Gowser Assaults Tony Fitzpatrick

Wilbur

Q. Why is Barlinnie just like St Mirren Football Club?

A. Neither can get decent players through their doors in January.

Coat, etc.

At least it will be one less backs to the wall performance for Gowser before the end of May.

On a more serious note, does anyone know how community service works? No matter your occupation - footballer, milkman, mechanic, whatever - are you ordered to clean up graffitti, help out OAPs, paint fences, or do they try and 'tailor' any service towards any skillset that a person has? As a club with community initiatives, for example, will McGowan put in his hours coaching schoolkids, or suchlke?

On a more serious note, does anyone know how community service works? No matter your occupation - footballer, milkman, mechanic, whatever - are you ordered to clean up graffitti, help out OAPs, paint fences, or do they try and 'tailor' any service towards any skillset that a person has? As a club with community initiatives, for example, will McGowan put in his hours coaching schoolkids, or suchlke?

Chain gang, I suspect.

CS folks require supervision, so it can be difficult to tailor what they do as there are only so many CS supervisors. Ideally, he would, as you say, be enlisted to utilise his footballing skills in some way, but that might seem like a cushy wee recreational pursuit, so Lex wouldn't be happy....

I'm just speculating, to be honest, as it is a while since I had to scrape chewing gum off underpasses in Paisley back in the day....

OK. I need someone like Zurich Allan's help. I've just put on BBC digital teletext, Scottish news P160. There's the McGowan story, and a story about a taxi driver in Perth. This guy locks a female passenger in his cab and sexually assaults her... 200 hours community service. Now, I can guess how forum users would feel if it had been their daughter in that taxi and what they would like to do to the scum.

How in the name of anything does this compute?

OK. I need someone like Zurich Allan's help. I've just put on BBC digital teletext, Scottish news P160. There's the McGowan story, and a story about a taxi driver in Perth. This guy locks a female passenger in his cab and sexually assaults her... 200 hours community service. Now, I can guess how forum users would feel if it had been their daughter in that taxi and what they would like to do to the scum.

How in the name of anything does this compute?

WTF!

Teletext?!?!

Apologies, not really the time nor the place.

I sentence you to 10 seconds community service for that!

Aherm....

Again, we're probably only getting a snippet of the story, so it is difficult (and not entirely advisable) to draw too many conclusions. On the face of it, it does seem lenient, but, in the absence of more detail, not easy to offer comments.

Jobs or skills in the community, so long as it doesn't involve his kicking boots.whistling.gif

Aherm....

Again, we're probably only getting a snippet of the story, so it is difficult (and not entirely advisable) to draw too many conclusions. On the face of it, it does seem lenient, but, in the absence of more detail, not easy to offer comments.

Aye, but only the two people in that taxi know exactly what happened, same in every case. Makes it impossible for us to comment on, or give our opinion on anything? This makes forum discussion, or indeed any discussion, almost impossible!

For example, I saw a news report last night about the gangland execution of Joe 'Bananas' Hanlon, where his parents, bold as brass, wanted to know the facts about his killing, insisting their son was only known as 'bananas' because he did a lot of charity work dressed as a banana. I'm not making this up.

Now, I don't know the facts. I admit that. Here goes though....

Gangster scum killed by fellow gangster scum. Nae' luck bananas. What else do Mr & Mrs Hanlon need to know?

Edited by pozbaird

Aye, but only the two people in that taxi know exactly what happened, same in every case. Makes it impossible for us to comment on, or give our opinion on anything? This makes forum discussion, or indeed any discussion, almost impossible!

For example, I saw a news report last night about the gangland execution of Paul 'Bananas' Hanlon, where his parents, bold as brass, wanted to know the facts about his killing, insisting their son was only known as 'bananas' because he did a lot of charity work dressed as a banana. I'm not making this up.

Now, I don't know the facts. I admit that. Here goes though....

Gangster scum killed by fellow gangster scum. Nae' luck bananas. What else do Mr & Mrs Hanlon need to know?

Paul, I'm not suggesting that folk shouldn't comment, only that the limited detail available makes it difficult to comment.

As you know, I have two daughters, so I am not in any way making light of this. The very idea of a cab driver sexually assaulting another person in his cab is despicable. By the same token, though, I'm not about to be a hypocrite by contradicting what I've been saying about the McGowan situation throughout this thread.

