26 Years Of Hurt Is Over

shull

*This time we fair better in the first division, finishing in the top half each season until we yet again return to the top table of Scottish football and as a bonus we win the challenge cup along the way, what nights they were.

I had to look this up as I was sure in your tedium, you were wrong about us both faring better and finishing in top half. You paint it far rosier than it actually was and how I remember it.

2001-02 - 8th of ten. Saved from 9th and relegation place (Falkirk's, though later reprieved due to Airdrie/Clydebank) only by goal difference.

2002-03 - 7th of ten. 2 points from relegation and conceding 71 goals, only 1 less than relegated Alloa and 6 more than bottom Arbroath.

2003-04 - 7th of ten. 10 points from the drop, but 8 points behind the side above us.

2004-05 - 2nd of ten. A good late rally under Gus finally had us expecting.

2005-06 - 1st of ten. Well, nothing to add really.

Those 3 and a bit seasons were some of the worst I've seen...including most of the 1990s.

I had to look this up as I was sure in your tedium, you were wrong about us both faring better and finishing in top half. You paint it far rosier than it actually was and how I remember it.

2001-02 - 8th of ten. Saved from 9th and relegation place (Falkirk's, though later reprieved due to Airdrie/Clydebank) only by goal difference.

2002-03 - 7th of ten. 2 points from relegation and conceding 71 goals, only 1 less than relegated Alloa and 6 more than bottom Arbroath.

2003-04 - 7th of ten. 10 points from the drop, but 8 points behind the side above us.

2004-05 - 2nd of ten. A good late rally under Gus finally had us expecting.

2005-06 - 1st of ten. Well, nothing to add really.

Those 3 and a bit seasons were some of the worst I've seen...including most of the 1990s.

Indeed , there have been some tough years that we just accepted , before we hauled ourselves back to where we belong , in the top league in Scotland . Pride has been restored in Paisley , even if we never got the kind of resurgence in support that we have been expecting . In more recent times , our success has been in our great contacts and the ability to use that benefit to get players we wouldn't normally be able to bring to Paisley. .

Thank you for pointing that out my eagle eyed forum friend, thank you indeed.

After typing out what I did not expect to be just such a long post I did give it the old once over or a proof read if you will and I failed to spot my mis-stewartism. In all honestly I was expecting to be highlighted for a more glaring error such as having the series of events in the wrong order but alas I am content that the content seem to be in order.

Well, of course, there’s that as well. The council decision was in the springtime of 2005 when Saints were still a First Division club.

As for relegation in 2001 so it’s now 14 points Saints were ahead? Next we know it’ll be 17, then 22 then 45. At no point, in my recollection, were Saints ever 14 points ahead of United. Certainly not with the same amount of games played. So it’s a little bit of a misnomer to continue to perpetrate this.

Dunno what I did with my ticket from the semi as that was a very proud day indeed.

I took the day off work the next day thinking, "Well, ye never know". Cracking night out in Paisley afterwards. I remember having a good chat with Mr Zo's pal Graeme Macpherson of the Herald having a good laugh about times gone by and previous tankings.

It was days like January the 27th that make 7-0 defeats bearable. thumbup2.gif

I've kept the quarter-final, semi-final and final tickets on me ever since. I think only 200 odd folk made it to the quarter final at Pittodrie so this trio of tickets must be fairly rare. Will be getting kept as a family heirloom!

post-2280-0-92007300-1387537063_thumb.jp

As for relegation in 2001 so it’s now 14 points Saints were ahead? Next we know it’ll be 17, then 22 then 45. At no point, in my recollection, were Saints ever 14 points ahead of United. Certainly not with the same amount of games played. So it’s a little bit of a misnomer to continue to perpetrate this.

Ah I was confident that some of the detail in my old mind may not be exactly what the historical record has, well recorded. In fact I was certain of it.

In the style of Morecambe and Wise I may have played all the right notes, just not in the right order!

Anyway in a "doffing of the cap" to the valued input I have made some corrections to my previous post.

I do hope you find the accuracy to be somewhat more in line with hard fact and I look forward to receiving your input on any further ammedices that need to be amended (I just made a word up, Merry Christmas Bulto).

Merry Christmas

Edited by TediousTom