St Mirren V Dundee Utd, 26Th Dec 2013

faraway saint

that was the most enjoyable game of football I have watched in many a year!

Skill on display from both teams.

End to end stuff.

With teams like that, it was almost beyond belief that the ref was even noticed far less centre stage for most of the first half... he really wants to be a panto villain! He even baited the Saints fans in the family stand... not once, but TWICE! A player would have been carded for that!

Strongest starting eleven combined with the right starting mentality... when we do that we are a match for ANY team in the league bar none... pity we don't combine them and sustain it for 90 minutes very often, as we have the makings of a very capable team indeed as I have long believed.

Kello is quite simply the best keeper since Campbell Money... I'd love us to keep him... even if it meant sacrificing depth or players for other areas... the keeper is the one position that can regularly save a team points... and he is a stopper who will do that.

Young Kelly reminds me of Dummett early doors last season... the potential is obvious but so is his need to learn and to improve his positional sense. If the progress mirrors that of our Geordie loanee then we will have a real player on our books.

Naismith is already looking a very accomplished athlete and a strong defender with a great engine. I think I'm falling in love with this lad!!! cloud9.gif

McGinn is quite simply the most exciting prospect I have seen at the club in as many years as I can recall. I WANT him to go all the way to the top of the game and look on with pride on the number of years he spent with Saints growing and learning his trade!!! Best outfield player today.

Tactically we got it spot on. Even changing once McLean had to leave... moving Kelly forward with Grainger behind him kept us on the front foot with Kelly as an attacking option who had defensive cover.

My all time favourite game of football involved a 4-1 home win against the Arabs and Adidas Samba's!!!

This was helluva close to being up there with it!!! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I can't count the times I've been striding dejectedly up love street, or greenhill road thinking that I can't see where our next win is coming from, only to be confounded and delighted by a sudden and inexplicable form reversal. We are the Paisley Saints and an unlikely win is due. I've not managed a game this season by virtue of the fact that I now live on the other side of the planet, but I live in hope... COYS.. I'm now off for a midnight swim and a cold cold beer, life is soo feckin hard down here. thumbup2.gifclap.gificon12.gif

Like most I went to the game yesterday thinking if we get a draw itll be a good result, in the end up I was checking to see if there was time for a fifth!

Very hard to pick a MOTM. kello is a fantastic keeper, well struggle to hold onto him. cheesy n McGregor were solid at the back, Naismith and Kelly are an absolute joy to watch, they'll run the length of the park all day and are an attacking threat to boot. newton I thought started poorly but came right into his game, mcklean looked decent and I hope his injury isn't to bad. Mcginn, for me is possibly our best player. pace, strength and skill to torment defenders all day, his goal was fantastic. McGowan is clearly back to full strength after his injury, he was our best attacking threat yesterday and thommo is probably in the best form of his career! holds the ball up well, first to every ball and never gives up!

Goodwin was diving in like an idiot yesterday when there was no need, hes good at what he does but was glad to see him hooked! DVZ has possibly found his new role for us, played fantastic in the role yesterday. Grainger coming on to let Kelly play higher up the park was a good move by lennon though he looks like his confidence is shot to bits, I hope he recovers his form from his hearts days! Game was done by the time harkins got on!

Madden had a shocker yesterday, some of the stuff he was giving utd in the first half was unreal! was right to book Goodwin and got the sending off spot on but his cards for newton and thommo??? what were they even for??

No US proxy server needed tonight, available to all territories

Even from the short highlights you can see how well mcginn played, great goal and superb lay off for naismith's goal.

Well, what a great "watch" that was. clap.gif

Put's a few things to bed that have bee thrown at the team & manager this season.

Goal drought..................................Check.

Never beating a "top six" team......................Check.

Like most I would have been satisfied with a draw before the game, and even that wasn't with any great expectation.

The next 2 games are winnable, even before yesterday, and a minimum of 4 points should see us in a more than comfortable position early In the New Year.

Scottish Cup final anyone? whistling.gif

Turned what corner? All we have beat on this mighty run is the dross of the day. Still yet to beat 1 quality team this season. Come to think, since we beat Ceptic at Hampden we have really beat fekk all.

Danny walk away please, you are clueless. Bring it on Danny lovers?

While yesterdays result doesn't make us world beaters, anyone getting too carried away should take a deep breath, there's still quite a few ups and downs to come, the posts above are typical over-reaction to last weeks gubbing which didn't make us shite.

Our squad is very thin. If Thompson/McGinn/Kello/McGowan gets an injury we have no real cover to replace these guys. The manager only has 12/13 to really choose from, not many options for all the heroes who slag him off.

We should all hope that Campbell slots straight into the team and carries some of the weight that Thompsons had to carry.

Wonder who we'll drop? Going to have to be one of our decent midfielders.

Edited by faraway saint

We should all hope that Campbell slots straight into the team and carries some of the weight that Thompsons had to carry.

Wonder who we'll drop? Going to have to be one of our decent midfielders.

Therein lies the problem.

I believe Adam is right sided so I can only see three options. Newton, McGowan or Thommo himself. All of whom are pretty important to our team.

Edited to say.

There is a fourth option.

drop our Captain and go to a conventional 4-4-2.

Edited by stlucifer

Anybuddie else notice Harkins body language after Thommo got the 4th?

Sums him right up..

I did notice but I thought he just looked pissed aff he never got to it, thought he could maybe have scored it? Still he shouldn't be taking the huff coz thommo done what he couldn't!

It is great to be able to go along to St Mirren park and see a great bunch of young players in Kelly, Naismith, McLean and McGinn playing in the stripes. Hope we can keep this team together and we can look forward to a good couple of seasons of them battering teams all over the country.

I hadn't noticed and it was disgraceful. I wonder if any of the players noticed and asked him what the f**k his problem is.

Maybe his constant abuse from sections of the "support" are getting him down?

Who knows. Not sure I'd be "over the moon" putting up with that although he'll have to get over it, some people will never let up, just ask Lennon.