Without knowing the detail, the exact chain of events, or the minutae of either case, what seems to be fact is that the Paul McGowan case sees 130 hours community service, while the taxi driver case sees 200 hours community service.

Again, I wasn't in Airdrie to witness Paul McGowan or the policemen's actions, and I wasn't in the passenger seat of that Perth taxi, but something does not compute with me in regard to these sentences.

If McGowan had been guilty of the Perth offence and was given community service, would any of us want him anywhere near a St Mirren shirt ever again?

Without knowing the detail, the exact chain of events, or the minutae of either case, what seems to be fact is that the Paul McGowan case sees 130 hours community service, while the taxi driver case sees 200 hours community service.

Again, I wasn't in Airdrie to witness Paul McGowan or the policemen's actions, and I wasn't in the passenger seat of that Perth taxi, but something does not compute with me in regard to these sentences.

If McGowan had been guilty of the Perth offence and was given community service, would any of us want him anywhere near a St Mirren shirt ever again?

A very fair point but ours is not to question. The authority of the court has been passed and the decision is 130 hours community service after the Sheriff has considered all the facts. Considering he (Paul McGowan) already had a previous conviction for assaulting a constable my initial reaction is that the sentence is very lenient, very lenient indeed.

All things said and done however it is now time to move on. Paul McGowan is an adult and if he fails to behave like one in future then I am sure the justice system will not be so lenient. As the sentence is not a custodial one then I see no reason why this would affect his employment with our glorious club and hopefully young Paul and the club can move on from here to better and brighter things.

So my message to Paul is this

"Learn your lesson you wee ned and get on with playing football for my club. You almost lost it all so wisen up, lead a better life in future and be a man my son, be a man."

so the sentence is delivered and even now some people are not happy, they reckon the sentence is too lenient - this decided without full knowledge of the facts, the judge decided his sentence and we have to assume he took all facts into account and made the right decision - or would you be implying that he got let off, and the judge is corrupt - why

Does the work need to be complete in the Coatbridge area or is it community service anywhere ? For instance would it be a possibility that Gowser is sent out with the football in the community initiative that Saints have ?

He's a lucky lad but I guess he knows that.

Let's hope he screws the nut, gets his head back together and gets back to playing football very well for St Mirren.

Best possible scenario is he gets his form back and repays our support of him by signing a new deal in the summer.

Edited by Rabinho

Does the work need to be complete in the Coatbridge area or is it community service anywhere ? For instance would it be a possibility that Gowser is sent out with the football in the community initiative that Saints have ?

I think this would be a really good idea. Also would get a lot of children interested in attending st mirren in the community. Who do a fantastic job.

I have read the comments left on his punishment. Firstly in my opinion it is really sad to put his crime along side that of a sex offender.

As a wife and mother it is his wife and children I feel for. To have your husband on the tv and paper for being up in court would be so embaressing not to mention children and school.

As fans it is nothing to do with us really. Does not affect us.

Because Paul now has a criminal record for assault it may hard for him to get an enhanced disclosure scotland certificate to work with children. It is mandatory now to have this.

He's a lucky lad but I guess he knows that. Let's hope he screws the nut, gets his head back together and gets back to playing football very well for St Mirren. Best possible scenario is he gets his form back and repays our support of him by signing a new deal in the summer.

...........and not the other way round!

On a more serious note, does anyone know how community service works? No matter your occupation - footballer, milkman, mechanic, whatever - are you ordered to clean up graffitti, help out OAPs, paint fences, or do they try and 'tailor' any service towards any skillset that a person has? As a club with community initiatives, for example, will McGowan put in his hours coaching schoolkids, or suchlke?[/qote]

There would be a Community Service Worker assigned to the court that will interview offenders to see if they are suitable and willing to carry out Community Service , they also monitor the hours and if the hours are not worked the offender can be sentenced again , for the original offence , and for a further offence of Breach of Community Service.

Because Paul is working it may be quite difficult for him to work through his hours , hopefully the with much spare time in the evenings he could benefit hugely from working in an initiative that allowed him to work with vulnerable young people.

Would be funny though if he ended up working in a WRVS canteen somewhere.

Let's just how its a lesson learned , and he commits his future to the Saints