St Mirren V Dundee Utd, 26Th Dec 2013

faraway saint

I thought he was booked for persistent fouling. When the ref gave the free kick I made that Jim Goodwins fifth - although I didn't think the one he was eventually booked for was actually a foul. It looked more like an accidental clash of heads.

I actually thought Dundee United were extremely poor today. They looked like they had the potential to break quickly but from the moment they went 2-0 down any notion they had of playing football was abandoned as they resorted to pumping high long balls forward for the rest of the match. They had gone 4-2-4 just before the sending off and went on to see out the game playing a rather silly 4-1-4 formation which was never going to work. No wonder John McGinn looked like he was really enjoying himself.

And how many were actual fouls ? As opposed to Dundee pansies falling down whenever he was in close proximity ? They -and they are not alone - we're trying to reduce our team to ten men

Great win but let's not get carried away, we still had to ride our luck today. In the first half we could easily have lost 3 or 4 goals but for great saves and again in the 2nd it was more down to poor united finishing than great defending that stopped them scoring as well as kello again stopping 2 or 3 shots/lobs.

Yes we did a lot of things very well today and can't really knock us but united on another day could have scored 4 or 5 quite easily

Nah im no having that big yards, we were superb today there wasn't a failure in our team especially Kello

Naismith and Mcginn all 3 were fantastic, united are too good a team for it to have been a straight forward

win, but the games all about sticking the ball in the net and we were far better at it today, well deserved win..clap.gif

great reading all the comments on today's game. Wish I had been there. I cant believe the last time we beat Dundee Utd at home as that mad midweek evening game in 2001. I remember it well. My friends Donald and Sandy came to watch it here with me and how they laughed as I tore off my Saints top and pulled open the window and threw it out, breaking my glasses in the process! when Gillies scored the winner I went nuts if truth be told!

Cant quite recall if the winner was the penalty or the great finish from McPhee's nod down.

Anyway, we are a better team now than then for sure and days like today make it all worth while.

Better beat Hearts on Sunday though....jeest to be on the safe side!

great reading all the comments on today's game. Wish I had been there. I cant believe the last time we beat Dundee Utd at home as that mad midweek evening game in 2001. I remember it well. My friends Donald and Sandy came to watch it here with me and how they laughed as I tore off my Saints top and pulled open the window and threw it out, breaking my glasses in the process! when Gillies scored the winner I went nuts if truth be told!

Cant quite recall if the winner was the penalty or the great finish from McPhee's nod down.

Anyway, we are a better team now than then for sure and days like today make it all worth while.

Better beat Hearts on Sunday though....jeest to be on the safe side!

Gillies was there today picking the tickets out of the drum for the Xmas draw. The announcer said that Ricky scored against Utd in that last home win scoring a penalty and a late winner...and who scored against us that day? Yes, Thommo!

We have a good number of youngsters in our side and they turned in terrific performances today and outshone the so called golden wonders of the current Scottish game. It's not just United that have all the young talent in Scotland.

Keep up the good work young buddies.

Just read mcnamaras comments. He's been unprofessional on two counts. Firstly to comment that an opposition player should have been sent off, secondly to justify his comment by stating that Lennon took him off for fear of Goodwin being red carded. None of his feckin business why another manager subs a player. I'm not a great fan of losing with dignity and I accept that interviewing a manager after a stuffing is journalism at it's hungriest, but he needs to learn to keep some thoughts private. Our Danny can be a bit too diplomatic at times but he would never embarrass himself or the club in the bitter way McNamara did today. Can't wait for the cup game which now has extra spice given today's proceedings. I also read that there was some heated exchanges on the touchline. Let's hope our Danny and our jim have got under the skin of the united coaches.

Thought it was a great game, kello was mom for me, pulled off some unbelievable saves, top corner from rankin in the 2nd half was the pick of the bunch. John McGinn was different class, bossed the midfield, and fair play to Lennon for taking Goodwin off, right decision was one tackle away from being sent off. Any update on Kenny McLean injury?