St Mirren V Dundee Utd, 26Th Dec 2013

faraway saint

After his wonder show today, I wonder how long we can expect to hang onto John McGinn, a fantastic legacy from Gus Macpherson's reign?

Indeed, Naismith, Kelly & McGinn are all proving to wonderful legacies from Gus Macpherson's focus on youth.

Well done Gus! clap.gif

Hi Gus, I know it's difficult to get back into football when you have sunk as low as you have in your career but wasting all your time trolling on here surely can't help.

Well done Danny he got everything 100% correct.

Correct team correct tactics getting Goodwin and Thommo in about them from the start and knocking them off their stride. High risk as I was certain that we would get a red card. However Danny took the correct action in removing the ghost from the action

My first game for far too long.

I thought thr Goodwin change was a great idea -the United gamesmanship was embarassing and disgraceful. The red card that was given was just, a split second later/earlier would have been a broken leg,

4-1 may sound a slaughter. It wasn't. Just a good win to the team who wanted to win more then the other lot did. Well done Saints. A giid day out.

Roll on sunday.

Well done Danny he got everything 100% correct. Correct team correct tactics getting Goodwin and Thommo in about them from the start and knocking them off their stride. High risk as I was certain that we would get a red card. However Danny took the correct action in removing the ghost from the action

I had a pretty good view of Goodwin's initial booking and I thought he was luck to get only a yellow. McGinn was absolute class today. He might not be quite as good technically as some of the United lads but the lad will make himself rich through the game,that's for sure.

I think it's utterly hilarious at the genuine seethe opposition fans have for big Jim, if any of these numpties were around in the 70's and 80's to see genuine hatchet men who make Jim look like a big gentle giant in comparison to the likes of Gregor Stevens and our own Abercromby.

Every team needs a Jim Goodwin, a proper hard tackling no nonesense footballer, who incidentally can ping a pass 60 or 70 yards when he's on his game. He's not everyone's cup of tea , but I love him in the stripes. :)

Absolutely ecstatic about the result and even more so by the performance.

All I can say is, "Where the fcuk did that come from?"

I went to the ground today to see,

The mighty Saint feeling hopeful, No more.

I left convinced that when you see the Dee,

A team is certain to score four.

Until this day it's been Dundee with the most

And United were the team with the win.

But wee Jackie's players worked too much on the Ghost,

And forgot about wee John McGinn!

YA BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I was soooooo wrong,

Well done to players and coaching staff.

A masterclass and a wonderful game.

thumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gif

What a difference from the 2 away performances. One of our best performers to day was Danny Lennon. Taking Jim Goodwin off before he received a red card was a master stroke, although the "falling over" and the antics of the United management team was shocking. The performance of ref Madden must be rated well below acceptable, some of the booking of Saints players bordered on the "siding with the other team". Thought John McGinn and Marc MacAusland were our top players. Good to see out on the touchline directing the team, it does make a difference.

Just about to have a good night to add to the great afternoon.

The only reason Goodwin was booked was because the referee reacted to the Dundee United support . He hadn't even awarded a free kick until then. He (madden) managed to surpass his performance at the Celtic game earlier this year . Overall, haven't enjoyed or been more surprised at a home performance since the rangers Christmas Eve match. It was a cracking good game of football. And credit to DUFC for playing football the proper away - apart from falling over like pansies too often.

Get Kello signed !!!

The only reason Goodwin was booked was because the referee reacted to the Dundee United support . He hadn't even awarded a free kick until then. He (madden) managed to surpass his performance at the Celtic game earlier this year . Overall, haven't enjoyed or been more surprised at a home performance since the rangers Christmas Eve match. It was a cracking good game of football. And credit to DUFC for playing football the proper away - apart from falling over like pansies too often.

Get Kello signed !!!

I thought he was booked for persistent fouling. When the ref gave the free kick I made that Jim Goodwins fifth - although I didn't think the one he was eventually booked for was actually a foul. It looked more like an accidental clash of heads.

I actually thought Dundee United were extremely poor today. They looked like they had the potential to break quickly but from the moment they went 2-0 down any notion they had of playing football was abandoned as they resorted to pumping high long balls forward for the rest of the match. They had gone 4-2-4 just before the sending off and went on to see out the game playing a rather silly 4-1-4 formation which was never going to work. No wonder John McGinn looked like he was really enjoying himself.

Fantastic result. Well done the players and Danny for getting team selection and tactics spot on.

