hope that's the case. He's a very good player. Maybe the club should give him an ultimatum. Players have done worse and continued playing. Cantona launched himself at a spectator and he played again.

Wow hysteria right enough.

Thank fcuk I've never been in tr.............................oh wait.

That reminds me, he who casts the first stone, run like f**k, never fight wi the police.

Hooli, hooli hooligan !!!

Decades ago you wouldve been transported tae Australia.

Now yir dumped in Arbroff.

What did you do ?

I think a lot hinges on how the player himself makes amends for his actions irrespective of what the court decides. He may have a drink problem, in which case he can get help. He hopefully sees how this will seriously jeopardise his future and bust his arse to make up for it in a way only him and his conscience can decide. I've been where he's at and thankfully all that stopped many years ago when I sobered up and people I had hurt were only too willing to help me when they saw I was genuine in my efforts. Our clubs track record is good when it comes to players in trouble( basher with drugs if I remember correctly) I know the big difference here is that he assaulted the police twice which will not go in his favour at all, however if he has a problem ( and doing an insane act twice may point towards that) then this is a big turning point for him and he either takes it seriously or he doesn't. Let's hope he does

Having not been in trouble myself (so far!) maybe someone could explain community service to me. Is it not used as an alternative to prison to A) Keep families together and B) Allow people to remain employed. Would this not mean if he gets this punishment, Gowser would submit his training schedule to the authorities and they would plan his service in his spare time so as to punish him and not his employers

Now's the time for the club to rally behind him and offer him the help and rehabilitation he needs. Starting with offering him a 3 year contract (on an affordable wage of course).

Yes, he's a f**king idiot and not for the first time. I think in the cold light of day, Paul will accept that himself and will have done since the Sunday morning in August he woke up in a police cell and not for the first time. However, he has given us as a club and a support, many, many fantastic memories and been an excellent servant. He's teetering on the edge of being classed as another talent who f**ked it all up for himself. A strong network of other players, managers and a well wishing support might just help him knuckle down and realise how f**king cushy a number he has.

I for one, won't be turning on the guy. He'll still have my unwavering support as a St. Mirren player. If any 'holier than thou' types wish to take umbrage with it, well then that's tough.

Give him a fine and some community based football work so that he can give back to the community. Might as well put his small skill set to use. He has never gave the impression he has 2 brain cells to rub together and that added to his questionable celtic background means this comes as no surprise

i have no love for the parkhead lot,but what exactly do you mean by saying "a questionable celtic background" ?

Now's the time for the club to rally behind him and offer him the help and rehabilitation he needs. Starting with offering him a 3 year contract (on an affordable wage of course).

Yes, he's a f**king idiot and not for the first time. I think in the cold light of day, Paul will accept that himself and will have done since the Sunday morning in August he woke up in a police cell and not for the first time. However, he has given us as a club and a support, many, many fantastic memories and been an excellent servant. He's teetering on the edge of being classed as another talent who f**ked it all up for himself. A strong network of other players, managers and a well wishing support might just help him knuckle down and realise how f**king cushy a number he has.

I for one, won't be turning on the guy. He'll still have my unwavering support as a St. Mirren player. If any 'holier than thou' types wish to take umbrage with it, well then that's tough.

I can't really disagree with this position.

The righteous moral indignation approach doesn't sit at all well with me. I've f**ked up in the past, and learned from it. Anyone who claims not to have done something that others could easily frown upon is either a smug arsehole or a liar.

Holier than thou?

Wonder if you'd be saying that if it was your brother or your father he had kicked the shite out of.

FFS football fans can be selfish as f**k sometimes.

I can't really disagree with this position.

The righteous moral indignation approach doesn't sit at all well with me. I've f**ked up in the past, and learned from it. Anyone who claims not to have done something that others could easily frown upon is either a smug arsehole or a liar.

Hang on Drew. It's not good enough to say "ach well we've all been a bit naughty".

We have a problem in our culture where a growing number of people seem to think it's OK to get pissed or whatever and then kick lumps out of someone.

It isn't moral indignation for people to expect some form of punishment for that BEFORE we start talking about reforming his character.

Neither is it moral indignation to expect that justice is seen to be done as a message and deterrent to others.

That's not to say that I'm advocating Paul should lose his job but he should and will be punished.

Hopefully he'll recognise that yes we all do daft things but consequences need to be faced and punishment taken like a man.

The key people to be thinking about here are the victims first and foremost and NOT the convicted criminal.

Edited by oaksoft

Holier than thou?

Wonder if you'd be saying that if it was your brother or your father he had kicked the shite out of.

FFS football fans can be selfish as f**k sometimes.

Where is it reported that he 'kicked the shite out of' anyone? That would suggest an assault to serious injury. Is this the case?

Edited by Drew

Hang on Drew. It's not good enough to say "ach well we've all been a bit naughty".

We have a problem in our culture where a growing number of people seem to think it's OK to get pissed or whatever and then kick lumps out of someone.

It isn't moral indignation for people to expect some form of punishment for that BEFORE we start talking about reforming his character.

Neither is it moral indignation to expect that justice is seen to be done as a message and deterrent to others.

That's not to say that I'm advocating Paul should lose his job but he should and will be punished.

Hopefully he'll recognise that yes we all do daft things but consequences need to be faced and punishment taken like a man.

The key people to be thinking about here are the victims first and foremost and NOT the convicted criminal.

My earlier post is very much in tune with what you've said here.

What irks me, though, is when the "string 'im up" brigade get on their bloody high horses without having access to all the facts.

players have been "stood by" for far worse offences and behaviour than that (bad as it undoubtedly is).

Get the other Tony Fitzpatrick on his case, to help guide him back on to the straight and narrow, get him to put out an "I am so sorry and I see the error of my ways" kind of statement....and get him signed for 3 years.