Vinyl Lp Players

oaksoft

I was running a record shop in the virginia galleries then bloody amazon started selling stuff for less than what I paid for it and about the same time those large supermarkets started selling cd's and videos..plus the advent of the PC generation where you can download any album under the sun through sites like youtube and at the start kazaam meant that teenagers spent the cash on sex drugs and cheep booze.... instead of vinyl.

wee shits! meant I had to find a real job instead of sitting in a record shop listening to soul jazz rarities , smoking to many fags and doing the guardian crossword now I have to get up early and go to a real job..

Edited by stevie-dee

Ah yes , not forgetting Video 2000 system , DAT tapes ,Laser disc and the days when the original Showaddywaddy , topped the charts. .

ETA ; whatever happened to Dolby 's' . .

I think I've got some DAT tapes in a cupboard behind my Spectrum, Commodore 64 and Sega Mega Drive.

I will try and predict the future.

All music and video will be streamed direct to your home.

It will evolve to encompass HD Holographic images.

Can you imagine being onstage with Debbie Harry and Blondie at the 1979 Hogmanay show at the Glasgow Apollo.

Picture This

Here is then hour long OGWS audio of that gig.

http://pastdaily.com/2013/01/01/blondie-new-years-eve-1979-glasgow-past-daily-holiday-special/

Clem Burke is one of my favourite all time drummers. I've got one of his sticks chipped and battered.

http://www.clemburkedrummingproject.com/

Like many others I have a large collection of music across so many genres.

Nothing beats seeing a band perform live and sharing in that experience with so many others - usually strangers but friends for the night.

In so many ways live music can be compared with watching St Mirren. Some concerts totally suck despite the artists you longed to see play well. But there is a euphoric outpouring when it all clicks into place.

Anyway I digress.

Long live the LP - well looked after it will play long after CDs have deteriorated.

True - hard to believe how discoloured looking some of my first generation cd's have become . .

recently i dug out a few old tapes to listen to compilations that I had recorded from john peel sessions in the early eighties but with sitting in a box for god knows how many years they had become unplayable as I write this I am listening to a compilation/ mix that i have on virtual dj..new order... ceremony followed by belle and sebastian..photo jenny followed by little anthony and the imperials..better use your head albums are crap compilation tapes were always cool.

I was running a record shop in the virginia galleries then bloody amazon started selling stuff for less than what I paid for it and about the same time those large supermarkets started selling cd's and videos..plus the advent of the PC generation where you can download any album under the sun through sites like youtube and at the start kazaam meant that teenagers spent the cash on sex drugs and cheep booze.... instead of vinyl.

wee shits! meant I had to find a real job instead of sitting in a record shop listening to soul jazz rarities , smoking to many fags and doing the guardian crossword now I have to get up early and go to a real job..

That's what you get for not liking the Yes Covers......boxing.gif

Yeh , so joe Bloggs decided to buy at Amazon . Yeh , same thing . T'internet killed the record shops because they could stock vastly , more choice in the warehouse as opposed to the wee record shop . .

To quote the words of another famous poster "Everything changes". .

Yep but Joe Bloggs weighed up the pros and cons of using Amazon.

He would have known that he'd be putting local businesses out of .....business.

Just like the supermarkets, nobody forced him to do it.

He made the decision that saving a fiver on a record was worth more to him than retaining traditional record shops.

He also made the decision that watching the EPL footy for £40 a month or whatever was more entertaining than watching Saints or Alloa. Do you blame Sky for this or Joe? I always blame Joe if blame is the right word (and I'm not sure it is TBH).

It's Joe's decision.

It always has been and it always will be.

Amazon and Sky and Tesco have to know that just like HMV and Waterstones before them, Joe will dump them if a prettier skirt appears in front of him.

It's the way of business.

The key is not to get hung up on things remaining the same.

The UK consumer has repeatedly shown that he wants regular change.

Businesses either adapt to that or they die.

On the positive side, for a period of time you got to live the dream which is more than most people ever achieve in their entire lives.

Does anyone know where I can find a good shop selling record players for vinyl LP's?

I bought one off the internet and it bust almost immediately.

It's almost painful to walk past my Barry Manilow and Nina Mouskouri collection knowing they remain silent until I find a player.

rub a dub records in Glasgow.

Don't know how good it is but my local Tesco Superstore is selling a turntable with a USB connection for direct recording onto your hard drive. Can't remember the exact price but about £40 / £50.