We never allowed United to play to their strengths and made them look ordinary today.

Loved Chics Youngster reaction to our 4 th goal. A real GIRUY! Totally unprofessional but made me laugh!

Lets carry it on and pump Hearts on Sunday.

Not a result many if any of us saw coming, but a great turnaround after the last couple of games. Good performance by the players and the management. Would love to see this roll onto Sunday. Skelp the Jambos and pocket six home points in a Christmas week. Gotta love our wee club on days like today

Great victory today with the bookies over the moon!

Full marks to McGinn, Thommo, McGregor and yes...Cheesey played very well as did Goodwin despite his usual misdemeanour. Gowser gave his usual 100% but didn't have a great game as did Newton.

Sixth place is again within our grasp with two very winnable games coming up. Have a nice festive season everyone!

McGowan set up the 1st two goals, I'd say he had a good game! He provided great support up front

Very good performance first half today, thought we should have gone in more than one goal to the good. Excellent pressing from the whole team plus we looked dangerous every time we won the ball back. The midfield bunch of Newton, McGinn and McLean were excellent and linked well with McGowan and Thompson. Newton looks to have added something to his game from last season and the others continue to improve too.

Lost our way a bit second half with the changes we were forced into. Looked particularly weak down our right hand side, don't think DvZ was really at the races at the start of the half. All the good work we had been doing in keeping possession in the first half disappeared. Defended pretty solidly though and weathered the storm that was always going to come, thought McGregor looked like he was back to his old self and McAusland had a good game, given all the abuse he gets on here. Kello looked very good too. Once the player was sent off - which must have been about the only decision the ref gave us all game, he was shocking - we settled down and could easily have added more than the two we did.

All in all, huge improvements all over the pitch from the Motherwell game at home in September which was the last time I was up. Lennon's position looked precarious then but he has answered his critics, me included. Good football, desire to win, good work ethic and looking a threat going forward - all things missing in September and present in abundance today! A pleasure to watch. When you look back at the team that played the last time we beat United at home in 2001 under Hendrie, or any of the teams I grew up watching under Bone and Fitzpatrick, this team is simply light years ahead. They'd take double figures off any of the teams we had in the 90s (maybe only 5 off the Millenium Champions) and people would do well to put that in perspective the next time they criticise the team after a poor result.

Finally, many thanks to to the very kind Mr Zo for handing me a spare ticket outside the West Stand! Much appreciated by my old faither!

Great win but let's not get carried away, we still had to ride our luck today. In the first half we could easily have lost 3 or 4 goals but for great saves and again in the 2nd it was more down to poor united finishing than great defending that stopped them scoring as well as kello again stopping 2 or 3 shots/lobs.

Yes we did a lot of things very well today and can't really knock us but united on another day could have scored 4 or 5 quite easily

Well, the result of the season for us and a shock all round.

A coupon buster for some...........flipa.gif

Nice to see this result keeps some forum members from posting, makes the forum a nicer place. rolleyes.gif

Next couple of games could see us start to create some distance between the bottom 4 and possibly creep a place or 2 higher.

Well done to the manager and players, a performance to makes supporters proud. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Great win but let's not get carried away, we still had to ride our luck today. In the first half we could easily have lost 3 or 4 goals but for great saves and again in the 2nd it was more down to poor united finishing than great defending that stopped them scoring as well as kello again stopping 2 or 3 shots/lobs.

Yes we did a lot of things very well today and can't really knock us but united on another day could have scored 4 or 5 quite easily

On another day, we could easily have scored another two or three though. 5-3 might have been a fairer reflection.

An outstanding performance from everyone in black and white today with a few special individual performances. Danny called it right after the Motherwell defeat. When we work hard and do the simple things well then we can be a formidable side who will give anyone a game on the day. Today we started brightly with a real bite in the tackle, pressing all over the pitch and a willingness to win their own individual battles. Cup tie like atmosphere. Loved it!

We gave the inform team in the league a real going over and took our chances while kello pulled off some terrific saves at key times.

We are so lucky to have Thomohawk at the club. The best striker to play at the club in my 30 years of following St Mirren. The guy is immense. Always grafting for the team, well apart from first couple of months of this season when he and a few others appeared to down tools and wait for Danny to get the chop. A wee blip but his goalscoring record at this level has been sensational.

I am still in love with John McGinn. When McGinn is in the starting 11 we are a much better side. He must start every week when fit. An outstanding talent with a big future in the game.