I stupidly in a moment of complete madness gave my entire vinyl collection to a charity table to raise funds for medical equipment. Some fantastic and very rare stuff in there including Genesis 1st album. In 2009 one was sold for nearly £800 at auction. Probably got £1 for it at the charity table. Never mind :)

one of my favourite past times is going to the Oxfam shop just round the corner from my house and picking up good original tunes on vinyl for buttons, they could keep your Genesis though.

The first CD I bought was U2s 'The Joshua Tree'. It's 26 years old now. I dug it out yesterday after thinking about some of the stuff written in this thread. It certainly does seem a bit 'sepia' tinted around the edges, but still plays perfectly. At what point in their lives are CDs supposed to turn into jam and go 'flummph!' in some bizarre Eddie Izzard moment?

The first CD I bought was U2s 'The Joshua Tree'. It's 26 years old now. I dug it out yesterday after thinking about some of the stuff written in this thread. It certainly does seem a bit 'sepia' tinted around the edges, but still plays perfectly. At what point in their lives are CDs supposed to turn into jam and go 'flummph!' in some bizarre Eddie Izzard moment?

I have heard various horror stories and indeed read about them , whereby the disc in question ,. is badly discoloured or the foil is coming adrift from the plastic disc.

Looking forward to this topic getting back on topic as I'll be in the market for a turntable when we buy a bigger house next year.

As it stands I have roughly 23000 tracks stored on iCloud, at 25 quid a year I'm happy with that. I also use the standard version of spotify.

I'm 37 so was a child of the CD generation and through the 90s spent practically every wage or student loan on music.

But as I mature, and dined more time in Apollo.', I'm beginning to crave a turntable. I just picture myself sitting in Dave's room, headphones on when the good lady and the wean are in bed, listening to my music.

It's all I wAnt guys. Dave's room. I've wanted it since I moved into the GF's. It was there for the taking, then her best pal split up with her husband and moved in... She moved out and the GF fell pregnant. Why can't I have a bit of me space!

one of my favourite past times is going to the Oxfam shop just round the corner from my house and picking up good original tunes on vinyl for buttons, they could keep your Genesis though.

Genesis : A History is on Sky Arts Channel 121 the Noo.......

It's all I wAnt guys. Dave's room. I've wanted it since I moved into the GF's. It was there for the taking, then her best pal split up with her husband and moved in... She moved out and the GF fell pregnant. Why can't I have a bit of me space!

Get a shed, Dave (assuming you don't live in a flat).

I've fully installed power and lighting in mine now (my proudest achievement of 2013), and have the TV/DVD down there, and expect a Bluetooth speaker to be sitting under the tree tomorrow so I can play sounds from my tablet (the Wi-Fi even reaches the hut!). I've got a two-seater leather sofa and another seat in there in the lounge area. Optics to be fitted early in the new year, as well as a coffee machine and beer fridge.

Every man should have a cave.

Edited by Drew

Get a shed, Dave (assuming you don't live in a flat).

I've fully installed power and lighting in mine now (my proudest achievement of 2013), and have the TV/DVD down there, and expect a Bluetooth speaker to be sitting under the tree tomorrow so I can play sounds from my tablet (the Wi-Fi even reaches the hut!). I've got a two-seater leather sofa and another seat in there in the lounge area. Optics to be fitted early in the new year, as well as a coffee machine and beer fridge.

Every man should have a cave.

Weirdo. rolleyes.gif

Guest somner9

Ah those bally bygone days when only 12 inches of Throbbing Gristle (on vinyl) would do.

were we really better off then? was it all more real??? do kids nowadays not know they were born?

I can still remember countless visits to Listen on the high street over two days waiting for "Damned, damned, damned" (eponymous x3) to be released, eventually buying it, only to be held up at knife point half way down storey street where the knife weilding neds voiced there disdain that the record in the bag "wisnae Slade"... aye golden years right enough... bop, bop, bop, bop

While I would confess to being partial to gadgets, and have signed up to Deezer and think its the mutt's, I am inclined to think that this age we live in where everything is disposable certainly has its drawbacks.

I've found this with ebooks more than music, to be fair. Since I got a Nexus 7 tablet this time last year, I've downloaded dozens of cheap books but completed reading perhaps 25% percent of them. It is too easy not to bother making an effort, whereas that book on your bedside table that you've borrowed off a friend, from the library, or forked out £6.99 for is a more tangible reminder that you've still to plough through it.

I still prefer to discover new music by listenging to BBC Radio6 Music as opposed to social media or the likes. For me, the "wireless" will always be the radio.

I'm clearly a crusty old fart after all.